Shopping Discussion

The Last Hunt just charged me provincial sales tax

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2021 10:24 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes

The Last Hunt just charged me provincial sales tax

I have not been charged provincial sales tax by TLH until just now!!! It seems like it is the tax rate of my province of residence, BC. WTF?!?!?!?!
11 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 16, 2015
632 posts
1288 upvotes
Calgary, AB
That's correct. By law, mail order companies in Canada are required to charge and remit sales tax based on the province the goods are shipped to.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2959 posts
3639 upvotes
Langley
WOW breaking news!! You paid tax!!

Common man.... lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15341 posts
20724 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: I have not been charged provincial sales tax by TLH until just now!!! It seems like it is the tax rate of my province of residence, BC. WTF?!?!?!?!
It started six weeks ago. Businesses located elsewhere in Canada that sell goods and services that are taxable in BC have to collect PST when selling them to BC residents.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
This is the BC premiere's doing? This is BC specific? Damn!

I saved so much money from TLH from not having to pay BC PST.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2007
983 posts
1556 upvotes
im an ecommerce mechant so this affects me and i didn't know about it (but i sell less than 10K a year to BC so am exempt)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Any time you can get away without paying taxes, be sure to take advantage and enjoy it while you can. Eventually the various Canadian governments will find out about it and put an end to it, enforcing the already extensive and overreaching laws on taxation, or just passing more laws overnight, to ensure they get their cut. Too bad we can't tax the government back on bullshit winter endured while living here.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15341 posts
20724 upvotes
Vancouver
TrueToy wrote: im an ecommerce mechant so this affects me and i didn't know about it (but i sell less than 10K a year to BC so am exempt)
Can you show me where you found that exemption? I remember reading that too but couldn't find it today when searching the BC Gov site. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22891 posts
21734 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Becks wrote: This is the BC premiere's doing? This is BC specific? Damn!

I saved so much money from TLH from not having to pay BC PST.
Not just BC

Other Provinces are tightening their Tax Collection Rules as well ...
Know Quebec just started to do this too

Provinces see it as lost revenues

It’s a case of laws finally catching up with the times we live in

Once upon a time, the tax laws read that Provincial Sales Tax was only applicable to the residents
So folks would often cross provincial borders to skip the tax
Very common here in Eastern Ontario
Montrealers shopping in Ottawa, and vice versa

Now we have Internet shopping
Which eliminates the need to be somewhere physically

The old rules applied for awhile
But gradually provincial governments are catching up
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2007
983 posts
1556 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Can you show me where you found that exemption? I remember reading that too but couldn't find it today when searching the BC Gov site. Thanks.
i reread this document and now do not understand if its 10k bc or 10k period

its in section 7
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... ct-pst.pdf

my business would also be exempt because it doesn't 'solicit' buisness in bc per their definition. i get the felling a lot of small/medium buisnesses just wont do this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6956 posts
4689 upvotes
SW ON
jaybeeg wrote: That's correct. By law, mail order companies in Canada are required to charge and remit sales tax based on the province the goods are shipped to.
When did this change? Any links?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15341 posts
20724 upvotes
Vancouver
TrueToy wrote: i reread this document and now do not understand if its 10k bc or 10k period

its in section 7
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes ... ct-pst.pdf

my business would also be exempt because it doesn't 'solicit' buisness in bc per their definition. i get the felling a lot of small/medium buisnesses just wont do this.
Thanks for the link. Sounds to me like it's only when your BC sales over the past 12 months generated revenue of $10k+, or you are expected to generate that from BC residents in the next 12 months.

Top