Home & Garden

Large Japanese Maple close to building or fence -looking for some pictures of similar trees you have seen around

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2021 5:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON

Large Japanese Maple close to building or fence -looking for some pictures of similar trees you have seen around

The most notorius example I know is this one in the Toronto Botanical Gardens
Your text to link here...
Here is a picture from another anlge
https://torontobotanicalgarden.ca/uncat ... ensin2020/

I am interested to know how the tree changes if planted too close of a regular fence (not the max allowed 2 meters one) or close to a building (extreme situation)
Lots of crazy 💡
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8274 posts
2898 upvotes
Maple
2m distance is ok (should be 3-4m). Japanese Maple grows very slow. Mine is 10 years old, height is less than 2m, 4 feet away from the fence. When plant anything, people should give more than enough distance for its growth.
That tree is big.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
That would be OK in my case
I am looking to plant a Bloodgood or an Emperor
I am being told that they grow up to 20' and the same for the diameter of the canopy
The area where I want to plant it would be 27' wide so you can imagine what it would be like
I am also looking at my neighbor's tree and it is pretty much what you are saying
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8274 posts
2898 upvotes
Maple
CuriousC wrote: That would be OK in my case
I am looking to plant a Bloodgood or an Emperor
I am being told that they grow up to 20' and the same for the diameter of the canopy
The area where I want to plant it would be 27' wide so you can imagine what it would be like
I am also looking at my neighbor's tree and it is pretty much what you are saying
Are you planting at front or back? If at front, my advice away from the street at least 15 feet, avoid vibration and street salt, they are very bad for the roots. Mine JM died because I planted 3 feet from street.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
at the back but I am afraid I can't offer him partial shade
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8274 posts
2898 upvotes
Maple
CuriousC wrote: at the back but I am afraid I can't offer him partial shade
At back, you can enjoy looking at it. Good for you.