Shopping Discussion

lasik md vs bochner vs herzig - laser eye surgery

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2015 4:25 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2010
743 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto

lasik md vs bochner vs herzig - laser eye surgery

I just came back from a free assessment at LASIK MD and it looks like they want me to pay $2000 per eye, which after browsing these forums seems like the standard.

No matter what I'll be getting the surgery, but I'm wondering if LASIK MD is even the best company to go with?

Does anyone have any experience with Bochner or Herzig? Are the prices all similar? Any troubles with any of these companies?
16 replies
Sr. Member
Apr 3, 2007
659 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
I personally don't have any experience, but I did talk to my friend about it yesterday. He did his at Bochner and said it was great. Best decision he ever made. Apparently they give you a box of chocolates or a hat after the visit....lol So random.

From what I talked with him yesterday he said the whole process was quick, simple and life changing in a matter of 30 minutes. Just a lot of paper work involved.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Bochner and Herzig tend to be more expensive. They quoted me over $5500 for both eyes. Herzig in particular has different pricing depending on which doctor does your surgery. Personally, I understand the reasoning, but find it off-putting. If you ask them to elaborate, they will insist that all the available doctors, including the most expensive who is their co-founder, are equally skilled and all perform to the highest level. I completely believe that: the co-founder just can't be bothered to put on a surgical mask for less. Kind of like actors get paid according to name recognition and not necessarily their acting abilities.

I ultimately went with Lasik MD because I could not find any convincing evidence that there was any quality difference between any of the clinics in the city core. I think my experience would have been great regardless of which clinic I went with, Lasik MD just left me with a little more money.

In most of these cases the surgeon you pick only does the actual surgery, all the pre-op and post-op checks are done by lower level technicians. If you have any particularly adverse post-op side effects they might get the surgeon to check you, otherwise, you might never see them again.

I even had a consultation with a smaller clinic in Scarborough that offered a slightly different kind of procedure, but being small, they did not offer the same flexibility in scheduling, so that's another thing to consider. I think most clinics in city core would be able to book you on any day of the week.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2010
743 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Out of curiosity, has anyone also been able to get insurance to cover some of the costs?

I'm self employed and not insured, but might consider getting it if it may cover some of this procedure.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1491 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
your insurance won't cover lasik eye surgery. even if it does, it'll be like $100 or $150 towards the surgery.

i did lasik at lasikmd when there was a deal for it for $2500 (save -1500$) on rfd - i think it was advanced wavefront.
my vision has been great for the last 4 years.

Another thing to consider is to do it at a foreign country and take a free vacation out of it. For example, south korea is an advanced country and you could probably get it done at half the cost at high end clinics in korea.

as for the 3 that you listed, i don't believe there is much difference to justify the price difference for me.
..
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
steeped wrote: Out of curiosity, has anyone also been able to get insurance to cover some of the costs?

I'm self employed and not insured, but might consider getting it if it may cover some of this procedure.
In general lasik is covered under vision benefits, unless specifically excluded by the insurance company.

Different packages offer different amounts for vision benefits, and many plans only cover $100-300 every 2 years, so it's not exactly a lot (it's more for covering regular eye exams than surgery). That said, some plans also provide $1000 or more for any health related spending, and that would be a more effective way to cover it.

You'd have to check what the premiums would be though, but I'm quite sure it would not be economical if all you are interested in is reducing the cost of lasik.
Sr. Member
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Did my surgery old school at young Eglinton laser for 1200 back in 2005. Well worth it 10 years later. Old technology but still works.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 28, 2011
850 posts
357 upvotes
Markham
Wife went to Yonge Eglington clinic. 5 years later and she's happy with the result. Was 5K for both eyes and she had (has?) pretty bad astigmatism. Staff/office was nice.
Banned
User avatar
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
bionicbadger wrote: Wait for bionic lens implant
No thanks. Porn will never be the same.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2005
2004 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
mathiewannabe wrote: your insurance won't cover lasik eye surgery. even if it does, it'll be like $100 or $150 towards the surgery.

i did lasik at lasikmd when there was a deal for it for $2500 (save -1500$) on rfd - i think it was advanced wavefront.
my vision has been great for the last 4 years.

Another thing to consider is to do it at a foreign country and take a free vacation out of it. For example, south korea is an advanced country and you could probably get it done at half the cost at high end clinics in korea.

as for the 3 that you listed, i don't believe there is much difference to justify the price difference for me.
Coverage depends on the plan your company bought. My wife's plan allowed me to use my full optical amount as well as her health spending account. Take into the 10% referral discount and half the cost was covered for me.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1491 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Toronto wrote: Coverage depends on the plan your company bought. My wife's plan allowed me to use my full optical amount as well as her health spending account. Take into the 10% referral discount and half the cost was covered for me.
OP does not have benefits as he is self employed.

I think my company's benefits cover 2.5$k. You won't get this from private health insurance.
..
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 5, 2007
5490 posts
1225 upvotes
416
Starting to look into this again after my specialist gave me the green light to consider vision correction after 5 years.

Due to the fact that I have an eye condition (from prolonged contact lens wear), my ophthalmologist only recommends I see a corneal specialist. I haven't done much research myself yet, but he said not all Lasik procedures are performed by corneal specialists. In my case because I have the eyes of a 90 year old (I'm 35) he recommended YELC as they are all corneal specialists there.

I know my situation is unique, but it's something to consider when looking for someone to perform the procedure.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3471 posts
836 upvotes
Canada
had mine done in December from Lasik MD. cost about $3600? for advance wavefront or whatever that technology is called for lifetime guarantee. 10/10 (i had 20/15 vision legit) would get it done again (not that i will ever have to).

You can claim the medical expenses on your tax return and get some $ back. I've heard the best place foreign country to get this procedure done is Turkey (cheap and best treatment)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10376 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
badsha wrote: had mine done in December from Lasik MD. cost about $3600? for advance wavefront or whatever that technology is called for lifetime guarantee. 10/10 (i had 20/15 vision legit) would get it done again (not that i will ever have to).

You can claim the medical expenses on your tax return and get some $ back. I've heard the best place foreign country to get this procedure done is Turkey (cheap and best treatment)
Turkey is a developing country. It may be cheap but do you really want surgeons from a developing country working on your eyes?

Top