• Dec 2nd, 2017 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 7, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote

Laptop for under $400 in canada?

Our old laptop won't run flash/Shockwave and it run so slow it's definitely time for an upgrade. I'm looking for a deal on a laptop and I'm hoping the black friday/cyber Monday will help.

All she does is Facebook gaming (yoworld mostly) and watching YouTube. She's talked about uploading videos and doing basic video editing for the YouTube videos she makes plus rendering videos so that may need to be taken into account when I buy one.

Am I too early to be looking? Is there any good deals available to us in Canada? What kind of specs should I be looking for?
61 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1340 posts
544 upvotes
Keep eye on Microsoft Website they tend to have good deals on Windows laptop.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
honestly in that range, I am a fan of a used probook/elitebook. they perform well and are built to last. They will kick any laptop in the $400 range that is brand new into next year.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote
What kind of probook/elitebook specs should I be looking For?
[OP]
Sep 7, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote
Bump... any new deals pop up or suggested laptop specs to watch for within my budget?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1362 posts
363 upvotes
Look for anything from a big brand, I have had the most success in the past few years with ASUS and Acer. Anything with 8 gigs of ram and a newer i5 processor should work fine for the needs you listed. You might have to go for $399+taxes
Jul 15, 2003
690 posts
154 upvotes
What jg123 said about RAM and processor.

Processor should be Ivy Bridge or newer (3rd gen+). Could go 2nd generation with Sandy Bridge if the deal is really tempting. Also for hard drive, try and find something using a SSD drive, that would make things really speedy. Though, if there is a deal on a laptop with a large hard drive like 1TB and the drive is relatively fast, then you could consider that.

I'd rather go used on Craigslist and get something for roughly $200.

If you're doing video editing, the more RAM the better.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote
djray, When you said "relatively fast" for the hard drive, you were talking like 7200RPM + right?

I've seen some laptops that have had some similar specs but they're from websites similar to newegg where they would list the specs and that it was refurbished but it was a grade "B" or "A". I have seen "C" listed but something tells me that I shouldn't even look at those ones. Has anyone had any success ordering a laptop with a "B" or "A" refurbished grade"?

The video editing would be very VERY basic as in she wants to try making youtube video's and most of the editing would be transitions and such. I have some trust issues with using craigslist but i'll keep my eyes out in those Facebook bidding wars for something descent plus at least now I have an idea of some specs to watch for.
Jul 15, 2003
690 posts
154 upvotes
7200 RPM definitely recommended. Could go down to 5400 if necessary, but you should try and get a SSD drive if possible. The HDD space will be less, but performance will be better.

I'm not a fan of refurbished products from 3rd-party vendors. You might as well go used.
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Also looking for a good deal on a new laptop. Best performance/specs laptop for under $500.....any suggestions?
Nov 25, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Montreal
Is there an i5/8gb ram/256ssd laptop available for ~$500? Has there ever been or is that more of a 6-700 dollar spec?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3154 posts
287 upvotes
dannydevito wrote: Is there an i5/8gb ram/256ssd laptop available for ~$500? Has there ever been or is that more of a 6-700 dollar spec?
Don't think that you'd get a 256SSD for that price.

I haven't seen an i5 for $399 IIRC. Anyone see one anywhere?
Jan 27, 2008
414 posts
129 upvotes
GTA
dannydevito wrote: Is there an i5/8gb ram/256ssd laptop available for ~$500? Has there ever been or is that more of a 6-700 dollar spec?
I have only seen refurb with those spec at that price range. For that spec, closest I have seen was around $750-800 Acer model.
Jul 15, 2003
690 posts
154 upvotes
Came across this one:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tiger-di ... d-2146548/

$260 for a refurbished Lenovo T410 - First gen i7, 4GB RAM, 180 SSD. It's not 2nd gen or higher, but you might be interested.

FWIW, I got a really good deal on a 4th-gen core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD on Craigslist the other day with a ton of extras for $250. I still recommend going used on Craigslist. It's just the luck of the draw.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)