Health & Wellness

Laser treatment to quit smoking? Has anyone heard of this?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2019 2:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto

Laser treatment to quit smoking? Has anyone heard of this?

Going to start this off with the cost, it's $349+tax and is covered by part ($100) of my benefits from work...

So I had a coworker who I used to have a smoke with all the time a long time ago quit smoking and when I asked what he did he told me about a laser treatment at a place in Whitby that he went to. Explained what it was and that he never got cravings or anything and it's been 2 years since his last one.

4 months ago a supervisor also did the same treatment at the same place and he also hasn't smoked since.

So I called the place and this person explained that the lasers they aim wherever on you make your body release endorphins so much so that for the 6 weeks worth of endorphins released you will not feel the need or an urge to smoke...

There are several problems I see with all of this...

1) how does your body not start telling you you want a smoke when the nicotine and everything else starts coming out...

2) alot of the addiction is the motion of hand to mouth. Personal trigger for me is consuming alcohol as well as stress.

3) if this is as good as it is (and google searching does suggest it is), why the hell are there not a lot more people praising this method?

4) I find it very hard to believe that a couple lasers on my body for an hour can and/or will stop the triggers associated with making anyone want to have a cigarette.

All of that said, have any of you here even heard of this procedure? Do you know anyone that has done it? What was the outcome and did it work for you/them?

I want to quit smoking, I love having a smoke when I have a drink with a friend, but I hate it at the same time for the health implications. I've 90% switched to vaping and given all of the stuff in the news now I just want to be done with this entirely but for me it's extremely difficult. I've seen people quit entirely with what seemed like no problem but it just doesn't work that way for me.
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
Damn I'm guessing this means no one else has heard of this? Or it's possibly in the wrong forum?
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2968 upvotes
keenland
XtremeModder wrote: Going to start this off with the cost, it's $349+tax and is covered by part ($100) of my benefits from work...

So I had a coworker who I used to have a smoke with all the time a long time ago quit smoking and when I asked what he did he told me about a laser treatment at a place in Whitby that he went to. Explained what it was and that he never got cravings or anything and it's been 2 years since his last one.

4 months ago a supervisor also did the same treatment at the same place and he also hasn't smoked since.

So I called the place and this person explained that the lasers they aim wherever on you make your body release endorphins so much so that for the 6 weeks worth of endorphins released you will not feel the need or an urge to smoke...

There are several problems I see with all of this...

1) how does your body not start telling you you want a smoke when the nicotine and everything else starts coming out...

2) alot of the addiction is the motion of hand to mouth. Personal trigger for me is consuming alcohol as well as stress.

3) if this is as good as it is (and google searching does suggest it is), why the hell are there not a lot more people praising this method?

4) I find it very hard to believe that a couple lasers on my body for an hour can and/or will stop the triggers associated with making anyone want to have a cigarette.

All of that said, have any of you here even heard of this procedure? Do you know anyone that has done it? What was the outcome and did it work for you/them?

I want to quit smoking, I love having a smoke when I have a drink with a friend, but I hate it at the same time for the health implications. I've 90% switched to vaping and given all of the stuff in the news now I just want to be done with this entirely but for me it's extremely difficult. I've seen people quit entirely with what seemed like no problem but it just doesn't work that way for me.
love hate relationship....me too
the ONLY way to quit is to quit...gimmicks are excuses...why is it that you can stop when you are too sick (to inhale) for a few days?...you have to mentally decide and then take it from there...I am a smoker..but gimmicks arent really the solutions..mind set is.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: love hate relationship....me too
the ONLY way to quit is to quit...gimmicks are excuses...why is it that you can stop when you are too sick (to inhale) for a few days?...you have to mentally decide and then take it from there...I am a smoker..but gimmicks arent really the solutions..mind set is.
Yea that's what I figured but there's nothing wrong with wanting some help along the way.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
494 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: So I called the place and this person explained that the lasers they aim wherever on you make your body release endorphins so much so that for the 6 weeks worth of endorphins released you will not feel the need or an urge to smoke...
I’ve never heard of this procedure, but I think you’re right to be sceptical. I’m pretty sure endorphins don’t work that way.

Once the thing that’s stimulating the release of endorphins stops so does the release of endorphins, so lasering you once isn’t going to give you a steady endorphin rush that lasts a month and a half. Even if they could flood your limbic system with a massive dose of endorphins that continually activated your opioid receptors for six weeks, that would likely lead to some unpleasant outcomes like mania or rage. It’s not like endorphins are targeted and your brain will know they’re just intended to give you satiation for your smoking cravings, your hypothalamus might give you a good dose of fight or flight hormones in response to the sudden overload of endorphins.

Endorphins are, however, also related to the placebo effect, which I think is what is at play here when people report successful results. You can get natural endorphins from exercising, laughing, having sex, eating spicy foods, etc., which would give you a natural high and hopefully help you to overcome the psychological aspects of addiction that you mentioned. It’s not as easy a fix as this laser method promises, but it is considerably cheaper and much less scientifically questionable. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6342 posts
2837 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Can't say I have but this might be worth a read.

You're going to have to stay away from smokers once/if you get off.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2118 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Can't say I have but this might be worth a read.

You're going to have to stay away from smokers once/if you get off.
Yea that's what I figured. The person explained to me this has been around for 20+ years and yet literally everyone I've asked at work and with friends, only ONE person has heard of it, 2 did it and were both successful right away, but to me I still have to wonder how much of it is a placebo effect...

On the other side of it, if it truly is that high of a success rate why are people who want to quit not rushing to get this done and praising this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
Have you tried other methods?
I quit 6yrs ago cold turkey, having smoked for 20yrs.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1834 posts
1051 upvotes
Durham
Well vaping does work for a lot of people. Don't believe the negativity on the media. Those getting sick or dying are using blackmarket THC pods. Go to a reputable vape shop or store that sells the pod systems and you will be fine.
Jul 7, 2005
576 posts
151 upvotes
If your goal is to quit, never stop trying to quit....right now I've stopped smoking for 4 yrs longest time ever, slowly built up to this from weeks, to months, to a year; smoked well over 15yrs prior to attempting to quit.

I will still have a smoke when I'm vacation in (only) Japan, because i do enjoy smoking Mild Sevens (eh Mevius is what they call it these days)