EXPOSURE/2™ GORE-TEX® PACLITE JACKET - MEN'S $187.99 CAD

Deal Link:
Price:
$187.99
Savings:
$102 off
Retailer:
The Last Hunt
Great deal for a packable Goretex coat. $187.99 Hard to find Goretex for under $300. I was looking for a packable Goretex for a trip to Peru and found this deal.
https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/mo ... -YQAvD_BwE

$187.99
Edit: Turns out this jacket is on sale on Mountain Hardwares site for $ 144.98 CAD Ugh... I don't think The Last Hunt refunds either?
https://www.mountainhardwear.ca/en/mens ... ml#start=5
Images
  • Goretex.jpg
Last edited by Northguy on Oct 26th, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
45 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1487 posts
247 upvotes
Good price on the Mountain Hardwear Exposure ($290 elsewhere) but it looks like only a chest pocket, I guess hence can pack down lite. I have the Minimalist for $129.99, good all around basic Goretex jacket.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1009 upvotes
Saskatoon
What is special about Goretex ?
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4513 posts
6121 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I got the minimalist jacket last week for under $90 with tax at Altitude Sports, after the $15 for $30 Alti dollars donation and the triple membership discount
ukrainiandude wrote: What is special about Goretex ?
It's a magnum condom for your magnum bod
Oct 10, 2006
407 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
crustydragon wrote: Good price on the Mountain Hardwear Exposure ($290 elsewhere) but it looks like only a chest pocket, I guess hence can pack down lite. I have the Minimalist for $129.99, good all around basic Goretex jacket.
I have an older generation of this jacket and I love it. It's minimum, but keeps you dry and packs extremely well!

The chest pocket is big enough to put in a wallet. There are pockets on either side to allow you to put your hands in and is quite roomy. Enough to put your cellphone in. Unfortunately, there are no pockets inside the jacket.
Jan 12, 2009
257 posts
327 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Ummm...a bit more specifically Gore-Tex membranes are used in waterproof-breathable garments, so it generally keeps water out, but lets moisture/sweat escape from your body so you do not get soaked when wearing (theoretically).

It's usually guaranteed for life of the product, so if you have failures, either the vendor or Gore-Tex will reimburse/replace your gear.

There are other competing technologies that work similarly (e.g. eVent), so read reviews
Dec 22, 2014
146 posts
121 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
Anybody have recommendations for a 3-layer Gore Tex jacket? I understand they hold up better and may have higher performance. I am aware of Arc'teryx AR and MEC Synergy jackets. Looking for similar offerings (at a lower price!).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1177 posts
916 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Joelm72 wrote: Anybody have recommendations for a 3-layer Gore Tex jacket? I understand they hold up better and may have higher performance. I am aware of Arc'teryx AR and MEC Synergy jackets. Looking for similar offerings (at a lower price!).
Outdoor Research has sales now and then. They shouuuuuuld have a 50% off sale in november... I believe it's a seasonal thing with them. I really like their gear, and the warranty is the best out of outdoorsy clothing companies.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Jun 12, 2007
900 posts
546 upvotes
OutsideYourWorld wrote: Outdoor Research has sales now and then. They shouuuuuuld have a 50% off sale in november... I believe it's a seasonal thing with them. I really like their gear, and the warranty is the best out of outdoorsy clothing companies.
+1 for Outdoor Research. Ive used their lifetime warranty without any issues. Quality products, I put them up there on par with patagonia, and more affordable than arcteryx.
PS not all goretex is equal.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1177 posts
916 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
kingkelly wrote: +1 for Outdoor Research. Ive used their lifetime warranty without any issues. Quality products, I put them up there on par with patagonia, and more affordable than arcteryx.
PS not all goretex is equal.
Yea i've found that paclite is pretty terrible at anything other than urban use. Just got a second hand goretex pro jacket the other day i'll be testing for hiking.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2636 posts
566 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: This one doesn't seem to have arm pit vents. How important are those? Do these kinds of jackets get hot?
Very important even if you're just walking around in the jacket unless you want to feel sweaty.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1177 posts
916 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
eugene188 wrote: This one doesn't seem to have arm pit vents. How important are those? Do these kinds of jackets get hot?
Deals Deals Deals wrote: Very important even if you're just walking around in the jacket unless you want to feel sweaty.
Goretex requires a temperature difference to transfer moisture. With the pit vents open, that process is disrupted. That particular jacket is goretex active, which is a pretty darn thin material. I can't speak to how effective or breathable it is, but if I remember correctly that's why they didn't add pit zips (also cuts a little weight).

I always go for things with pit zips, but i'm a sweaty hog of a person. They're good for when you want that extra layer and need breathability, but not useful if it's more than a drizzle.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2017
1177 posts
916 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
barqy wrote: I bought the optimizer jacket a few months back and wore it less than 10x around town but the rain no longer beads in certain areas

Is this normal for this type of jacket? My previous mountain hardware jacket kept water beading for *much* longer
Every jacket loses its DWR coating eventually. Some seem to lose it faster than others. Probably has to do with the outer material?
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
331 posts
126 upvotes
Victoria
barqy wrote: I bought the optimizer jacket a few months back and wore it less than 10x around town but the rain no longer beads in certain areas

Is this normal for this type of jacket? My previous mountain hardware jacket kept water beading for *much* longer
Google how to wash and restore water repellency for Goretex using the drier. I do it for my work coat every few months
Mar 4, 2014
120 posts
95 upvotes
How would this layer over an arcteryx puffy and fleece?