Computers & Electronics

Which laptop should i buy?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 9:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 20, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes

Which laptop should i buy?

I'm in need for a new laptop for university and i've narrowed down to these two choices. Which one is better?

Acer 15.6" Gaming Laptop
-intel Ci5 9300H
-512GB SSD
-12GB RAM
-NVIDIA GTX 1050
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 0/13642533

ASUS TUF 15.6" Gaming Laptop FX505DD-BH51-CB
-AMD Ryzen 5-3550H
-512GB SSD
-8GB RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/13974640

Acer Aspire 5 15.6" Laptop A515-54-708W
- Intel Core i7-10510U
- 512GB SSD
- 16GB RAM
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 0/13978137

Lenovo S540 14" Touchscreen Laptop
-Intel Core i5-10210U
-512GB SSD
-12GB RAM
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... 0/13961780


Any other suggestions would be nice too.
Need something to do programing on and other basics with some light gaming
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9237 posts
4522 upvotes
Markham
Do you need carry it around? Gaming laptop is quite heavy
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 20, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
Not really, I bring it to uni maybe once a month whenever I have big projects due
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7980 posts
2672 upvotes
Maple
Budget?
Got Lenovo Y540 15 inch for my son’s university couple months back. Now is good time to get one. I saw some deal threads posted.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 20, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
Under 1k. That's way over my budget at least the ones I found.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7980 posts
2672 upvotes
Maple
MTLGod wrote: Under 1k. That's way over my budget at least the ones I found.
I don’t game at all, so I don’t know. But I know with that budget you don’t go far with laptop and gaming. I would forget about gaming on laptop, then you can get good one.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 20, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
There's two none gaming laptop on the of post. Are those goods?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7980 posts
2672 upvotes
Maple
MTLGod wrote: There's two none gaming laptop on the of post. Are those goods?
To me, the brands are weak. You get what you pay for.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
@MTLGod, have you considered a refurbished laptop? You could have a look at www.dellrefurbished.ca, www.infotechcomputers.ca, laptopcloseout.ca, and ca.refurb.io, which are among the larger and more reputable Microsoft Authorized Refurbishers. You can generally get a gently used small business laptop with 4-16 GB of RAM for under $350, before taxes and shipping. If you're fine with 4 GB of RAM, you can even score something sub $200. :)

I bought a Dell Latitude E6440 with 4 GB of RAM, 14" screen, Windows 7 Pro (which I upgraded, for free, to Windows 10 Pro), and free Office 365 desktop installation through Microsoft Office for Education program with post-secondary institutions for $249 + tax and shipping. It was a cosmetic B grade and it looked awesome; only some minor wear on the back corner(s) of the laptop.

Cheers,
Doug
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2011
977 posts
632 upvotes
Québec
MTLGod wrote: I'm in need for a new laptop for university and i've narrowed down to these two choices. Which one is better?

Acer 15.6" Gaming Laptop
-intel Ci5 9300H
-512GB SSD
-12GB RAM
-NVIDIA GTX 1050
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 0/13642533

ASUS TUF 15.6" Gaming Laptop FX505DD-BH51-CB
-AMD Ryzen 5-3550H
-512GB SSD
-8GB RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/13974640

Acer Aspire 5 15.6" Laptop A515-54-708W
- Intel Core i7-10510U
- 512GB SSD
- 16GB RAM
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 0/13978137

Lenovo S540 14" Touchscreen Laptop
-Intel Core i5-10210U
-512GB SSD
-12GB RAM
-https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... 0/13961780


Any other suggestions would be nice too.
Need something to do programing on and other basics with some light gaming
Check this deal:
https://www.costco.ca/acer-nitro-5-an51 ... 27403.html
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
Wow, that does seem to be a decent deal for a gaming laptop, though I have limited expertise in this area. How does Costco online ordering work, since they can't actually verify if you have a Costco membership or not? Can you add in someone else's Costco membership, or order off their Costco.ca account and just use your credit card and shipping address?

Not sure why OP is inclined for a gaming laptop as a university student. When would one realistically have time to play games?

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7980 posts
2672 upvotes
Maple
dmehus wrote: Wow, that does seem to be a decent deal for a gaming laptop, though I have limited expertise in this area. How does Costco online ordering work, since they can't actually verify if you have a Costco membership or not? Can you add in someone else's Costco membership, or order off their Costco.ca account and just use your credit card and shipping address?

Not sure why OP is inclined for a gaming laptop as a university student. When would one realistically have time to play games?

Cheers,
Doug
Haha, I was thinking same in September when my son entered McMaster. He already bought Lenovo T480. Well he asked for gaming laptop for his university residency. He gave his T480 to his high school sister. I bought him Lenovo Legion Y540. He manages time for school and gaming. He knows doing well in university is priority 1.
Last edited by teoconca on Dec 22nd, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 20, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
Lol it's the reason why do all nighters. Tbh we probably don't need to do all nighters of we didn't waste so much time gaming
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1040 upvotes
Kelowna
teoconca wrote: Haha, I was thinking same in September when my son entered McMaster. He already bought Lenovo T480. Well he asked for gaming laptop for his university residency. He gave his T480 to his high school sister. I bought him Lenovo Legion Y540. He manages time for school and gaming. He knows doing well in university is priority 1.
LOL...that was nice of him (did he buy the Lenovo T480 originally, or did you?). I wish I had access to that computing power in high school. Here's the computer, a Hitachi VisionBook Pro, my parents bought me in or around 1999. It was a Christmas + birthday combination gift and reportedly cost them between $2,500-2,900 CAD.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... -Pro-7340/

Mine might've had an 8 GB 5,400 (or possibly 7,200) hard drive, but could've been 4 GB as those specs say. Definitely the processor speed of 133 mHz and 16 MB RAM is correct.

It lasted me until 2003 when I bought my Dell Dimension desktop PC, which I kept until 2012. Good machine, it was (well, both were actually)...the only thing that failed is the colours on the monitor were shot so the greys would appear pink. Eventually, most everything had a pink hue to it. Still have the recovery discs and my Windows 95 installation CD. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention some of the keyboard key tops were missing when I finally recycled it, so I would type by hitting the gel/silicone springs that would normally hold the keys. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7980 posts
2672 upvotes
Maple
dmehus wrote: LOL...that was nice of him (did he buy the Lenovo T480 originally, or did you?). I wish I had access to that computing power in high school. Here's the computer, a Hitachi VisionBook Pro, my parents bought me in or around 1999. It was a Christmas + birthday combination gift and reportedly cost them between $2,500-2,900 CAD.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... -Pro-7340/

Mine might've had an 8 GB 5,400 (or possibly 7,200) hard drive, but could've been 4 GB as those specs say. Definitely the processor speed of 133 mHz and 16 MB RAM is correct.

It lasted me until 2003 when I bought my Dell Dimension desktop PC, which I kept until 2012. Good machine, it was (well, both were actually)...the only thing that failed is the colours on the monitor were shot so the greys would appear pink. Eventually, most everything had a pink hue to it. Still have the recovery discs and my Windows 95 installation CD. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention some of the keyboard key tops were missing when I finally recycled it, so I would type by hitting the gel/silicone springs that would normally hold the keys. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
He paid for T480 with 3 years extended warranty. I bought Legion for him. You reminded me my first bought used 20mb HDD for $250 for my XT (in 1990).
I had one of those Hitachi laptop from work.
Sr. Member
Jul 16, 2019
646 posts
323 upvotes
Since I have had to buy laptops for uni students, here are my two cents.
I would suggest you choose between thin and light laptops with SSD OR a gaming laptop.
For thin and light, BBC has a Asus X512 i5/12/512SSD for $649. This is a 15" narrow bezel laptop that is less than 18mm thick. There are other brands and options. I would suggest a Intel i5 or Ryzen 5 with 8/512. That should be good for your entire 4 years. Pick a laptop that has the specs and is designed well - you do not want to regret your purchase just to save a few dollars. I would not buy a laptop with a HDD, a SSD is a must.
For gaming laptops there are a profusion of cheap gaming laptops from multiple brands. Unfortunately for gaming laptops you need to pay attention to other things and not just the specs - things like cooling, driver updates, etc. Even though they may have similar specs they may perform differently. Also depends on what games you plan to play. A GTX1050 like the model you quoted is the lowest graphic card and will not play VR for example. If you are doing basic gaming its fine.
Banned
Dec 22, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
My first choice is Asus. You can try with this one. I have already bought 3 of them (Asus). Not bad you can try.
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
182 posts
188 upvotes
What games ? The 1050 is Fortnite level only
new motto: Diversity is a great thing; but unity, unity, unity is Canada’s strength
by Rex Murphy

Top