• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2015 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 31, 2015
9 posts
Winnipeg

Which laser printer?

Not a heavy printing user so not sure which to get. I guess what I'm looking for is best value and has a cheaper toner replacement. Only needs is laser and to a lesser extent has a scanner but not absolutely necessary.

I was currently thinking of getting http://www.amazon.ca/Brother-HLL2360DW- ... words=2360

Thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2313 posts
129 upvotes
I look at HP and Samsung for laser printers but Brother is supposed to be good too. I would read reviews on Amazon and Newegg (of course, sensible-sounding ones). I'm not up to speed on recent ones but also consider toner prices. Make sure you find a good source for buying 'replacement' toner.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20340 posts
6516 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to save money on toner, then monochrome is the only option of course.

What OSes are you using it with? What computers and devices do you have in your home? If you have any iOS devices for example, AirPrint support is helpful. I see from your first link, that option includes both a monochrome model plus AirPrint support. However, it should be noted that adding a scanner/copier isn't that much more expensive, perhaps $20-$50. Much more convenient than buying a separate scanner, and much more convenient too, esp. with the copy function. That second link you list seems reasonable for a low usage 3-in-one.

Compatible and remanufactured toner is hit and miss. It may work perfectly but it may cause endless problems.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
I like my Brother DCP7065DN, bought it on sale at amazon for $79.64. I love how it plugs into my router. The starter toner is almost out, gotta pick up one at 123inkcartridges.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20340 posts
6516 upvotes
Toronto
KevC wrote: I like my Brother DCP7065DN, bought it on sale at amazon for $79.64. I love how it plugs into my router.
What do you mean by that? Do you just mean Ethernet? If so, that's most printers these days. In fact, I wouldn't buy any printer in 2015 that didn't have Ethernet and/or WiFi support.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
1739 posts
549 upvotes
I don't know much about printer but I did some reading on printer and refills. I found out that most of printer companies requires Chip to be reset. Only Brother doesn't need Chip. The two model that I found that doesn't need Chip is Brother HL-3150CDW 148U.K and Brother HL-L2300D 68U.K. I was on UK website.

Usually the Toner cartridge is TN630 (low capacity). Some of them you can put in High yielding capacity TN660 cartridge
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20340 posts
6516 upvotes
Toronto
The OEM ink on that Brother HL-L2380DW 3-in-1 is $59 for 2600 pages. However, the drum unit is $94 for 12000 pages.
After 12000-13000 pages you would have spent $272 or $295 on toner, and then you'd have to buy a new $94 drum too.

For comparison's sake, for the Samsung SL-M3840 4-in-1 machine (which I bought on sale for $200 on sale last week), the OEM drum + toner combined are $200 for 10000 pages, or else $150 for 5000 pages.

So, if you have low usage, you might be able to go for many years on the original drum for that Brother.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
I have 3 Brother printers, 2x HL227DW + HL3170CDW. I am quit convinced that the consumer level brother lazers have the worst quality output of any major brand, however it is still good enough for text and very simple graphics. Outside of print quality, Brother printers are 10/10 for everything else you can think of; never jams, great paper pickup, always works, cheap non-oem refills/toner/drums.

If you are planning on printing alot of labels, my experience with Brother is lackluster, but it may just be my specific printer models that this problem.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20340 posts
6516 upvotes
Toronto
I checked out a Brother LED a while back and the print quality was indeed worse in comparison to most lasers, and that impression was confirmed by independent reviews, but then again it was usable. However, the consumer Brother lasers seem OK according to the reviews though.

I just bought a business oriented Samsung, so much higher end than the consumer lasers, and the printing is fine, but quite honestly I don't think the print quality is that much different than consumer units I've bought in the past. It has more memory, is much faster, has cheaper toner, and has a whole bunch of features you never see on consumer units, but the print quality isn't better.

I suspect if you want to get a printer for print quality, you have to look to specific models, and not just general classes of printers. Spending more may get you more features and speed, but not necessarily better quality.

However, to turn that around, one could say that even cheap lasers have good enough output for most users, unless you need good photo representation or if you're distributing the stuff to ad clients or something like that.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 31, 2015
9 posts
Winnipeg
My use case is printing notes for university. They are mostly text with some simple graphics here and there. I probably print not more than 500 pages a month.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20340 posts
6516 upvotes
Toronto
jacian wrote: My use case is printing notes for university. They are mostly text with some simple graphics here and there. I probably print not more than 500 pages a month.
So, any laser will do in terms of quality, but toner cost might matter a bit, since you're printing 5000-6000 pages a year. That means for a unit with small toner cartridges, you might be buying two to four toner cartridges a year, at 1500-2600 pages per cartridge. The bigger printers generally take bigger cartridges, which are often a bit cheaper on a per-page basis. For example, my business oriented printer's minimum cartridge size is rated for 3000 pages, but the usual sizes are 5000 or 10000, with 10000 being the cheapest on a per-page basis (at 2¢ per page).

But then again, it may be worth it to get something smaller. If you're in university, and move around quite a bit, or have limited space, you may not want a big honkin' business printer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: I checked out a Brother LED a while back and the print quality was indeed worse in comparison to most lasers, and that impression was confirmed by independent reviews, but then again it was usable. However, the consumer Brother lasers seem OK according to the reviews though.

I just bought a business oriented Samsung, so much higher end than the consumer lasers, and the printing is fine, but quite honestly I don't think the print quality is that much different than consumer units I've bought in the past. It has more memory, is much faster, has cheaper toner, and has a whole bunch of features you never see on consumer units, but the print quality isn't better.

I suspect if you want to get a printer for print quality, you have to look to specific models, and not just general classes of printers. Spending more may get you more features and speed, but not necessarily better quality.

However, to turn that around, one could say that even cheap lasers have good enough output for most users, unless you need good photo representation or if you're distributing the stuff to ad clients or something like that.
I have a really old Samsung ML2010, it is a very low end laser printer but the output quality on that unit is superb, everything is razor sharp. Unfortunately the paper pickup on that printer is absolute garbage and it jams on almost every print.

If you ever read reviews on Brother printers, entry level consumer/small business units, Brother is always graded below par in terms of output quality. I did once read a review on a $400-$500 brother printer that claimed the output quality was above par, but that printer never goes on sale.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 31, 2015
9 posts
Winnipeg
Would it cause much trouble if I use remanufactured toner from some place like 123inkcartridges with a laser printer?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16220 posts
4646 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest an HP product as they are more compatible with current and future operating systems. I am still using a LaserJet 2100 that I bought in 1999 and can use it with the latest OS of Windows without issues. Most printers and all in ones may not have driver support for the latest OS and you may be forced to upgrade.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 28, 2011
862 posts
372 upvotes
Markham
Go for the Brother. Solid printers

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)