• Feb 25th, 2021 10:25 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12030 posts
6914 upvotes
Markham

Lastpass users? Changes to 1 device unless you pay for premium

Below is Cut and paste from my email. If you have it on both PC and phone...suggest you delete it on the one you're NOT going to use before March 16 as they're not letting you choose. Whatever you access first is considered your selection.

=============================

What's changing in LastPass Free?

Beginning March 16, 2021, LastPass Free will include access on one device type of your choice. The first device you login with on or after March 16 will set your active device type.

If you choose computer as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all computers in your life:

ALL Computer Devices
ALL desktop computers
ALL laptop computers

If you choose mobile as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all mobile devices in your life:

ALL Mobile Devices
ALL mobile phones
ALL tablets
ALL smartwatches

We're making some changes to LastPass Free
We love being a part of the security routines of more than 20 million users across the world. As our community continues to grow, we need to adapt our offerings to keep up with the constantly evolving digital world.

Beginning March 16, 2021, we will be introducing some changes to our LastPass Free experience, including how many device types free users will be able to use LastPass on (more details below).

Leading up to these changes, you can upgrade to Premium at a limited-time discounted rate of $2.25 per month, billed annually ($36 $27 /year).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
61 replies
Nov 9, 2005
836 posts
225 upvotes
Thanks for this, looks like I need to get bitwarden setup..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12030 posts
6914 upvotes
Markham
Cybersid wrote: Thanks for this, looks like I need to get bitwarden setup..
Only problem with changing is there's nothing to say other's like Bitwarden won't follow this "lead".

I've never even looked at alternatives as LastPass was very good and I had no reason to look. Now that they've made this change, it's not so attractive anymore (at least to me).
Evernote also made changes to their "free" product and it looks like this is the way more and more products are going. ie no pay, not very functional.
These guys really should just runs banner ads instead IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 9, 2005
836 posts
225 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Only problem with changing is there's nothing to say other's like Bitwarden won't follow this "lead".

I've never even looked at alternatives as LastPass was very good and I had no reason to look. Now that they've made this change, it's not so attractive anymore (at least to me).
Evernote also made changes to their "free" product and it looks like this is the way more and more products are going. ie no pay, not very functional.
These guys really should just runs banner ads instead IMO.
Yeah the subscription model is a cash cow for companies like Lastpass etc.

Maybe something like syspass (linux+webui) would do the job, unfortunately no autofill on browsers (that I know of)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6465 posts
2177 upvotes
Vancouver
I guess some can just setup 2 accounts. I use keypass on my phone as I just need a simple app holding on to all my info off-line and then last pass on PCs.
Oct 12, 2005
269 posts
68 upvotes
Markham, ON
Quick tip for those who are switching from LastPass to Bitwarden.

In LastPass, you can export your info by going to Advanced Options, Export. Enter your master password, and then save the CSV file somewhere on you computer. You can then use the same CSV file and import it into your Bitwarden account.

In Bitwarden, go to Tools, Import Data, choose the format of the import file, in this case, LastPass (csv), click Choose File and then click Import Data.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2213 posts
1347 upvotes
North Vancouver
dazz wrote: I guess some can just setup 2 accounts. I use keypass on my phone as I just need a simple app holding on to all my info off-line and then last pass on PCs.
That's going to be my work around as well, thanks for mentioning this.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1014 posts
290 upvotes
Nova Scotia
LastPass is great but not surprised to see them change the free version. Once LogMein bought them in 2015 I knew it eventually change. I pay the price per year cause I use it extensively in my job (IT). A few years back Logmein changed their entire pricing structure and are now crazy expensive. Switched to Splashtop and never looked back. Hopefully they don't start increasing the Premium sub price...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1246 posts
927 upvotes
Montreal
I didn't get this email.

So If I use it on my phone and login after March 16th on my laptop, I won't be able to login because I need Premium to do so ?

EDIT
Just reread and switch to Bitwarden to try it out for a couple of week. Importing from LastPass was smooooth.
Last edited by elpaso on Feb 16th, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3692 posts
1963 upvotes
GTA
Just switched to bitwarden cause of this. Did the $10 year premium version.

So far so good. Import from LastPass was smooth
May 31, 2008
83 posts
66 upvotes
I'm looking at switching to Bitwarden because of this too. What does the $10 a year give over the free one?

The extra features listed on the website are a little confusing.
I basically have a home computer, tablet, phone and Chromebook. Will the free one cover all these?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1246 posts
927 upvotes
Montreal
devilsadvocate wrote: I'm looking at switching to Bitwarden because of this too. What does the $10 a year give over the free one?

I basically have a home computer, tablet, phone and Chromebook. Will the free one cover all these?
Yes it will
Nov 28, 2019
456 posts
196 upvotes
devilsadvocate wrote: I'm looking at switching to Bitwarden because of this too. What does the $10 a year give over the free one?

Basically the free version will do what the lastpass free version will do. If you want stuff like file attachments and emergency access (ie if you get hit by a bus you can set it so that after X amount of time, someone who you designated can access you vault and your password) then you need to pay $10 a year.

I switched over back in December as I knew I wanted emergency access mode and I heard the bitwarden team was working on it so that is why I switched from Lastpass to bitwarden. Lastpass does have this but feature buy your paying alot more for it.

I am happy I switched as I would be switch right now with the latest change. Bitwarden is pretty good, I miss some minor things from Lastpass though but nothing that is worth $3/month
Oct 31, 2007
3465 posts
525 upvotes
Just transitioned to Bitwarden which was super easy with the import. I did like LastPass but Bitwarden free seems be pretty equivalent. I am sure Bitwarden will eventually ditch their free model but hey LastPass took longer than expected so might as well ride it while we can. I am not 100% sure what the TOTP feature in premium does? Really the only draw for me for premium is the health reports, might be worth $10 a year, anyone with premium think it’s worth it?
Aug 20, 2009
8159 posts
3096 upvotes
Grimsby
You can self host Bitwarden instead of using the paid version, I run it in a docker on my NAS. I don't think it will go forced paid any time soon, it's an open source project and would likely be forked anyway if that happened.
Nov 9, 2005
836 posts
225 upvotes
Redmask wrote: You can self host Bitwarden instead of using the paid version, I run it in a docker on my NAS. I don't think it will go forced paid any time soon, it's an open source project and would likely be forked anyway if that happened.
Does it have a plugin (firefox/chrome) that autofills if self hosted?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4612 posts
1925 upvotes
GTA
nufan wrote: Just transitioned to Bitwarden which was super easy with the import. I did like LastPass but Bitwarden free seems be pretty equivalent. I am sure Bitwarden will eventually ditch their free model but hey LastPass took longer than expected so might as well ride it while we can. I am not 100% sure what the TOTP feature in premium does? Really the only draw for me for premium is the health reports, might be worth $10 a year, anyone with premium think it’s worth it?
TOTP feature is just to have the 2FA codes in BitWarden. Personally, I prefer to have a separate app for that anyway.

I use premium because I like to use a hardware 2FA key but that's about it. Plus, chipping in the $10 USD/year isn't bad at all for a good service.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4612 posts
1925 upvotes
GTA
jimbob12341 wrote: Basically the free version will do what the lastpass free version will do. If you want stuff like file attachments and emergency access (ie if you get hit by a bus you can set it so that after X amount of time, someone who you designated can access you vault and your password) then you need to pay $10 a year.

I switched over back in December as I knew I wanted emergency access mode and I heard the bitwarden team was working on it so that is why I switched from Lastpass to bitwarden. Lastpass does have this but feature buy your paying alot more for it.

I am happy I switched as I would be switch right now with the latest change. Bitwarden is pretty good, I miss some minor things from Lastpass though but nothing that is worth $3/month
Thanks for reminding me about the emergency access feature. I forgot they released it fairly recently.

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/emergency-access/
Aug 20, 2009
8159 posts
3096 upvotes
Grimsby
Cybersid wrote: Does it have a plugin (firefox/chrome) that autofills if self hosted?
Yes it has them for all of the browsers and apps for mobile devices. Works with self hosted Bitwarden too. If you host yourself then make sure you have backups.

Switched from Lastpass over a year ago and never looked back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

fbrm