Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary

Large TV wanted - 85"

I am in the Market this month for an 85 inch TV

Costco has the Samsung UN85TU8000 for $2797.99 showing "limited time offer"

and the Sony XBR85X800H fo $2798 also "limited time offer"

Over the years I have been huge fan of Sony above all but got quite jaded with my 65" Sony from about 10 years ago (this was a smart TV and they didnt even update the Youtube app when Youtube changed the protocols) and got a 75" Samsung about five years ago that I have been very happy with.

My question - please would any "experts" or "pontificators" chime in with which is "better" (even with the 1 cent price difference). And in terms of a deal is this pricing good or should I expect better (and by how much) come Thanksgiving or Boxing day. Any previous price history? And they both only seem to be available online - has anyone seen them in a warehouse?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
The TU8000 is the replacement of the RU8000 which was a replacement of another and every replacement they manage to make it worse.

I bought my 82" RU8000 on boxing day for $1999. $2500-2999 is the "regular" sale price for this size and model range.

Buy this if all you care about is size > quality. Bigger is certainly better! If you want quality, there's a lot more options that are way better at 75", with Vizio and TCL. If you're prepared to spend $2797 for a 85", get the Vizio 75" for same cost but way better image quality

AVOID this TV if you are primarily watching in a bright room, day time watcher, or where it would be placed is wide. IT's a VA panel so wide angle viewing sucks. Avoid if you want every ounce of HDR detail, it does HDR but there's a visible different up against other TV models and brands, especially if you're spending close to $3000.

The Sony is really similar, difference being it works with wide viewing angles.

BOTH are native 60hz panels....which sucks. The old RU8000 was at least 120hz native panel, but Samsung plays that game of making new model worse than last year with same price tag.

If you're set on spending $3000, tons of better options. I would pass on both, but if you really need to buy, the Sony looks better.

https://www.rtings.com/ is a great site for really unbiased reviews, plus they're Canadian!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the input. Yes size really is my #1 priority. I have a 75" Samsung and had a 75" Vizio (which unfortunately crapped out on me within 6 months which is why I went to the Samsung) I don't need a lot of sports motion or game motion. Just TV viewing in a fairly well lit and natural lit room. Thanks for the link to rtings.com which seems tp put the Sony a shade ahead for my needs and 7.1 vs 7.0 marginal score difference? Is 7.1 a reasonable score at rtngs.com or does it imply dissatisfaction? Since you are down on the Samsung for daytime viewing, would the Sony panel be any better in daytime (I dont know the ins and outs of different panels)?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
Cough wrote: Thanks for the input. Yes size really is my #1 priority. I have a 75" Samsung and had a 75" Vizio (which unfortunately crapped out on me within 6 months which is why I went to the Samsung) I don't need a lot of sports motion or game motion. Just TV viewing in a fairly well lit and natural lit room. Thanks for the link to rtings.com which seems tp put the Sony a shade ahead for my needs and 7.1 vs 7.0 marginal score difference? Is 7.1 a reasonable score at rtngs.com or does it imply dissatisfaction? Since you are down on the Samsung for daytime viewing, would the Sony panel be any better in daytime (I dont know the ins and outs of different panels)?
It comes down to your own needs and what you appreciate more. For me, it was size because my viewing distance is a good 16-18 feet away, I may rearrange sofa later on but for now it's used as a play area (AKA lego minefield).

I'm coming from an old LED TV from 8 years ago so the RU8000 was already a big step up to 4K and HDR. I'm not into hardcore HDR10+ or Dolby HDR as i won't be picking up a UHD blu ray player, will just be streaming all content. Gaming is a nice to have, I just have a Switch and Google Stadia (4K HDR!).

As RTINGS has the comparison:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... /1778/9019

Sony is brighter and scores well on the things that are important. Movie watching performance there's no comparison to higher end TVs with local dimming, HDR peak, or OLED.

IPS: Great viewing angle, great colours, muddy blacks but brighter panel
VA: Better blacks, colour accuracy, bad viewing angle, not as bright but better in dark environments

I like my Samsung, my only complaints is it uses an odd wall mount bolt which took me forever to figure out and find, and smart TV features stink. Requires reboots often and hangs once in a while. I have a Chromecast Ultra which works way better, also for Google Stadia.
Oct 22, 2016
429 posts
139 upvotes
Super bowel is coming up.

Any good TV deal for super bowel?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26201 posts
23245 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
coolmanfever wrote: Super bowel is coming up.

Any good TV deal for super bowel?
Bowel Black Question Mark Ornament Black Question Mark Ornament Black Question Mark Ornament Smiling Face With Open Mouth
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)