The Last of Us Part 2 - (June 19, 2020)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 4:58 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4393 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: anyone in Toronto done playing this game? I'll buy The Last of Us 2 off you
Have stores broken street date or something? It's not out til Friday... and reviewers would've gotten digital copies of the game so reviewers in Toronto won't be able to sell this to you...

Really interesting discussion around the reviews, but arguing over something so subjective is moot. Reviewers are entirely at the mercy of publishers and developers, and pushing a score from 8 to 9 or 9 to 10 isn't really that big of a deal, nor is it that hard to do if it means preferential treatment for future game reviews. Plus giving a glowing review of an expectedly good game will likely get you clicks regardless, as long as your SEO puts you above the fold. Even Metacritic favours higher review scores, since the higher scores are highlighted above the lower scores...

TLOU was a great game, but not one without its flaws... It had moments of tedium, and frustrating gunplay (like Uncharted series). It's also one of those games you kind of dread playing because you know it's mired in misery, and I anticipate TLOU2 to be the same. But most reviews likely skew their reviews of this game towards the technical execution, story and overall quality, which is a hallmark of Naughty Dog games... and so it's easy to see how it can get 10s across the board while not necessarily being a "fun" game that SkillUp or others will want to play.

One other thing... It's hard to really go with game streamers as impartial reviewers either. SkillUp's channel is what gets him paid, and if putting a contrarian review will get him views and ad revenue, then he's going to do it. I know some people who watched part of his review and were pissed, and they're like "I just had to turn it off after a few minutes"... but at that point, he's already gotten your extra view and the associated ad revenue, so mission accomplished.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8538 posts
2936 upvotes
There are some independent stores that break street date in the Toronto area if you pre-order or are a regular.
I have the Special Edition pre-ordered at Best Buy instead.

The big cities in North America often have independent stores that sell early because they think they cannot compete with the big companies.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2402 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
Raela wrote: Oh? they don't charge tax on PSN?
cause that saves 10$ in tax
No they haven't for years now.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1509 posts
313 upvotes
Does Shoppers ever get new releases like this on release date? Thinking about picking it up from SDM with the points redemption....
Jun 15, 2020
3 posts
4 upvotes
To those who preloaded, can we play midnight on Thursday or does it take a while?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8628 posts
3634 upvotes
Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote: Have stores broken street date or something? It's not out til Friday... and reviewers would've gotten digital copies of the game so reviewers in Toronto won't be able to sell this to you...

Really interesting discussion around the reviews, but arguing over something so subjective is moot. Reviewers are entirely at the mercy of publishers and developers, and pushing a score from 8 to 9 or 9 to 10 isn't really that big of a deal, nor is it that hard to do if it means preferential treatment for future game reviews. Plus giving a glowing review of an expectedly good game will likely get you clicks regardless, as long as your SEO puts you above the fold. Even Metacritic favours higher review scores, since the higher scores are highlighted above the lower scores...

TLOU was a great game, but not one without its flaws... It had moments of tedium, and frustrating gunplay (like Uncharted series). It's also one of those games you kind of dread playing because you know it's mired in misery, and I anticipate TLOU2 to be the same. But most reviews likely skew their reviews of this game towards the technical execution, story and overall quality, which is a hallmark of Naughty Dog games... and so it's easy to see how it can get 10s across the board while not necessarily being a "fun" game that SkillUp or others will want to play.

One other thing... It's hard to really go with game streamers as impartial reviewers either. SkillUp's channel is what gets him paid, and if putting a contrarian review will get him views and ad revenue, then he's going to do it. I know some people who watched part of his review and were pissed, and they're like "I just had to turn it off after a few minutes"... but at that point, he's already gotten your extra view and the associated ad revenue, so mission accomplished.
oh I dont know why but I thought the game was already out since the reviews
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2402 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
ManCaveGamer wrote: oh I dont know why but I thought the game was already out since the reviews
No they let early reviews come out, street date is this Friday. The early reviews can't reveal any details about the second half of the game, partially because it might ruin the story, partially because hackers released a few major plot points already, partially to hype the living crap out of it.
c'mon get happy!
Dec 22, 2007
316 posts
23 upvotes
Thornhill
I just pre-ordered it on PSN, weird tho when i preload.
It says the game is 79gb

but my PS4 only downloaded something that was only 19gb, was it the same for you?
zod wrote: I'm not sure what the download size was, but the install size is 77.53gb.

I love digital when it comes to videogames. I never bother to sell them, and I don't really collect the discs. I like having the games on the console and not dealing with discs. It makes it easy to switch between games or leave a movie in the drive and still play a game. Pre-orders are great because they download a week before the retail date, so they're ready to go at 9pm PST the day before release. It's interesting that i'm not all digital though. I still buy movies on bluray. I guess for videogames I got lazy. Plus there's no tax charged on the PSN store, and usually there's some kind of sale on PSN credit via some online coupon a few times a year (bought a bunch at 40% off with the boxing day toysrus double discount thing). I guess I assume that PSN wil keep selling their own games. I have much less faith in digital music, movie, and tv retailers. Rights seem to be able to change on a whim :(

I hope PS does what Microsoft did. I got an Xbox One X because my old ps3 died which we were using as the main optical media device in the living room. All my old xbox 360 digital games were available to play again. many enhanced for the one X. I know the ps3 is hard to emulate, but it would be cool if they pulled that off one day.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4393 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
Raela wrote: I just pre-ordered it on PSN, weird tho when i preload.
It says the game is 79gb

but my PS4 only downloaded something that was only 19gb, was it the same for you?
It's a preload... The rest of your game's assets will download when it releases publicly
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Dec 22, 2007
316 posts
23 upvotes
Thornhill
M1GOmigs wrote: It's a preload... The rest of your game's assets will download when it releases publicly
it's actually downloading now, the full 79gb
it stopped at 19 because i didn't have latest system updates.

thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9723 posts
1840 upvotes
Victoria
Raela wrote: Oh? they don't charge tax on PSN?
cause that saves 10$ in tax
As far as I know they don't, except for maybe in Quebec. I'm trying to remember why. Streaming services like Netflix are the same way. They aren't responsible for collecting pst/gst/hst. I think I read once that GST and most PST's were created before digital content, and ergo aren't specifically listed as something that should be taxed. I'm not sure how much truth that is. I do know they amended the PST law here in BC, so I think PSN/Netflix might have to start collecting PST in BC. Microsoft has been collecting both GST and PST on purchases, not sure why. Maybe it's because they have a Canadian presence, the loophole didn't apply to them?

Hypothetically if you do live in BC (or Quebec) there is fairly easy loophole. Change your address to somewhere in Alberta and fund your account with gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9723 posts
1840 upvotes
Victoria
Raela wrote: I just pre-ordered it on PSN, weird tho when i preload.
It says the game is 79gb

I don't think so. I went to it in the menu, and clicked on info. That's where it told me the size was 77.53gb.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2084 posts
575 upvotes
Maple
I have the special edition from EB games and best buy pre ordered. Any word on shipping time? Or have your orders shipped ?

Friday seems like a bad day for shipping time since you would have to wait all weekend if they can not hit the friday target.
Nov 28, 2011
845 posts
355 upvotes
Markham
malaujai wrote: Does Shoppers ever get new releases like this on release date? Thinking about picking it up from SDM with the points redemption....
I also want to know this
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8628 posts
3634 upvotes
Vancouver
malaujai wrote: Does Shoppers ever get new releases like this on release date? Thinking about picking it up from SDM with the points redemption....
Ya I don't think so... you usually have to wait a bit

I was waiting for FF7 remake but just bought it off kijiji for like $60