Expired Hot Deals

[The Last Hunt] 30% ARC'TERYX @ The Last Hunt (new arrivals)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 8:17 pm
Jul 14, 2014
166 posts
32 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Sporting life also has 30% off arcteryx
May 5, 2017
313 posts
64 upvotes
jtcipro wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 6:02 pm
thanks op. lots of sizes left, picked myself up another delta lt fleece. Great mid layer
How do these hold up over time? I was disappointed they fit more loosely than most arcteryx stuff, which I found surprising for a mid layer. Still would be useful
Jan 23, 2013
120 posts
115 upvotes
v3nt0 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:38 pm
Is the atom ar a good investment? Looking for something warm /hot. Weight is not a big concern.
There are no returns or exchanges at thelasthunt, so you may want to find a store to try these on before committing.
Atom AR is a mid-weight mid-layer that feels like wearing a hug and most people love it - it is warm, but not hot.
If you are looking for hot, I suggest a heavy duty mid-layer such as Cerium SV or a parka such as the Ceres SV.
Arcteryx has a pretty reasonable warranty and will replace your piece if it fails, so if you buy their stuff at a good discount it is a good investment. At regular price, not so much.
Jul 22, 2010
319 posts
13 upvotes
Markham
szostalo wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:49 am
There are no returns or exchanges at thelasthunt, so you may want to find a store to try these on before committing.
Atom AR is a mid-weight mid-layer that feels like wearing a hug and most people love it - it is warm, but not hot.
If you are looking for hot, I suggest a heavy duty mid-layer such as Cerium SV or a parka such as the Ceres SV.
Arcteryx has a pretty reasonable warranty and will replace your piece if it fails, so if you buy their stuff at a good discount it is a good investment. At regular price, not so much.
What would you suggest when the weather is about -5 ?
May 5, 2006
555 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I got an Atom LT, but was looking for an outer layer on top for colder, winter temperatures about -5. Any colder and I can wear my parka. Any suggestions as to which one I should get? I was looking at the Gamma MX which is insulated, or the Beta SL but worried that might not be warm enough. Most of the time would probably just be spent commuting or around town. Thoughts?
Feb 15, 2009
462 posts
55 upvotes
kaijujager wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:48 am
Can’t find them on ebates...
https://www.ebates.ca/thelasthunt.com

edit: c/p for the ebates page. I can't seem to hyperlink the page properly
Nov 14, 2006
622 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary
kaijujager wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:48 am
Can’t find them on ebates...
Note that "the Last Hunt does not track cash back on mobile purchases" (quote from the ebates page). I don't think you can even request the desktop version of the site (at least on Android Chrome) - I've always had to use a computer web browser.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1012 posts
104 upvotes
Calgary
markol wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:18 am
I got an Atom LT, but was looking for an outer layer on top for colder, winter temperatures about -5. Any colder and I can wear my parka. Any suggestions as to which one I should get? I was looking at the Gamma MX which is insulated, or the Beta SL but worried that might not be warm enough. Most of the time would probably just be spent commuting or around town. Thoughts?
beta SL will 100% not be warm especially not at -5. it's just a goretex shell. one example of when you might use it is when you're on a hike and it suddenly starts pouring, you throw this on and it keeps your insulating layers from getting wet (thus maintaining their effectiveness). the main advantage of the beta SL is that it's a light layer so it packs down nice and easy for hikers.

and also the beta is very crinkly because of the goretex material. you'll hear the material kinda like a garbage bag (lol) when you move around in it.
Nov 14, 2006
622 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary
markol wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:18 am
For -5, Gamma MX is probably your best bet. Note that by "insulated", that just refers to the fact that the gamma MX has a light fleece backing behind the outer softshell, whereas the Beta SL is purely a hardshell. Either way, you'll want the Atom LT layered underneath as the active insulation layer. The biggest boost to warmth in negative temps is the fact that both shells act as an outler layer to cut the wind out, so that your insulating layer can better hold heat (especially as the Atom has breathable fleece under the arms and on the sidepanels, which is good for active use but can be quite chilly for commuting or low-output activities). Keep in mind that the primary use for the Beta (being a goretex shell) is for plus temp water/rain protection. At negative temperatures, even if you encounter precipitation, it will be frozen (a little bit of moisture from melted snow as you go in/outdoors will be easily dealt with by the DWR on either jacket). The other added benefit of the Gamma MX is comfort and mobility due to the stretch fabric, and the increased durability/abrasion resistance. It will also serve you well in the shoulder seasons and low plus temps as a standalone layer.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2018
304 posts
127 upvotes
Couldn't resist and bought a camosun and a magnus in blue with the extra 10% code. Not sure if i'm gonna miss the pit zips.
May 5, 2006
555 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
smrt123 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:09 pm
For -5, Gamma MX is probably your best bet. Note that by "insulated", that just refers to the fact that the gamma MX has a light fleece backing behind the outer softshell, whereas the Beta SL is purely a hardshell. Either way, you'll want the Atom LT layered underneath as the active insulation layer. The biggest boost to warmth in negative temps is the fact that both shells act as an outler layer to cut the wind out, so that your insulating layer can better hold heat (especially as the Atom has breathable fleece under the arms and on the sidepanels, which is good for active use but can be quite chilly for commuting or low-output activities). Keep in mind that the primary use for the Beta (being a goretex shell) is for plus temp water/rain protection. At negative temperatures, even if you encounter precipitation, it will be frozen (a little bit of moisture from melted snow as you go in/outdoors will be easily dealt with by the DWR on either jacket). The other added benefit of the Gamma MX is comfort and mobility due to the stretch fabric, and the increased durability/abrasion resistance. It will also serve you well in the shoulder seasons and low plus temps as a standalone layer.
Clement wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:41 pm
beta SL will 100% not be warm especially not at -5. it's just a goretex shell. one example of when you might use it is when you're on a hike and it suddenly starts pouring, you throw this on and it keeps your insulating layers from getting wet (thus maintaining their effectiveness). the main advantage of the beta SL is that it's a light layer so it packs down nice and easy for hikers.

and also the beta is very crinkly because of the goretex material. you'll hear the material kinda like a garbage bag (lol) when you move around in it.
Okay so it looks like I'm leaning more towards the Gamma MX then for my use-case. Do you guys know about the Fission SV? I've seen that being recommended quite a bit too and it's also insulated. I'm just not 100% sure the differences. I'm guessing the Fission SV is even warmer as it's supposed to be for severe weather?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1012 posts
104 upvotes
Calgary
markol wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:37 pm

Okay so it looks like I'm leaning more towards the Gamma MX then for my use-case. Do you guys know about the Fission SV? I've seen that being recommended quite a bit too and it's also insulated. I'm just not 100% sure the differences. I'm guessing the Fission SV is even warmer as it's supposed to be for severe weather?
I have a fission sv. I love it.

I find parkas like north face Gotham much too heavy and bulky. I tend to run hot so I don't really layer up as much. I usually have a tee on underneath the fission and I find I am plenty warm even down to -15. fission is also a GTX shell but I find for whatever reason it's less crinkly sounding than the beta line. maybe because it has that insulating layer in it which dissipates that sound somewhat. but I am a huge fan of the jacket.

the gamma is a lighter use jacket from what I understand. it's not as insulating as the fission and doesn't repel moisture as well because it's DWR vs goretex.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1204 posts
163 upvotes
Keep in mind Fission SV is also twice the price of the Gamma MX, $800 vs $400 MSRP.

I bought a Gamma MX but ended up returning it for a North Face Apex Flex GTX 2.0. Gamma MX is weather resistant, not proof. I didn't try it out but I have read and heard from folks who have the jacket that the DWR wears off quickly and after that can't get it back and it just soaks through, even in light rain.
Last edited by crustydragon on Jan 10th, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.