• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 3:32 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes

Laptop for under 1000

I’ve been driving myself nuts trying to find a good laptop that checks off all the boxes. Everytime I think I found the gem, I find out the manufacture screwed up something on the Canadian variant, whether it’s no backlight keyboard or the screen is terrible etc.

I’m looking for a nice and lightweight laptop, doesn’t need to game, if it does it’s a bonus. Would prefer 16gb of ram or atleast be upgradable myself, decent battery life, nice screen etc.

What’s out there that I’m missing?
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30963 posts
1777 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Used Thinkpad, though they're a lot pricier than they used to be.
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
I prefer new for warranty purposes
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1428 posts
588 upvotes
Midland
I would say Asus, as they sometimes have some nice ones under $1000.
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
That’s what I’ve been looking at. Any particular model that stands out? Vivobook series comes up a lot but a lot of complaints on screen quality
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1036 posts
663 upvotes
Canada
Hemi558 wrote: I’ve been driving myself nuts trying to find a good laptop that checks off all the boxes. Everytime I think I found the gem, I find out the manufacture screwed up something on the Canadian variant, whether it’s no backlight keyboard or the screen is terrible etc.

I’m looking for a nice and lightweight laptop, doesn’t need to game, if it does it’s a bonus. Would prefer 16gb of ram or atleast be upgradable myself, decent battery life, nice screen etc.

What’s out there that I’m missing?
What about this one:
https://www.costco.ca/lenovo-ideapad-fl ... 58044.html
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
That was actually one I came across earlier. Quite a few negative reviews on it, most recent ones both having keyboard issues. Luckily Costco has a good return policy. I also like the size, anyone with first hand experience on this?
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
No backlight keyboard on the Asus one so never mind that lol
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
Anymore suggestions? Still haven’t settled on anything yet.
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
So I end up upping my budget after coming across a great deal on the Lenovo 9i. Was on sale for $700 on their top spec mica model, should be here next week!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8362 posts
5168 upvotes
Toronto
Hemi558 wrote: So I end up upping my budget after coming across a great deal on the Lenovo 9i. Was on sale for $700 on their top spec mica model, should be here next week!
Can't go wrong with Lenovo. We have 4 in our household and even my oldest T430 from 2009 still runs like a tank and I still use it to run Ableton Live and FL Studio on Windows 10. I got my wife the Yoga 14s recently and she absolutely loves it
[OP]
Newbie
May 15, 2017
96 posts
44 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Can't go wrong with Lenovo. We have 4 in our household and even my oldest T430 from 2009 still runs like a tank and I still use it to run Ableton Live and FL Studio on Windows 10. I got my wife the Yoga 14s recently and she absolutely loves it
I’ve always heard good things about Lenovo, so fingers crossed I’ll love it lol. I haven’t had a laptop in several years, and it was an old toshiba satellite. I haven’t owned a more premium laptop before, I used to build gaming computers so the laptop was more of an afterthought.

Now my main combo is an Xbox series X and the Yoga as my main pc

Top