• Feb 28th, 2022 9:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2773 posts
1922 upvotes

Large print services, who to go with?

Im planning on 2 x 24x35in prints, whose service have you tried and how did it turn out?

I prefer anything local i.e. Staples, Walmart, etc.

If someone has also a suggestion for a frame. So far IKEA has the most cost effective product but Im not sure if I should look for a glass frame instead. They only have Poly
16 replies
Oct 22, 2020
110 posts
91 upvotes
Are you printing photos or general graphics? It's been some years but I had good photo printing results from PosterJack.ca. A set of 24x36 photo prints came out amazing, but will arrive rolled up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2773 posts
1922 upvotes
kelaaa wrote: Are you printing photos or general graphics? It's been some years but I had good photo printing results from PosterJack.ca. A set of 24x36 photo prints came out amazing, but will arrive rolled up.
Photo

I looked at PJ but the price is astronomical. Ive had an acrylic print by them and was satisfied, but I dont think Ill ever get one again
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15259 posts
20550 upvotes
Vancouver
Biscayne05 wrote: Photo

I looked at PJ but the price is astronomical. Ive had an acrylic print by them and was satisfied, but I dont think Ill ever get one again
I'm seeing $35 for 24x36" at Posterjack. That doesn't seem too bad. London Drugs does beat it at $30 though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2773 posts
1922 upvotes
Ah, thank you. I was clicking on framed instead of the print option only. PJ it is.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1930 posts
1258 upvotes
I did a few 24x36" in Costco cheaply, with great quality, back when they still had in-store printers. I don't know how it works now, with the online-only option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2773 posts
1922 upvotes
Just wanted to give feedback on PJs large print -

It's a poster print and Ive only picked glossy in all of my prints (4). Im satisfied but also now curious about the regular print and that more expensive paper.

Just a caveat the clarity still depends on your picture quality. They re-printed (at their cost) 1 of my posters since they asked for a re submission of my photo and didnt center it the way I wanted them to.

They're cut to fit with the IKEA Ribba frame perfectly
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Feb 9th, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 12, 2007
936 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: I'm seeing $35 for 24x36" at Posterjack. That doesn't seem too bad. London Drugs does beat it at $30 though.
How are London Drugs printing quality?

My wife had bad products with Walmart, and I'm not sure about Staples. We did do photograph prints at London Drugs and were happy, but not sure about large prints. I need something like a poster.
Sep 14, 2010
29 posts
12 upvotes
Whitby
Came here looking for recommendations as well. I just did a print at staples for 20x30 and was bit disappointed because the print came out overexposed. Spent 27$ for it.

Update:
I printed my picture at home with white paper and went back to staples. They reprinted my picture to match exactly what I wanted. They did 3 tries before I was happy with the print. I guess if the picture color doesnt match, you can kindly ask them to adjust it to your liking. Pretty happy with the service.
Last edited by deck05 on Dec 6th, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 12, 2007
936 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver
deck05 wrote: Came here looking for recommendations as well. I just did a print at staples for 20x30 and was bit disappointed because the print came out overexposed. Spent 27$ for it.
I was afraid about that about Staples.

Edit: I wonder about the smaller stores like

https://kerrisdalecameras.com/poster-prints
https://abcfineart.com/
https://www.vancouverphotolab.com/

For my 24x18, most of them are $22-23 like London Drugs.
Nov 24, 2012
177 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I have used Canvas and Decor a few times for 24x36 prints (framed, printed on canvas) and pretty happy with quality and turnaround time (haven't used them since covid started though).
https://www.canvasndecor.ca/
Oct 12, 2007
936 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm going to be trying Vancouver Photo Lab as they seem to be highly reviewed in my local area.

I was checking out a YouTube channel that was pretty thorough with quality of canvas prints of various online shops. It's so sad how bad canvas printing and stretching is for some places. I was about to use CanvasChamp, but then I saw the video and I would never use that cheap service despite being able to buy two canvas prints for like $50-60.

The channel showed me a canvas printing that may be pretty good. Pictorem seem to be a pretty good quality print service that's online with free shipping. They're doing 40% off now, though I dunno if that's just a regular thing.
Sep 11, 2006
881 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Whoaness wrote: I'm going to be trying Vancouver Photo Lab as they seem to be highly reviewed in my local area.

I was checking out a YouTube channel that was pretty thorough with quality of canvas prints of various online shops. It's so sad how bad canvas printing and stretching is for some places. I was about to use CanvasChamp, but then I saw the video and I would never use that cheap service despite being able to buy two canvas prints for like $50-60.

The channel showed me a canvas printing that may be pretty good. Pictorem seem to be a pretty good quality print service that's online with free shipping. They're doing 40% off now, though I dunno if that's just a regular thing.
What YouTube channel is this?
Oct 12, 2007
936 posts
551 upvotes
Vancouver
jhuynh wrote: What YouTube channel is this?
I don't know if I can link it, but the channel name is called PhotographyTalk. He does extensive print reviews, canvas, metal prints.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1004 posts
216 upvotes
Any places to get few 24x36 posters in GTA or Durham region, I have the designed poster soft copy.
Apr 24, 2017
134 posts
48 upvotes
vancouver
Whoaness wrote: I'm going to be trying Vancouver Photo Lab as they seem to be highly reviewed in my local area.

I drive by every time i go to Costco, never had a chance to go in cuz they're usually closed.

Been thinking of printing a new canvas, and want to see their quality compared to the ones I got from Costco.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm not saying that this is the least expensive option (which it isn't) but I had 2 images on JPG on my USB memory stick with me on my lanyard and when I went to Walmart to do my grocery shopping on the weekend, I stopped by the photo area and printed these 2 images on 5"x7" for immediate printout and each of them cost me $3.15 + taxes for a total of $7.25 (in the province of Quebec). I was going to print it on 8.5" x 11" but this option was specified as being unavailable for the time being on the Kodak printer/machine. Even for the convenience factor of it being immediate, I feel that I overpaid and it would have been a lot less expensive for me to print it out on my inkjet printer (if I had photo quality paper).

I didn't check how much it would cost for me to pick it up an hour later which was another option on the touchscreen since I didn't want to come back in an hour plus I didn't want them to look at the pictures (not that the pictures were of a questionable nature). The print out came out on glossy Kodak Moments paper.

In any event, their Kodak machine didn't print out a bill for me to take to the cash register (it gave an error message when trying to print this bill) and the cashier close to the photo station took the 2 printed photos from me and scanned one of the bar codes twice from a paper/sheet that had a lot of different bar codes on it which was behind the counter and then the value showed up on the cash register.

There was a Bureau en Gros (Staples) two stores away and I didn't check their price before doing it at Walmart.