• Feb 16th, 2021 12:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 28, 2012
396 posts
341 upvotes
ONT

Laserdiscs, any collector value?

I'm downsizing and purging before moving to a condo. I have a laserdisc player and 12 laserdiscs.

Is there any value to these, do some people collect them like vinyl records?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2113 posts
545 upvotes
Central Ontario
Try eBay. These used to be highly collectible, especially certain titles and players that weren't the entry models.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4368 posts
2662 upvotes
Gotham
They are virtually worthless unless you have one that is a collector's item. I have one - a concert video that was released in the 1990s that might be worth $100 because it was only released on LD and VHS PAL. Otherwise, you can buy them for a couple dollars each on eBay, however, the shipping because of the size and weight would be a killer.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2768 posts
3484 upvotes
Calgary
List it online. You may never know. I've sold old portable CD players and Walkmans that I thought were worthless, but it did eventually sell.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12926 posts
2221 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I see players listed on Craigslist and Facebook for around $100. And since I keep seeing them, I would say that some people over-estimate the demand of these things.
May 31, 2008
84 posts
68 upvotes
As others have mentioned you might be able to sell online for around $100 depending on the model and condition, while units that can play both sides will fetch a little more. As for the actual discs they seem to range from $15-$20 each but it really depends on the titles.

However, It's possible they could take awhile to sell as they really don't offer the same nostalgia feeling as a record player and vinyl which has seen a strong resurgence over the years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5653 posts
2492 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
And lasers and other mechanicals wear out too. Can you actually get parts, other than salvage from other LD players?

Been looking for a HD-DVD (have HDDVDs but never had a player, other than the Samsung BD/HD-DVD OD) and the red laser seems to go first.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
thriftshopper wrote: And lasers and other mechanicals wear out too. Can you actually get parts, other than salvage from other LD players?

Been looking for a HD-DVD (have HDDVDs but never had a player, other than the Samsung BD/HD-DVD OD) and the red laser seems to go first.
u might be lucky and find replacement laser. belts are easy to find replacement parts for but anything else and good luck u would have to find another player and scrap it for parts. also some players made by sony use alot of the early surface mounted craps and require major recaps. someone bought one of the pioneer laser active systems that have the plug in packs that let u turn the player in to a sega genesis with sega cd or a TurboGrafx with the turbo cd. and the guy made youtube video of it he had to not only replace every cap in the laser disc part he had to fully recap both the pack for the turbo and sega units as every one has leaking caps inside.

why would u want to bother with an HD-DVD player i believe all but a couple titles have been reprinted now on bluray.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5653 posts
2492 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
aaron158 wrote: why would u want to bother with an HD-DVD player i believe all but a couple titles have been reprinted now on bluray.
Talking $10-20 at most (so cheaper than one BD at full whack). Missed one at the thrift shop the other day because I was too cheap, and didn't have HD-DVD in the car to test it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
thriftshopper wrote: Talking $10-20 at most (so cheaper than one BD at full whack). Missed one at the thrift shop the other day because I was too cheap, and didn't have HD-DVD in the car to test it.
just watch for sales or buy used u can find blurays under 10 easy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5653 posts
2492 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
aaron158 wrote: just watch for sales or buy used u can find blurays under 10 easy
$2 is my max price point.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2533 posts
1310 upvotes
London
thriftshopper wrote: $2 is my max price point.
well then maybe u need a new hobby even a thrift store charges more then 2