Computers & Electronics

Laptop turns on and fan runs but no display or bios display?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2016 6:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1246 posts
71 upvotes
Vaughan

Laptop turns on and fan runs but no display or bios display?

My girlfriends brother says his laptop was getting really hot so he opened t up and tried cleaning it. He took it part twice and put it back together and this problem occurred. He says he is 100% sure he put everything back correctly and didn't break anything in the process. I asked him if he removed the thermal paste from the CPU and he said he didn't know what it was and he wiped it off (LOL). He also took the laptop apart on a carpet with socks on so I'm guessing he fried not only the CPU but also discharged some static to something? I don't really want to start replacing parts because I'm not familiar with opening up laptops but he said he only wants his pictures. Il probably just take the HDD out and pull everything off if I can. What do you guys think happened to it?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1404 posts
849 upvotes
Barrie ON
If it was working before, then it was probably just reassembled incorrectly.

Maybe the cable connecting to the display isn't properly seated. Connect an external monitor and use the function keys to switch the display from the laptop display to the external display.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
marcodt wrote: What do you guys think happened
He was dropped on his head as a baby and a tragic series events put him in the same room as a laptop.
Drop laptop off at repair center. Not literally, what I mean is he should be careful with it still and place it on the counter at a repair center and ask for help.