• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 11:43 pm
[OP]
Jun 11, 2005
460 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge

Last minute driving to NYC - advice needed

We’re thinking of doing a last minute driving trip to NYC.
We would be leaving from Toronto.
We would not be staying for New Year’s Eve.

I have some questions I’m hoping to get some advice on.

1. Is there somewhere to get highway conditions regarding the weather? I’d like to know what the weather forecast along the highway would be on the way there and on the way back.

2. We are ok with staying outside of Manhattan and taking the subway into the city. We’ve stayed in New Jersey in the past, but I’m hoping not to go through Manhattan in order to get all the way to New Jersey. Is there somewhere west of Manhattan that we could stay and take the subway?

3. Will Rockefeller Centre still be decorated? Will Saks still have their light and music display?

4. Any hidden gems that can be recommended?
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20034 posts
5425 upvotes
Good Morning
I went to NYC a few years ago after Christmas and before New Years. Much regret. Everything was a line up, subway was constantly crammed, we just wandered around the city and ate fast food and tourist traps. Lined up for 2 hrs to enter the Nintendo store, didn't try the m&m store as the line went across the building and intersection.

Rockefeller and Saks still had the display at the time. It was definitely very nice but super busy. Hard to get pictures near Times Square due to the amount of people.

We drove from Toronto too, ran into a snow storm near Buffalo. Must of seen at least a dozen cars abandoned on the side of the road or ditch, so make sure you have winter tires. It should be okay if the forecast isn't too bad, but lake effect is real.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8602 posts
1509 upvotes
Vancouver
Instead of going up the Empire State Building there is a cool all weather roof top patio with a good view of empire. No cover but reservations recommended blankets and heaters to keep you warm happy hour starts at 4pm. Cash preferred In outdoor bar. It’s called 230 5th ave rooftop bar

You can also check out west light in Brooklyn for their rooftop patio (outdoor area not heated) best view of Manhattan skyline. Reserverations recommended perfect for sunset. Free binoculars

I ate at oxomocco in Brooklyn recently michelin one star reasonable pricing good cocktials.

Don’t waste your time with the mindless tourists in midtown. Explore. I saw Congo lines of people with those m and m bags. You go to one of the most unique cities in the world and waste your time at some candy shop. Madness in my opinion.
Last edited by GangStarr on Dec 25th, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
S U wrote: ....

1. Is there somewhere to get highway conditions regarding the weather? ?
Repost

Just FYI
The US national weather service has a US travel planner for cross country driving that incorporates weather forecasts

http://preview.weather.gov/edd/

The description of how it works

http://thevane.gawker.com/this-powerful ... 1655589552

It’s a bit convoluted, but you can enter your start and endpoint plus the start date/ time. It comes up with the route and weather forecast along the route at the time you pass that point in the route.

It also allows you to enter waypoints where you want to pass through as well as if you want to overnight at that waypoint
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
coriolis wrote: I went to NYC a few years ago after Christmas and before New Years. Much regret. Everything was a line up, subway was constantly crammed, we just wandered around the city and ate fast food and tourist traps. Lined up for 2 hrs to enter the Nintendo store, didn't try the m&m store as the line went across the building and intersection.

Rockefeller and Saks still had the display at the time. It was definitely very nice but super busy. Hard to get pictures near Times Square due to the amount of people.

We drove from Toronto too, ran into a snow storm near Buffalo. Must of seen at least a dozen cars abandoned on the side of the road or ditch, so make sure you have winter tires. It should be okay if the forecast isn't too bad, but lake effect is real.
After this report I would cancel immediately.

Merry Christmas
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8602 posts
1509 upvotes
Vancouver
antigua1999 wrote:
After this report I would cancel immediately.

Merry Christmas
Not sure if sarcastic if so well done. Midtown Manhattan is a total tourist first time off the bus from Kansas type of place.

I go to nyc once a year minimum and every time I go I learn and explore new places. There is nothing. Like it on in the USA. dare I say the world.

Hop pubs. Google the arts scene walk around. Talk to strangers go to the boroughs and it’s the city that never sleeps. While drinking laws end at 4 am haha you’ll find places that serve past.

Experiencing the city is for adults though.

That said recently did the 9/11 museum it was really well done recommend the tour. I usually am In and out of museums. I spent hours there
Autocorrect sucks