Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12218 posts
1971 upvotes
Vancouver

Laptop versus Chromebook?

Why are chrome books so expensive? Some appear to be the same price or more than a laptop. Is it because they are using better technology?

Laptops appear to be much more versatile and hard drives etc.

What’s the difference between a chromebook and laptop at a $500 price point.
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12218 posts
1971 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I’ve been doing some research since I posted. I think I’m being swayed to a Chromebook. Something different. I will be keeping my eyes out for sales.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

It really boils down to how you intend to use the device. I consider a chromebook or tablet to be a large screen version of a smart phone, while a laptop is a portable version of a home computer. The other consideration is how you need your tablet/laptop to connect to other devices.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chro ... vs-windows
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote: I consider a chromebook or tablet to be a large screen version of a smart phone, while a laptop is a portable version of a home computer.
Basically this, especially with Chromebooks being able to run Android now.
You're SEVERELY limited as to what you can do with a Chromebook because of the OS. Linux is an option which does open it up quite a bit, but you still can't install Windows based programs easily.
That's not to say they don't have their uses.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy one again. I have a couple of them and my oldest one JUST hit the update sunset which I didn't think was a thing with Chromebooks.
If it was a computer based machine I could install another up to date OS it without issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
I've posted a bit on CBs & am a fanboy so thought I'd let it out there 1st.

As to the topic, a CB is a laptop& is def a computer so topic point is moot. Whether one should get on the CB train or not can only be answered with personal needs & wants. Answer this few questions....

1. Is there a specific Win/Mac app that is a requisite?
2. Does one need a general all-in-one machine?

If the answer to the above is yes, then IMHO, no a CB isn't your thing (much like a tablet as an only device isn't). However if one already has (or have easy access to) a Win/Mac, then a CB is a great addition to the family. I use my CB primarily for content/media consumption, emails, word pro with a smattering of android games & apps.

In this role (again IMO), my CB can't be beat. I can surf any sites (dodgy, extremely dodgy & definitely dodgy or otherwise) with no fear. Where Angels fear, I venture like a God! No malware, No adware, No viruses & with the appropriate extensions, No (or very little) ads either. My free spotify behaves like premium with no ads interruption. & neither do I suffer from similar YT or other free streaming sites.

No bloatware means my CB is exactly as it was from day 1. No slow downs whatsoever - infact, reports are that ChromeOS speeds up with updates but honestly, I can't notice much but whatever.

If the worst happens & chromeOS is corrupted, my "nuclear option" is a powerwash & a sign-in = a 10-15mins endeavor. & if I save my files to cloud, nothing is lost.

& unlike tablets, I have a real fullsized keyboard. & like real computers, I can multitask eg. 20+ tabs spread across 4 virtual desktops with 2 videos concurrently steaming ..... and casting one of them to my TV simultaneously. Try that on a tablet Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes.

My battered cracked (have to regularly push in the display + duct taped in left bottom corner) 2+yr old Asus C302ca still provides me with 7hrs sot & my 3 week old HP x360 14 gives me 12 hrs (or so) of sot. Eat ya heart out Win lappies Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.

I'm sure u get the msg & can do ya own homework. If a CB seems to be in play, then my personal tips are to ensure (or atleast try) to own a device with atleast a core M3/i3 cpu, 8gb ram, 64gb storage & a FHD display. O & a 2in1 convertible is also a very nice option.

ps: Linux is already built-in to the latest ChromeOS on some machines although its still a drag on install/uninstall syntax but it's there for the pros. O & google assistant is now built-in as well just as on a pixel phone.
Feb 4, 2014
60 posts
42 upvotes
Montréal
For a similar price point, you’re much better off with a laptop in my opinion. I bought a Chromebook and I honestly regret it. I didn’t realize the limited functionality before buying. Many android apps do not work on a Chromebook making it rather useless...
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1966 posts
836 upvotes
Antarctica
Do all Chromebooks allow Linux installation on them?

That is the only reason I would be interested in one. Makes for a very cheap and light Linux machine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9770 posts
4948 upvotes
Markham
scotsum wrote: I've posted a bit on CBs & am a fanboy so thought I'd let it out there 1st.

As to the topic, a CB is a laptop& is def a computer so topic point is moot. Whether one should get on the CB train or not can only be answered with personal needs & wants. Answer this few questions....

1. Is there a specific Win/Mac app that is a requisite?
2. Does one need a general all-in-one machine?

If the answer to the above is yes, then IMHO, no a CB isn't your thing (much like a tablet as an only device isn't). However if one already has (or have easy access to) a Win/Mac, then a CB is a great addition to the family. I use my CB primarily for content/media consumption, emails, word pro with a smattering of android games & apps.

In this role (again IMO), my CB can't be beat. I can surf any sites (dodgy, extremely dodgy & definitely dodgy or otherwise) with no fear. Where Angels fear, I venture like a God! No malware, No adware, No viruses & with the appropriate extensions, No (or very little) ads either. My free spotify behaves like premium with no ads interruption. & neither do I suffer from similar YT or other free streaming sites.

No bloatware means my CB is exactly as it was from day 1. No slow downs whatsoever - infact, reports are that ChromeOS speeds up with updates but honestly, I can't notice much but whatever.

If the worst happens & chromeOS is corrupted, my "nuclear option" is a powerwash & a sign-in = a 10-15mins endeavor. & if I save my files to cloud, nothing is lost.

& unlike tablets, I have a real fullsized keyboard. & like real computers, I can multitask eg. 20+ tabs spread across 4 virtual desktops with 2 videos concurrently steaming ..... and casting one of them to my TV simultaneously. Try that on a tablet Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes.

My battered cracked (have to regularly push in the display + duct taped in left bottom corner) 2+yr old Asus C302ca still provides me with 7hrs sot & my 3 week old HP x360 14 gives me 12 hrs (or so) of sot. Eat ya heart out Win lappies Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.

I'm sure u get the msg & can do ya own homework. If a CB seems to be in play, then my personal tips are to ensure (or atleast try) to own a device with atleast a core M3/i3 cpu, 8gb ram, 64gb storage & a FHD display. O & a 2in1 convertible is also a very nice option.

ps: Linux is already built-in to the latest ChromeOS on some machines although its still a drag on install/uninstall syntax but it's there for the pros. O & google assistant is now built-in as well just as on a pixel phone.
OP's question is NOT laptop vs CB in general. Its why you still want to buy a CB if both laptop and CB are at 500 dollars range
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6225 posts
2286 upvotes
While I was first sceptical of Chromebooks, I went on Kijiji & bought a cheap used one, I think it was $170. I figured, even if I didn't like it, I would be able to sell it for almost the same as what I paid. I ended up loving Chromebooks, they boot up immediately, require no maintenance & are virus free. Even cheap Chromebooks I found to have better browsing performance (eg less laggy) than cheap laptops.

I bought Chromebooks for older family members too, so I never have to deal with them calling me, saying there's some virus or their computer seems much slower than usual, etc. I became such a fan that I've even bought some of the higher end Chromebooks over the last 2 yrs.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3294 posts
1832 upvotes
Calgary
smartie wrote: OP's question is NOT laptop vs CB in general. Its why you still want to buy a CB if both laptop and CB are at 500 dollars range
hmmm I believe OP's headline in this thread says "laptop v chromebooks" but regardless, even if we take your query of why anyone would still buy a CB v win in with a similar price, to a degree I do believe I've answer it quite succinctly. I could list more but that can be construed as long winded so I'll let those with a need to know do their own homework.

as to OP's lesser inquiry of why CBs are so expensive, I didn't answer cos I'd don't have 1st hand knowledge as I don't work for any of the mfgrs nor do I know anyone privy to such knowledge. my best guesses are...

1. CBs are a small niche in the whole scheme of pc's so it must be priced higher to make a decent margin as afterall, mfgrs aren't in the altruistic business.
2. or maybe its cos there's (far as I know) no clone chromebooks nor can one even install chromeOS on an non google certified machine.
3. or perhaps its the same answer of "why do dogs lick their b@#ls", mfgrs price it that way cos they can.

as to why CBs specs are much lesser than win machines, I can only guess its cos chromeOS's hardware requirements are much lesser. for sure the bean counters will always ensure that builds are always to the lowest common denominator.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
scotsum wrote: In this role (again IMO), my CB can't be beat. I can surf any sites (dodgy, extremely dodgy & definitely dodgy or otherwise) with no fear. Where Angels fear, I venture like a God! No malware, No adware, No viruses & with the appropriate extensions, No (or very little) ads either.
I actually turned one into a dedicated "buying" machine for ebates.
No adblocker on the browser and on a separate network without my pi hole so I don't get blocked for referral links.
Same concept: Try to infect me all you want. There's very little to infect.
I certainly wouldn't try this with a Windows machine. I was actually going to for a while and just automate reimaging the thing or something but figured I had a leftover chromebook so why not.
Crichtonfan wrote: Do all Chromebooks allow Linux installation on them?
I don't believe so. Modern ones I think are fine, but older ones no.
Jun 10, 2006
433 posts
99 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote: Do all Chromebooks allow Linux installation on them?

That is the only reason I would be interested in one. Makes for a very cheap and light Linux machine.
Referring to dual-booting Linux: Probably not all, and for those that do there are differing levels of install difficulty and feature compatibility. In my case I have purchased many used Chromebooks and Chromeboxes, and they are run Linux just fine -- though some gave me a tougher time than others to do so. As well, the other day I almost purchased one of the newer Chromeboxes -- only to find out that there was currently a bug that prevented booting alternate operating systems (even with MrChromebox firmware).

Referring to running Crouton Linux in parallel with ChromeOS: Not sure, but my guess would be that any can do so (?).

Referring to running Crostini Linux within ChromeOS: Only some of the newest models can do that.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14777 posts
4220 upvotes
Scarberia
now if only theyd make a damn 17inch chromebook FHD for cheap! one that installs googleplaystore and apks!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>