Laptop Screens - Thinkpad vs HP ProBook

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2010 6:24 pm
[OP]
Aug 18, 2002
81 posts
1 upvote

Laptop Screens - Thinkpad vs HP ProBook

I'm about to buy a new laptop. I'm wondering which of these laptops would have the best screen? I'll be doing a lot of photo editing on this computer so a quality screen is really important ...

HP ProBook (4320s or 4420s)
Lenovo Thinkpad (t410 or t510) - there's also an option called HD+, not sure how it's different from regular screens
Asus K52Jr-X4
Asus VT / LVT series
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2713 posts
309 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely not ASUS... I would go for Lenovo.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Lenovos are known to have crap screens. I'm not sure how good the screen is on the HP.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2002
81 posts
1 upvote
Getting some conflicting advice here ... Does Dennis have a point about Lenovos having bad displays or is he wrong?
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2004
1572 posts
171 upvotes
Delta
yyzyvr wrote: Getting some conflicting advice here ... Does Dennis have a point about Lenovos having bad displays or is he wrong?
I have a T61p here and the screen is definitely subpar in terms of color vibrancy and brightness. I'm comparing it against screens I've seen on the VAIO and Macbook, and my dedicated LCD monitor.

Has it changed in the later models, especially the LED backlit ones? I can't say.

edit: it's not the only lenovo laptop screen I've seen, in fact I've seen plenty, and they are all subpar.
Jul 5, 2007
454 posts
95 upvotes
Langley
he's not wrong per se. thinkpads used to have the best screen on the market before they were sold off to lenovo. but the problem is that they recently switched to cheaper screens w/ LED black lighting to compensate for the "lower" quality. they're still decent though but i've never used a probook before so i cant compare their quality.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7493 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
I got the latest HP Probook HP4320s.

Very nice laptop but the screen is the weakest link...it has poor blacks but it is usable in daylight outdoor. Fairly poor viewing angles just like other laptops. Mind you I don't like any other laptop screen out there either.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9258 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
My Thinkpad T500's screen has excellent brightness and contrast but the colors aren't even as vivid as on my $hitty desktop TN panels...

But the LED backlighting is a great improvement - the brightness is perfectly even.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 1TB Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
I've owned several R and T series Thinkpads from both pre- and post- Lenovo. I've never considered the colors, contrast, and vibrancy of the screen to be very good. Brightness is good, and build quality of the screen used to be excellent under IBM; but overall build quality/feel now feels mediocre under Lenovo.

Just my opinion though.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Can't comment on build quality yet.. still waiting for my x201 to come.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1541 posts
7 upvotes
Good grief, the Asus definitely has the best screen, by far. The Probook isn't meant for that kind of work.. It's a business laptop (a lot of the Probook's have matte screens for that reason). The IBM screens are blah. Not good, not bad, just blah.

No question the Asus has the best, most vibrant screens of those choices.
You can claim yourself an expert or a guru and still be a moron...
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3698 posts
119 upvotes
Lenovo T series, in my opinion, is superior to any comparable HP notebook offerings at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9258 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
zonetbh wrote: Lenovo T series, in my opinion, is superior to any comparable HP notebook offerings at the moment.
That it is...but this thread is about the screen specifically and neither business laptops in general nor the T-series do a great job in this field.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 1TB Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 32" ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
yyzyvr wrote: The results for XPS 16 in that link are encouraging me to consider that laptop too.
Keep in mind the RGB-LED screen they tested is an extra 200-300 I think.
Apr 13, 2010
294 posts
589 upvotes
I'm typing this on a T500 from last fall, and the viewing angle on this screen is absolutely terrible if colour fidelity is valued. It seems like there's no viewing angle that results in my seeing consistent colours for the entire screen area. However, it's perfectly fine for what I use it for, and I really can't afford to have a higher standard than this.

Other than that, it's a pretty decent cheap laptop, except for the headphone jack, which I can't use my Etymotic headphones with because there is fuzz. Cheap headphones work fine, but this is no excuse for faulty motherboard design. I found someone else complaining about the same problem on a Lenovo forum, which implies to me that the problem is not isolated to my laptop.