Food & Drink

LASAGNE: can anyone point to a delicious, reliable takeout source? Eataly's SO disappointing!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 9:10 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2008
4 posts

LASAGNE: can anyone point to a delicious, reliable takeout source? Eataly's SO disappointing!

Always searching for a really great lasagne to go. Since Vesuvio closed (which was pretty good, juicy and flavourful and meaty-cheesy) I have despaired! But I had read somewhere that Eataly's lasagne was great. As anyone who cooks will appreciate, lasagne is one of those dishes that takes a good deal of trouble to make, not to mention demands an instinctive "Italian grandma" sensibility which most of us do not possess. So I am always looking for a really good takeout lasagne portion or two. (For that matter a good restaurant serving - most in Toronto are abysmal imho). Anyway, encouraged by Eataly's excellent, somewhat unusual Tira Mi Su (very creamy and rich) I purchased three portions for a friends' dinner the other night. We all have quite different tastes - but taking our first fork-full, we all looked up at one another simultaneously and expressed disappointment. Tons of doughy pasta, bland tomato sauce, and barely ANY ragu or ANY cheese - really mingy quantities of each, and each fairly tasteless, overwhelmed by blah pasta and blah sauce. Reminded us of frozen supermarket versions, like the taste of slightly burned processed ketchup! To Eataly's shame, Loblaws' former high-end frozen lasagne (I write former as I haven't seen it for a year or so) was significantly better! And as I wrote, Vesuvio's is no more RIP.... Anyway, why bother with the hassle of parklng and the relatively high prices - this is the end of my imagined romance with Eataly. Would love to know if ANYONE knows of a decent lasagne easily available. Terroni's Sunday special - discontinued in their current limited menu - is good; but when you buy it frozen from their commissary, Sud Forno, not so wonderful.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7577 posts
3669 upvotes
I have found lasagne from well-run Greek restaurants to be amazing. It is probably fattening but very, very good.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2963 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: I have found lasagne from well-run Greek restaurants to be amazing. It is probably fattening but very, very good.
I wonder if it's because they make it with bechamel sauce. Many lasagna recipes call for bechamel, but I don't think any italian places (and certainly not ready-made fresh/frozen manufacturers) go to that level of effort. And since Moussaka has bechamel as a primary ingredient, it might be convienent for a greek restaurant to include it in their lasagna.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1393 posts
498 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Bologna Pastificio at Dufferin and Lawrence. Its a take-out only place where you have to heat everything at home, she just has everything in fridges. The prices are very, very, high and I think you might have to pre-order the lasagne, but the quality is definitely there. And yes, it is made with bechamel sauce. I personally prefer her other pasta options - tortellini, gnocchi, etc, but the lasagne is very popular. The place is very clean with an open kitchen so you can see everything. There is no website and remember its cash/cheque only, no credit cards.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/bolognapastificio/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6391 posts
3398 upvotes
Aurora
trane0 wrote: I wonder if it's because they make it with bechamel sauce. Many lasagna recipes call for bechamel, but I don't think any italian places (and certainly not ready-made fresh/frozen manufacturers) go to that level of effort. And since Moussaka has bechamel as a primary ingredient, it might be convienent for a greek restaurant to include it in their lasagna.
I thought that the Greeks have their own name for layered pasta made with Béchamel sauce - Pastitsio. Admittedly, I've never heard of lasagna made with Béchamel referred to as lasagna.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11107 posts
6105 upvotes
Markham
Should send them an email with your receipt to show your displeasure with the product.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
trane0 wrote: but I don't think any italian places (and certainly not ready-made fresh/frozen manufacturers) go to that level of effort.
Bechamel requires effort?
And I'd be kind of shocked if an Italian place didn't also have it on hand.
Jul 20, 2012
680 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Palma Pasta HWY 10 east of The Queensway, they have a couple other locations.
I've had San Remo's lasagna and Queen's Pasta, I found Palma's better.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6391 posts
3398 upvotes
Aurora
death_hawk wrote: Bechamel requires effort?
To be fair, I do find hand whisking Bechamel requires a bit of elbow grease. Or maybe I'm weak.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9378 posts
3643 upvotes
Toronto
Add ricotta cheese sauce layers. Much easier than making a bechamel.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2963 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Bechamel requires effort?
I'm not familiar enough with italian cooking to know what other dishes would use it other than lasagna. However, it might make sense to avoid its use given that 99% of people probably don't expect it as an ingredient in lasgna and the added prep-time to it creates. Assuming it's not coming in a plastic bag from a restaurant supply company.