Computers & Electronics

Laser printer with self refill toner, and scan thru wifi capabilities?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 12:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1653 posts
1329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Laser printer with self refill toner, and scan thru wifi capabilities?

Hi all, my mom wants to convert from her ripoff HP inkjet printer to a printer with scan over wifi capabilities as well as toner that is self refillable (preferably colour too if possible).

What's the cheapest one possible that isn't crap? Also please don't read this sentence as "cheapest possible" I'm willing to pay quite a bit if its worth it.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2628 posts
1364 upvotes
London
i dont think anyone bothers to refill toner. most people just hit amazon or ebay and look for an aftermarket toner cartage just look up the replacement cartarge for the model your interest in ahead of time some models that a lot of people buy will have cheaper ones since there more mass produced vs ones that less people buy.

any printer that has wifi and the scaner build in will scan wirelessly.

look at brother they make some quality units and if u register the printer they will extend the warranty for 6 months for free.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7112 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
I have a brother HL 3170CDW, it does not have scanning. A complete set of 4 color (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) non-oem toner carts is ~$36 on Amazon. Refills are about half the price, I used to just buy toner and refill but now I just buy non-oem carts and save the mess.

The print quality of Brother printers are below average but it is good enough for text and some light graphics, for high-quality output I use my lexmark color laser but I pay about $70-$100 per color cartridge as lexmark chips their carts and sues aftermarket toner sellers so there are no/little non-oem toner/cart options.

Before you purchase a printer, look on ebay and amazon to see if cheap toner refills or non-oem carts are available.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4136 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with the statements made above. Brother printers are a good option. Refilling at home is a pain and best avoided by buying aftermarket compatible cartridges. Colour is a more expensive proposition but I'm pretty sure Brother has options there too (note that colour laser printers tend to be much larger because of the four imaging subunits in them).

Look at some of the big-box retailers, look at models that have the features you want, then check one of the toner resellers like 123ink.ca and see what's available in aftermarket toner.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3632 posts
845 upvotes
Can these printers with cheap toner still be purchased? I checked multiple places for the HL 3170CDW. But can't find anything.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7112 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the HL3170CDW about 5 years ago, I do not know the current market.

I suggest you go to the brother website and find models you like and do a search on ebay for toner for those models.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.