Students

Laptop, Tablet, Binder w/ Notes, Note-book.

Poll: For taking notes...

• Total votes: 72. You have voted on this poll.
Laptop

17%
Tablet

10%
Binder w/ notes

33%
Note-book. (no, not a laptop, an actual.. notebook D: )

40%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3368 posts
23 upvotes

Laptop, Tablet, Binder w/ Notes, Note-book.

Which do you prefer ?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
3778 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I have a laptop in class but I never take notes.. I'm usually browsing the net :lol:

I have an actual binder that I take notes in if I hear anything that won't be in the textbook.. but usually never.
Aug 18, 2005
352 posts
39 upvotes
Tablet works wonders in Economics classes w/ all the graphs...
Jun 21, 2002
144 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i use a clipboard with looseleaf, then i transfer the notes into binders once i get home and go thru them
~Eternal~
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19744 posts
4351 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
A 3 ring binder with paper and a pen, for several reasons:

1. I took engineering and it is full of all kinds of crazy diagrams that you simply can't enter into a notebook at any meaningful speed.

2. If you don't get used to writing A LOT on paper, your hand is gonna break down during midterm / exams because you won't be able to write for 2 hours straight.

3. CHEAP! Laptops and tablets are expensive, high maintenance, require electricity and are easily stolen.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7081 posts
139 upvotes
Nepean
i dont like binder

so i use notebooks ..(not laptop) but sometimes i go through a semester without using even 1 notebook ..big problems there lol
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2223 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
I used notebooks when I was in school. Actually even now in the working world, I still use them for taking down notes. :)
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2812 posts
201 upvotes
GTA
i'm probably gonna use a clipboard and looseleaf paper or paper in a 3 ring binder
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2617 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ragnarok0T5 wrote:i use a clipboard with looseleaf, then i transfer the notes into binders once i get home and go thru them
You and me both :)
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Aug 11, 2005
116 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I just go with the plain old clipboard and looseleaf. A tablet sounds appealing but I still don't think you have the same flexibility and durability you can get out of a piece of paper. I have a laptop too, but the only time it comes to school with me is when I have presentations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1659 upvotes
Ragnarok0T5 wrote:i use a clipboard with looseleaf, then i transfer the notes into binders once i get home and go thru them
That's what I do. Print the notes out. Put it in my clipboard. Go home and put it in the binder. Basically everyone does this in UW. Except some people actually bring their binder.
Jun 14, 2004
26 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
depends on the class. normally most eng/science classes require a pen and paper setup. artsie/soc-sci classes can be handled with laptops for the most part, cause there are more text and not as much diagrams, weird squiggly formulas and diagrams.

i tend to end up bringing both to class. yes it gets heavy, yes it's a pain, but it's more practical.

on my first term, i have this system to just bring my clipboard to class and transfer everything to their individual binders when i get home. it worked okay, but by second term, those binders are not even tagged/named. and i end up keeping everything, and i mean everything in my flimsy clipboard. by the time i finish the year, somehow my clipboard is the size of one of my phys textbook, and all my note's in it. that might've explained the drop in average. LOL
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
it's usually best for me that i dont have my laptop with me in class because i wont be taking any notes at all... :P
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography