Computers & Electronics

Laptops - Matte vs Glossy Screen - Poll

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2007 10:51 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Matte Vs Glossy (eg. Truelife) for Laptop

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Laptops - Matte vs Glossy Screen - Poll

in light of all the different opinions being voiced on the choice of screen options (Matte vs Truelife), just thought it might be useful to gauge what people thought in a poll..

if you can explain your decision, that would be even more helpful!
Winner of an XBox 360... Wednesday October 26th

On December 24th 2005, Trolldealhunter wrote "i dont want to see this year going to waste, last year the Tsunami made me miss the deals" ... talk about perspective when it comes to Boxing Day deals...
43 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14715 posts
3191 upvotes
Toronto
I always prefer matte screens with good viewing angles. If you do lots of word processing, spreadsheets, etc., you do not want high reflection levels as it causes eye fatigue.

Glossy screens do offer more vibrant colours, but only under correct lighting and proper viewing angles.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14441 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
I have an HP with a glossy screen.
Its a pain.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2007
1258 posts
110 upvotes
Oakville
I have a lg matte flat panel, and a dell inspiron with truelife . . . I think the matte is good, for long periods of use, because its easier on the eyes, but the glossy screens, are great for watching movies, because it adds color depth (only if your not under light and get a stupid reflection. Glossy screens are good if you want to turn a laptop into a portable dvd player :D ! But matte is better for word processing or when you have to stare at the same image for a long time :|
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9249 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Matte forever! Shows scratches/marks much less. Doesn't expose dust as easily. Close to no reflections!
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12886 posts
1232 upvotes
colours look more rich in a glossy but when you turn your brightness down on your screen, you cant see anything cause of the reflection.

matte for me.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
3501 posts
64 upvotes
Bowmanville
I'm about to order a laptop, definitely going with matte...hate the glossy screens.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
There's no easy answer, as both matte and gloss screens have their place.

I'm typing on a matte screen right now, and I'd prefer to be on a gloss screen under these conditions. Under some others, matte works best, and it also depends on the quality of the screen - I'd take a superior gloss LCD than a generic matte, and vice versa.

Overall, semi-gloss is the way to go, and Dell offers that on some of their ultra high-end models, like the Latitude ATG.
Jul 16, 2006
401 posts
Toronto
glossy is like having a mirror in front
Dec 31, 1969
Matte all the way. The glossy screen shows every speck of dust there is!
Sep 22, 2006
544 posts
12 upvotes
Vinman wrote: There's no easy answer, as both matte and gloss screens have their place.

I'm typing on a matte screen right now, and I'd prefer to be on a gloss screen under these conditions. Under some others, matte works best, and it also depends on the quality of the screen - I'd take a superior gloss LCD than a generic matte, and vice versa.

Overall, semi-gloss is the way to go, and Dell offers that on some of their ultra high-end models, like the Latitude ATG.
Well put, Vinman. Agreed on all points.

For the poll, I chose matte. I am not a gamer, don't mind movies on matte and spend the vast majority of my time on a computer reading the screen, not watching it.
Jan 9, 2007
401 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
I've used both and vote for matte. I'm currently using a glossy screen and under current lighting conditions it really doesn't matter, but for people on the go definitely matte.
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
Matte is better for work purpose, I think.

I've worked with both, including super glossy, and it can be very bothersome.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11791 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
Matte is much more practical. Glossy might give you slightly richer colors, but that doesn't really matter when you're always staring at a reflection of your own face.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2004
1297 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto, ON
An interesting read for a twist on this topic...
Macworld editor wrote some initial comments on the new iMac release which now includes a glossy screen. It's just a paragraph or two of his gripes but some good points:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors ... /index.php

oh, and I chose matte.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)