Sports & Recreation

The Last Dance - The Untold Story of Michael Jordan and The Bulls to premiere April 20 on Netflix

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 6:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village

The Last Dance - The Untold Story of Michael Jordan and The Bulls to premiere April 20 on Netflix

Really looking forward to this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ce-1287633

The Last Dance, slated to premiere on both Netflix and ESPN, will follow Jordan's stunning rise during the 1990s, the success of the Chicago Bulls and the simultaneous increase in popularity for the NBA.

Directed by Jason Hehir (The Fab Five, The '85 Bears, Andre the Giant) and produced by Mike Tollin, the 10-part series will employ more than 500 previously unseen hours of footage from the Bulls' last championship run in 1997-98, with Jordan, other Bulls figures and dozens of sports luminaries signed on for commentary.

Last edited by scoper on Apr 15th, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All day I dream about sports
107 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3194 posts
1832 upvotes
Mississauga
This airing on Netflix Canada? Or do I need to get my vpn game up and running
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village
mau_mau wrote: This airing on Netflix Canada? Or do I need to get my vpn game up and running
Canada Netflix, no vpn needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1959 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
are these 10 episodes released in 1 go?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village
DimsumDeals wrote: are these 10 episodes released in 1 go?
No, NF will make available 2 episodes each Monday, the day after they air on ESPN. Schedule below. They are rushing this to premiere early during the pandemic and the final episodes are actually still being worked on by the production crew from their homes.

Monday, April 20 3:01am EST
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 1
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 2

Monday, April 27 3:01am EST
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 3
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 4

Monday, May 4 3:01am EST
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 5
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 6

Monday, May 11 3:01am EST
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 7
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 8

Monday, May 18 3:01am EST
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 9
Premiere of “The Last Dance” Episode 10
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village
When MJ jumped he just catapulted, there is a scene in the 1st 2 episodes where he jumps to block a shot and he jumped so high he hit the back of his head on the backboard..
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2227 posts
509 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I had no idea it was on Netflix today, I thought TSN would show it last night, like ESPN.

This is so great, especially for those of us who grew up watching MJ and the Bulls. Watched ep 1 and 2 this morning, can't wait till next Monday.
Oct 25, 2010
88 posts
21 upvotes
Ontario
Is Netflix airing the uncensored version?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10027 posts
4402 upvotes
scoper wrote: When MJ jumped he just catapulted, there is a scene in the 1st 2 episodes where he jumps to block a shot and he jumped so high he hit the back of his head on the backboard..
Several NBA players jump that high.

I'll tune in to this documentary later this week. I only really saw old Washington Wizards Jordan aside from youtube compilation videos of his Bull's highlights.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48409 posts
11703 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
XFactor11 wrote: Several NBA players jump that high.

I'll tune in to this documentary later this week. I only really saw old Washington Wizards Jordan aside from youtube compilation videos of his Bull's highlights.

To be fair... Vince Carter is known as the best dunker of all time :D
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10602 posts
4570 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote:
Several NBA players jump that high.

UrbanPoet wrote: To be fair... Vince Carter is known as the best dunker of all time :D
But I would also add that, you have to consider back in time. It's a fact that with time, athletes from a physical standpoint have much more available from research, nutrition, etc. to potentially be faster, stronger, etc. and really reach the peak (as far as known today) of their body's capability. When you think back to the early 80's, it's impressive.

I really only know the dynasty years, but oh I would have liked to have been a basketball fan seeing Jordan for the first time in his rookie season and being in awe with what he was doing on the court - again as above, given what was the norm at the time. It definitely seems like other hall of famers were already somewhat in awe from his first season.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2632 posts
168 upvotes
You can tell from his draft class how overlooked he was. The style of game back then favored bigger players. They even mention how some coaches/players didn't see him as a good player because of his height.
kenchau wrote: But I would also add that, you have to consider back in time. It's a fact that with time, athletes from a physical standpoint have much more available from research, nutrition, etc. to potentially be faster, stronger, etc. and really reach the peak (as far as known today) of their body's capability. When you think back to the early 80's, it's impressive.

I really only know the dynasty years, but oh I would have liked to have been a basketball fan seeing Jordan for the first time in his rookie season and being in awe with what he was doing on the court - again as above, given what was the norm at the time. It definitely seems like other hall of famers were already somewhat in awe from his first season.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1959 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
Damn that was a good first 2 episodes, i couldn't stop watching.
we need episodes 3-10 now!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48409 posts
11703 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
danman227460 wrote: You can tell from his draft class how overlooked he was. The style of game back then favored bigger players. They even mention how some coaches/players didn't see him as a good player because of his height.
Coaches used to yell @ players for taking 3 pointers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village
danman227460 wrote: You can tell from his draft class how overlooked he was. The style of game back then favored bigger players. They even mention how some coaches/players didn't see him as a good player because of his height.
Imagine if Portland had drafted him #2 and they played smallball together with Clyde Drexler, they would have revolutionized the game.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Several NBA players jump that high.

If you look at younger MJ, he flies off one foot. More like a running long jump and higher jumper in one that makes it more impressive. Carter had the explosiveness of power, but it was more controlled since he would have had to squat down and push off both legs vs MJ just doing it from a running motion and hence crashing into that backboard with several more feet of horizontal to go.

Like this where when he dunks, he literally has to duck his head by using the rim as a 'stopper' so he doesn't hit his head into the backboard.

Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: But I would also add that, you have to consider back in time. It's a fact that with time, athletes from a physical standpoint have much more available from research, nutrition, etc. to potentially be faster, stronger, etc. and really reach the peak (as far as known today) of their body's capability. When you think back to the early 80's, it's impressive.

Pro Players today are scientifically specialized machines. Wayne Gretzky mentioned that he even got 'sick' of hockey in the summer and played other sports. Or go out and play for fun instead of focusing so much focus on drills. Jordan said the same. Said he played alot of baseball in the summer instead of just basketball all the time. Many players of that era said the same. I tend to agree that excelling at other sports may give you an edge. Similar to Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash playing soccer helping their footwork (players from Africa are also notable examples, like Olajuwon). Players today also play in indoor gyms, indoor access vs in the backyard, or on the playground where things are more bumpy, uneven, a bit more wild.

With all the money involved today, it's an arms race. Schools, leagues also get huge monetary benefits from being known as that school that has a good program.

Nutrition, sports science, therapy/surgery are also huge game changers. And then at the pro-level, each team have their own chartered plans. In the 80s and into early 90s, NBA teams still rode Commercial. Having to go to the airport, wait in line, eat airport food just like everyone else. Then cramped plans. Then old 'wives' tail like eating steak is good, raw eggs, etc.

Funnily, I see the players from international places, like Toronto's team being similar to NBA player of the 80s. A guy like Siakam, where growing up, it's not about weightlifting, muscle mass, exact science, etc. But they have a good all around base that can be more beneficial.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7552 posts
4425 upvotes
Global Village
UrbanPoet wrote: I think i read this whole story in a looong article...
What happened to the bulls.

https://www.blogabull.com/2017/3/24/150 ... tie-pippen
If Krause had his way Pipen would have been traded the summer of 97 to Boston for their #3 pick and he would have undoubtedly drafted Tracy McGrady with it, he had tracked him since grade school and really liked him. It would have accelerated the post-MJ Bulls rebuild but would have most likely meant no historic 6th chip.