Home & Garden

Large sized people; help me find a good mattress pls ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2020 5:33 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 11, 2020
24 posts
2 upvotes

Large sized people; help me find a good mattress pls ?

hey all, i weight about 270 pounds and wondering if the larger sized people/someone who is married or dating a large person, family, etc. can help me find a good mattress that is not super pricey but is not a cheap $100-$400 one either. i've been looking at amazon but dont know which to buy. also been looking at higher end brands like Kingsdown and stearns and foster.

currently, the mattress i use has 'dips' in it and has a sort of crater in the middle area due to my weight and size. i wake up with pain and strains. i've been hesitant to purchase a new mattress due to the pain it would be to return it if it was too soft and made my body sink into it.

-looking for something that i wont sink into when i sit on it and use a laptop or sleep on. And the 2nd thing: that wont begin to 'dip' as time/years go by.. not sure if i should be going for a regular mattress or foam one

thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3379 posts
618 upvotes
GTA
Not sure where you're located but some of the larger stores like Sleep Country have policies that allow you to return/swap mattresses if you don't find them comfortable. They will arrange collection of the old one while delivering the new one so it's not too much of an issue aside from the fact that you need to go back into the store to find another one you like and potentially pay the difference.

I did this when I bought one of my kids their first "grown up" bed and Sleep Country was great to deal with. Had no issues picking it up and delivering a softer variant of the same mattress.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25045 posts
4242 upvotes
Go to a store that specializes in mattresses and lie on different ones to see what you like. You're going to have to spend money to get a good mattress. It's something you can't cheap out on. Unfortunately as the years go by, the mattress will wear. Higher end mattresses will last longer though, and as long as you rotate it regularly, it will last a long time.

Do not buy online to save money. Go test them out to find what you want.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2601 posts
914 upvotes
Nunavut
The_Professor wrote: Not sure where you're located but some of the larger stores like Sleep Country have policies that allow you to return/swap mattresses if you don't find them comfortable. They will arrange collection of the old one while delivering the new one so it's not too much of an issue aside from the fact that you need to go back into the store to find another one you like and potentially pay the difference.

I did this when I bought one of my kids their first "grown up" bed and Sleep Country was great to deal with. Had no issues picking it up and delivering a softer variant of the same mattress.
Not so nice part about this is they also charge you $50 to do the swap, and then even worse they have you by the balls when trying to negotiate price on a replacement.. no way they will be as eager to give you a deal
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3379 posts
618 upvotes
GTA
Eldorado wrote: Not so nice part about this is they also charge you $50 to do the swap, and then even worse they have you by the balls when trying to negotiate price on a replacement.. no way they will be as eager to give you a deal
You are correct, there was a $50 charge to make the switch but that is a small price to pay to make things right and it is clearly stated as part of the program before you buy.

In regard to discounts on the replacement, we had no issue in negotiating on the replacement so perhaps that's hit and miss?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4531 posts
1067 upvotes
No, just did a quick search for "mattress for heavier people" and came across this one.

Seems reasonable priced and has a great return policy.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1175 posts
1150 upvotes
West GTA
Bookster01 wrote: do u have this one. did u get firm or plush, and whats ur weight?
If you're heavier, then firmer tends to be the way to go as your added weight will make the mattress deform more. A plush might deform too much and not be adequately supportive.

If you're buying a foam mattress, then you want to go on the firmer side and you want to go for a really high density foam (this information is tough to find, but will be the primary determinant of your mattress life). The density (not firmness, density) will be critical for you as your weight will wear the mattress out much more quickly than a person that weighs less. Higher density mattresses cost more than the cheaper ones typical of the bed-in-a-box phenomenon.

If you're located in the GTA, then this store could help you out:

https://www.foamite.com/order-mattress/ ... h-natural/

This place has a ton of mattress options, it's made in Canada (some material options are Canadian, some imported), but importantly you can choose your grade. The one I linked is a 2.6lb high resiliency foam, so it'll last a long time - much longer than a typical online foam mattress. You can also choose firmness - you'll likely need an extra firm mattress due to your weight, but they have an easy calculator that helps with that.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 11, 2020
24 posts
2 upvotes
hi everyone. thanks for the help. i ended up going for a high end kingsdown. the foam mattress' were just to plushy and i'd just sink into them, so i went for a regular mattress with coils. i paid a lot more but i wanted a high end one so it lasts at least 10 years and doesnt start dipping.