Automotive

large motorcycle helmet for "oriental head"?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2021 1:02 am
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes

large motorcycle helmet for "oriental head"?

I used to have two motorcycle helmets back in the days when I rode bike in Kuala Lumpur, but did not bring them to Canada. Those helmets fit me very well so I never thought of buying helmet could be an issue in another country.

Last time I checked Cycle World Superstore in Scarborough, all the helmet there does not fit (or not fit well). 90% of helmets there have chin opening too small that can't snug my head in. The few xxxlarge sized helmet can put on, but rattles on my head once put on (top part too big). The store people told me that is because my head shape is "oriental head", which requires different helmet profile. Well, I am Chinese, 6'1 tall, with big head.

Where do you guys buy helmet? Preferably a place I can try on before buying. Of course I'd wait until COVID is over to do so. These days I don't touch anything outside without sanitization.

---
If looks like there are some unintended attention to the word "oriental head". So I looked up dictionary. It appears that it is not an offensive word when referring to rugs or massage. It carries the offensive meaning when used to describe a person.

For my head shape, I don't think it carries the offensive context. But rather an odd choice of word. However Asian is too large a group, I don't think Asian head shape is correct either. At least oriental is accurate about people from China/Japan.

oriental
ADJECTIVE
of, from, or characteristic of East Asia.
"oriental rugs"
synonyms:
eastern · Chinese · Japanese

NOUN
offensive
a person of East Asian descent.
Last edited by billy_z on May 7th, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8958 posts
6017 upvotes
Kootenays
You need to try on helmets from different manufacturers. Go to a few different shops, so you can try on Shoei, Arai, Bell, Schuberth, etc. Some are more designed for round heads, some for oval heads, etc. You won't catch Covid from a helmet, as it's airborne, not fomite transmitted. If you're really worried, go at opening and you can be sure you're the first person to try helmets on that day. Some helmets also can be adjusted by adding or changing layers of the lining.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes
smacd wrote: You need to try on helmets from different manufacturers. Go to a few different shops, so you can try on Shoei, Arai, Bell, Schuberth, etc. ...
Any idea which shop in GTA carries good amount of Shoei or Arai product? My old helmets were Yamaha, so I think a Japanese brand might work better.
smacd wrote: You won't catch Covid from a helmet, as it's airborne, not fomite transmitted. If you're really worried, go at opening and you can be sure you're the first person to try helmets on that day.
A doctor friend from UofT told me that many people catches COVID from gas station. People with light COVID symptoms sneeze/cough contaminated their hand, then touches the gas gun. An unsuspected person touches the same gas gun and later rub their face/eye/nose.

The hospital gave doctors orders that no one is talking about this kind of things outside, because lack of "clinical proof". I choose to believe it, better be safe than sorry.
Last edited by billy_z on May 2nd, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1716 posts
2221 upvotes
GTA
Not sure what brands you tried on but Royal Distributing has a great selection of all levels of helmets.

Different brands are shaped differently; you need to go try them on for yourself and get the right one.

People often get the cheaper models to save on cost and find out the hard way...
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote: Not sure what brands you tried on but Royal Distributing has a great selection of all levels of helmets.
Thanks! Will check it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6800 posts
3086 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
smacd wrote: You won't catch Covid from a helmet, as it's airborne, not fomite transmitted. I
It's cooties you want to worry about.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7089 posts
4003 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah have to try them out, but I found HJC helmets pretty accommodating compared to some of the other brands I've owned.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11964 posts
1769 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I, too, have an "oriental head". I ended up buying a Zoan XXXL modular helmet from Cycleworld. It was the only one in the store that fit me. Not sure if they still carry this helmet, as that was back in 2017.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1839 posts
1801 upvotes
Toronto
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2156 posts
1428 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
The way it works during covid at stores like gp bikes and royal distributing is they let you try on helmets and then they wipe them immediately after. So in theory you shouldn't catch covid.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14988 posts
9391 upvotes
Toronto
BeapChastard wrote: The way it works during covid at stores like gp bikes and royal distributing is they let you try on helmets and then they wipe them immediately after. So in theory you shouldn't catch covid.
Are they replacing the interior foam in that helmet? Wiping foam doesn't do shit.

I would NEVER try on a helmet if I had any fear of covid.

Side note, hjc would be more forgiving than a shoei.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2943 posts
1188 upvotes
Definitely check out GP Bikes and Royal Distributing (may as well go to both while you're out there).

And I also wouldn't even touch a Shoei helmet if you have a rounder or oddly shaped head. Their sizes run tighter and generally speaking for more oval heads.
Jun 29, 2010
126 posts
187 upvotes
2021 and people still refer to Asians as "Oriental".
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3777 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
My head is huge and pretty round. I alwasy wear Shoei in XL. Shoei and HJC both fits me pretty well.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3456 posts
3094 upvotes
Toronto
SonyCanWoes wrote: 2021 and people still refer to themselves as "Oriental".
Fixed it for you.
Jun 29, 2010
126 posts
187 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Fixed it for you.
Probably the odd old colonial Asian (ie HK) but I've never heard of a North Americanized or North American born Asian refer to themselves or others as such. In fact, they're opposed to it and being called it by non Asians. Black people call each other the N word all the time still in 2021. Immature teens aside, I don't see or hear non black people using that word casually to refer to black people unless they intend to be offensive.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes
SonyCanWoes wrote: 2021 and people still refer to Asians as "Oriental".
I take no offence because I don't even know what does it mean. It is the cycle world store people told me about "oriental head", I thought it is something specific in the motor cycle community.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
This is getting OT but what's offensive about the term 'oriental'? I tried to google quickly but couldn't find anything. I'm Asian (Chinese) so I can ask this question haha.

While we're at it, I think 'China+man' is (another?) silly one...what, the ethnicists ran out of actual, offensive terms? Kinda like calling us Canadaman, so stupid.
Last edited by tranquility922 on May 3rd, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Jun 29, 2010
126 posts
187 upvotes
billy_z wrote: I take no offence because I don't even know what does it mean. It is the cycle world store people told me about "oriental head", I thought it is something specific in the motor cycle community.
It's a loaded term from the colonial past comparable to referring to black people as "coloured" or "Negro".
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12052 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
billy_z wrote: Well, I am Chinese, 6'1 tall, with big head.

Where do you guys buy helmet? Preferably a place I can try on before buying. Of course I'd wait until COVID is over to do so. These days I don't touch anything outside without sanitization.
About the same size as you, Chinese and I'm consider proportional head and body scale, lol

I hear L, your helmet is not suppose to be loose. The helmet is not suppose to move around once you put it on.

Check out this shop to check out in person after convid
https://cycleworldsuperstore.com/
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015