The Last of Us Part 2 - (June 19, 2020)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 4:58 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4382 posts
2963 upvotes
Toronto and London
ReeGee wrote: This thread gives me deja vu of the first game with tons of people who rarely post about games and play like 3 games a year suddenly jumping out the woodwork calling it "greatest game of all time" when in reality that game turned out to be some decent mid.
Gotta love this sort of gatekeeping.

Apparently posting about video games often directly correlates with the credence of our opinions?

Many of us complete games and choose not to engage in a pissing contest online.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9720 posts
1835 upvotes
Victoria
I finished it today. I liked the game. It was decent, but I didn't quite like it as much as the first one. The story was pretty good, but Naughty Dog does push their games to more and more story through cutscenes. As much as I loved uncharted 4, I liked the first 2 better, when it was a little more game, and a little less story. The videogame becoming a hybrid of videogame and netflix binge watch type thing.

I'd give it a 7/10 maybe 7.5. It never held my attention long enough that I played it for more than a few hours in a row. Usually the tell tale sign I'm into a game, is I mean to play it for a few hours, end up playing for 8 and think I only played for 20 minutes.

I don't get all the hate for this game. Even with my minor gripes it was pretty decent. Not that many AAA single player titles to play these days.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11903 posts
2099 upvotes
Mississauga
I finished the game this weekend. Absolutely loved it, probably the best game I've played in my 30 years or so of gaming. The story is so engrossing and powerful. It takes Confucius' famous quote "When you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves” and doubles down (triples down?) on it. The two main characters are on the same path, just at different points. The things they do can be frustrating or even downright wrong but such is their lot in the living hell that is their life. Unlike the vast majority of games, TLOU2 isn't "fun" in that its tone is relentlessly bleak, only occasionally punctuated by some humor (there is one darkly hilarious bit of dialogue when one character is crossing a very high and dangerous bridge). There are several metaphorical gut punches as the story reveals itself that are brilliant and devastating.

On the technical side, graphics and sound are top notch and are arguably the best in console history. There are some maps that really gave my surround sound system a workout with the rain and thunder effects.

For gameplay, I loved the scenes where there are humans and/or Infected all over the place and you can methodically hunt them all down. I got a particular joy in pitting the two sides against each other on a few occasions and watching the fireworks. Or alternatively, you can elude them and run, although I never did.

I personally don't get all the outrage from some corners of the internet. Just the inane ramblings of trolls. The fact that these people are sending death threats and online abuse to the people involved with the game is disturbing and sadder than anything in the game itself.