None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Large CPU fan, bad for mobo?

So I've been doing some research into upgrading my ancient PC, and have been seeing these massive heatsink and fan for the processor.

If the case is vertical, wouldn't the fan be parallel to the floor? How does this impact the motherboard support? Won't it break/stress at the processor? Is there a support near the opposite side of the case?

Would I need to find a fan that's rated (in terms of weight) for the motherboard? Or are all fans "equal" in this case?

TIA
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22208 posts
2873 upvotes
coolers have a back plate you need to install, it alleviate the strain.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12628 posts
4238 upvotes
Ontario
It should be fine if properly mounted as others have said. However unless you are overclocking you dont need any of this. Get a good quality case with lots of airflow and the stock cooler will be fine. For example I'm still using an old Antec 900 case. It has a bunch of big case fans so with everything set on low it makes little to no noise and it cools VERY well and I'm using the stock cpu cooler with an i7 and have no issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sickcars wrote: It should be fine if properly mounted as others have said. However unless you are overclocking you dont need any of this. Get a good quality case with lots of airflow and the stock cooler will be fine. For example I'm still using an old Antec 900 case. It has a bunch of big case fans so with everything set on low it makes little to no noise and it cools VERY well and I'm using the stock cpu cooler with an i7 and have no issues.
I'm looking into the i7-5820k. This doesn't come with a stock cooler. I could get with a smaller fan, but a lot of builds I see with that chip on PCPartsPicker used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - which is enormous! (I wasn't interested in going liquid cooled). I also don't plan on overclocking.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6001 posts
1135 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote: I'm looking into the i7-5820k. This doesn't come with a stock cooler. I could get with a smaller fan, but a lot of builds I see with that chip on PCPartsPicker used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - which is enormous! (I wasn't interested in going liquid cooled). I also don't plan on overclocking.
What makes OP so turned off about liquid cooling? I installed a Corsair H55, a pre-filled/sealed CPU cooling solution. It was really quiet and keep my i5 running nice and cool
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31631 posts
12930 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote: I'm looking into the i7-5820k. This doesn't come with a stock cooler. I could get with a smaller fan, but a lot of builds I see with that chip on PCPartsPicker used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - which is enormous! (I wasn't interested in going liquid cooled). I also don't plan on overclocking.
On a board that takes that CPU (X99) you shouldn't have any problems. On mainstream boards (LGA1150 and 1151) these are often made much more cheaply and have only like 4 layers--there the use of a monster cooler might be risky esp. in cases with vertically mounted boards (which is most cases). I've seen articles with monster coolers where they refused to mount such a cooler on a mainstream board for this reason.

But again if you're going for something X99, most of those boards are fairly robust and you shouldn't have an issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tomtomtom wrote: What makes OP so turned off about liquid cooling? I installed a Corsair H55, a pre-filled/sealed CPU cooling solution. It was really quiet and keep my i5 running nice and cool
Even though it's sealed, there's still a chance it could leak. I didn't want to deal with that hassle at all
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: On a board that takes that CPU (X99) you shouldn't have any problems. On mainstream boards (LGA1150 and 1151) these are often made much more cheaply and have only like 4 layers--there the use of a monster cooler might be risky esp. in cases with vertically mounted boards (which is most cases). I've seen articles with monster coolers where they refused to mount such a cooler on a mainstream board for this reason.

But again if you're going for something X99, most of those boards are fairly robust and you shouldn't have an issue.
Yes, I was thinking of pairing the i7 5820 with the x99a.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1645 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto
I'm running a i7-5820k with a Noctua NH-D15, which according to the website weighs about just as much (despite looking bigger). Have no issues with the weight or size (other than low space clearance with the ram and the video card). Some websites recommended that you don't wobble your case too much if you're transporting your case around and maybe try to transport it lying down (don't know how big a deal that is).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5318 posts
955 upvotes
A hyper 212 is not even remotely close to being huge for aftermarket cooling. It is probably the best bang for the buck though. Some noctuas are like 2-3x the size.

I have a hyper 212 on an old Pentium D board and it works fine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6138 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
enwhyRFD wrote: Even though it's sealed, there's still a chance it could leak. I didn't want to deal with that hassle at all
There's a chance involved for anything. Very very remote with an all in one unit.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13980 upvotes
tomtomtom wrote: What makes OP so turned off about liquid cooling? I installed a Corsair H55, a pre-filled/sealed CPU cooling solution. It was really quiet and keep my i5 running nice and cool
Most self contained liquid coolers aren't any better than good air coolers.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6138 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
death_hawk wrote: Most self contained liquid coolers aren't any better than good air coolers.
Perhaps, there are people on both sides of the camp. That said op's concern seems foot print and strain on his motherboard which a liquid cooler will solve.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31631 posts
12930 upvotes
GeneralZod wrote: LGA1150 and LGA1151 have their "premium motherboards" and the minimum any motherboard uses typically for the PCB layers is 6. The "premium" motherboards such as the ones from ASUS either the TUF or the ROG series would likely have 8 or even 10 PCB layers even though it is not a "premium" and overpriced platform like LGA2011.
Yeah sure while that may be true for boards like Maximus and Sabertooth, I was talking about mainstream boards, with many Z97 and Z170 boards included. There isn't that much of a functional need for that many layers these days so 4-6 layers is par for the course from what I hear and have seen about modern boards.

Bottom line is if you're not spending $250+ on a motherboard you're probably not getting something with the kind of build quality and physical robustness you speak of. And this is, afterall, RFD where people endorse buying el cheapo stuff from the likes of AssRock along with saying stuff like H81 is "fine". This isn't the case in this thread as OP is obviously going for some high-end stuff on X99 but it's useful for people to know that if they're buying $80-200 boards, they're probably not getting anything that's all that strong physically. I would rather say that "most" modern boards aren't all that strong than the other way around; unless of course by "most" you mean that nobody is buying $120 mobos out there, which I can't imagine being the case here on RFD, especially not with the stuff that people recommend whenever people ask about builds.

For example here's one excerpt from a TH review of the Deepcool Assassin II:
Tom's Hardware wrote:Designed to blow past the weak thermal requirements of Skylake, the Assassin II appears ready to hang with the big boys on overclocked Haswell-E Core i7s. Fifty ounces of copper is serious business for serious enthusiasts, and even though it fits smaller sockets, we just can’t bring ourselves to put such a heavy part on any lightweight board.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6848 posts
3367 upvotes
Debtario
I wouldn't worry about the motherboard, they are crazy strong. Try snapping one in half sometime and you'll see for yourself.

They (at least intel ones) are designed for crazy loads around the cpu socket, perhaps google for warped boards. The first time I saw a stock intel heatsink badly warp a board I had a private panic attack, but it ran fine and after some research found it's normal and not that uncommon.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: I wouldn't worry about the motherboard, they are crazy strong. Try snapping one in half sometime and you'll see for yourself.

They (at least intel ones) are designed for crazy loads around the cpu socket, perhaps google for warped boards. The first time I saw a stock intel heatsink badly warp a board I had a private panic attack, but it ran fine and after some research found it's normal and not that uncommon.
The fiberglass is strong, but the traces and vias are not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9243 posts
354 upvotes
I've got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme ontop of my 2500K on a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z. The heat sink is almost 800g and I've been running this setup for 4 years now with no issues to the mobo. The fan I've got strapped to it is fairly heavy too. It's a scythe gentle typhoon which is another 200g.. So I got a kg of crap hanging off the mobo
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31631 posts
12930 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: I've got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme ontop of my 2500K on a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z. The heat sink is almost 800g and I've been running this setup for 4 years now with no issues to the mobo. The fan I've got strapped to it is fairly heavy too. It's a scythe gentle typhoon which is another 200g.. So I got a kg of crap hanging off the mobo
Yes and that's half the weight of today's big air coolers, not to mention the fact that you have a Maximus/ROG board, known for being very well made (and not cheap).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6001 posts
1135 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: I've got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme ontop of my 2500K on a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z. The heat sink is almost 800g and I've been running this setup for 4 years now with no issues to the mobo. The fan I've got strapped to it is fairly heavy too. It's a scythe gentle typhoon which is another 200g.. So I got a kg of crap hanging off the mobo
Do you stand your case sideways or vertical?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)