• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2018 9:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2004
273 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga

Late arrival at LAX and car rental

My family will be travelling next month and arriving at LAX around 9:30pm. Giving time to pick up luggage and all, it'll be another 1-2 hrs since there will be 8 of us. We will be staying with relatives there but given there are many of us, it's best that we rent a minivan for transportation.

Just wondering if anyone has experience/recommendation for car rental companies at LAX.

Thanks in advance.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
I usually stick with Avis / Hertz, stay away for the "Pay-less"
May 7, 2017
347 posts
163 upvotes
Last time I rented Alamo despite the negative reviews, I really had no issue I even dinged the orange mustang and they didn’t care.

Why I choose Alamo you literally go in self kiosk, go outside and pick a car get in and cheers
[OP]
Dec 26, 2004
273 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Did you book in advance or upon arrival?

If in advance, which website would give lowest rate or are they all the same?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8467 posts
1241 upvotes
Renting a car at LAX is pretty straight forward. They're a big airport with lots of cars and lots of turnover. Book one of the big/reputable companies for a minivan and you should be good to go.

I usually book via Costco travel now as I find the pricing pretty competitive.
Nov 15, 2006
29 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to tag along your topic.

Other than rent a car, are the buses convenient? That's say I'm staying downtown LA. ( I do know, there are shuttle bus take people to Disneyland )

Thanks, and sorry to tag along your thread ...
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
Buses are NOT convenient in LA. Why are you staying downtown?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4704 posts
4235 upvotes
LAX car rentals are all off-airport, you take a shuttle from the terminal. And as far as I know all big name rental agencies at LAX run 24/7 (for obvious reasons - I don't think LAX has a curfew given all the transpacific traffic it gets). I've landed there about the same time as you (9pm) and there we no issues getting the car.

I'd say make sure you have a good map app or standalone GPS unit or a reliable navigator to hold the paper map. Getting from the car rental garage to the freeway you want, especially in the dark, isn't easy if you aren't familiar with the area. Just realize that suction cup windshield mounts (for GPS, phones, dashcams, etc) are illegal in California.

I posted this in another thread -- in California, the rental agency will put a hold on your credit card of $350 US or the total cost of the rental, whichever is higher. You'll see that somewhere in the fine print whether you book with Costco Travel or directly from the rental company... but in case you missed it/didn't read it, I'll warn you now. Also watch out for toll roads and toll lanes as, like the rental places do here with 407, you can get dinged with a surprise bill.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2004
273 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: LAX car rentals are all off-airport, you take a shuttle from the terminal. And as far as I know all big name rental agencies at LAX run 24/7 (for obvious reasons - I don't think LAX has a curfew given all the transpacific traffic it gets). I've landed there about the same time as you (9pm) and there we no issues getting the car.

I'd say make sure you have a good map app or standalone GPS unit or a reliable navigator to hold the paper map. Getting from the car rental garage to the freeway you want, especially in the dark, isn't easy if you aren't familiar with the area. Just realize that suction cup windshield mounts (for GPS, phones, dashcams, etc) are illegal in California.

I posted this in another thread -- in California, the rental agency will put a hold on your credit card of $350 US or the total cost of the rental, whichever is higher. You'll see that somewhere in the fine print whether you book with Costco Travel or directly from the rental company... but in case you missed it/didn't read it, I'll warn you now. Also watch out for toll roads and toll lanes as, like the rental places do here with 407, you can get dinged with a surprise bill.
Did you use a map app or standalone GPS? I don't think we have anyone reliable enough to hold the paper map...lol!!!

Thanks for the warning about suction cup
May 7, 2017
347 posts
163 upvotes
I booked direct from Alamo and was a member as u get better discount I made 6 different reservations as date closer got closer and I just canceled
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2567 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
My sister moved to LA a few years ago so I've been there quite a few times over the past couple of years.

I really like Silvercars- their entire fleet is Audi. I know when I was there in November they were telling me they were adding Q5 and Q7 to their fleet. Having scored some great deals with their promo codes it's worth checking out considering rental comes with free onboard wifi and nav.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8768 posts
3213 upvotes
Toronto
For 8 people you need to rent a van that can hold 8. You'd need to do searches or even call to find out who has that. Else you'll need to rent 2 cars.

For that you should book ahead. If you don't book, which rental agencies will you go to line up and ask?

As for the price, they go up and down. You should book, and continue to check the prices and book again if you see the price goes down, and cancel the old booking.

We always bring our GPS, and bring a pieces of double sided sticky rubber. Use one side to stick onto the car's dashboard, and the other side for the GPS
[OP]
Dec 26, 2004
273 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
BrunetteGirl wrote: My sister moved to LA a few years ago so I've been there quite a few times over the past couple of years.

I really like Silvercars- their entire fleet is Audi. I know when I was there in November they were telling me they were adding Q5 and Q7 to their fleet. Having scored some great deals with their promo codes it's worth checking out considering rental comes with free onboard wifi and nav.
We don't need anything fancy but I'll definitely keep this in mind if the price is decent. Thanks for the suggestion.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3223 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
King of Car Rentals

Yes, I know - cheesy name and cheesy website, but the guy will give you the absolutely best deal. I've mentioned him in other threads, and we just had another great experience with National through him on a trip to Arizona, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

He deals exclusively with National, which is neat, because you get to choose the car you want from the Emerald Aisle. We used him for the first time this summer on a trip to California and it was way cheaper than anything else. We've been travelling and renting cars for many years, using a variety of rental firms and third party booking sites, but he will be our go-to guy in the future.

You can contact him for a free quote, and if you want him to go ahead with the booking, he charges a small fee. I had a bit of an issue because I was trying to get instantly upgraded to Executive status through my credit card. He was constantly in touch with me throughout and dealt directly with National on my behalf to sort it out. This kind of personalized service you just don't find anymore.

He can also get good quotes from other companies (he's quoted us Enterprise for example), in case National doesn't have the minivan you're looking for or they happen to be expensive for the minivan rental.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4704 posts
4235 upvotes
I wanted to make sure I wasn't misinforming the OP about where to mount a GPS (or mobile phone). For awhile CA prohibited suction cup mounts no matter what (that's why Garmin, Magellan et al sold dashboard mounts as well as the standard windshield mounts) but that appears to have been changed.

https://www.rammount.com/blog/2017/01/c ... -free-law/

So if you're using a suction cup mount you're limited to the bottom corners of the windshield (so no centre mounts or high on the driver side). If you're using a dashboard mount, anywhere is fine.

My apologies for giving incorrect info earlier.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2736 posts
316 upvotes
oratihsus wrote: My family will be travelling next month and arriving at LAX around 9:30pm. Giving time to pick up luggage and all, it'll be another 1-2 hrs since there will be 8 of us. We will be staying with relatives there but given there are many of us, it's best that we rent a minivan for transportation.

Just wondering if anyone has experience/recommendation for car rental companies at LAX.

Thanks in advance.
Look at the reviews and horror stories of all the rental companies at LAX. Hertz, Avis, etc are all really badly rated. The wait is not worth the money saved in my opinion.
I used Enterprise and it took me 2 minutes to get the car. No line at all.
Last edited by navyseals on Jan 13th, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Stay away from Avis. Was just there during the holidays with a party of 7. Also arrived at LAX around 9:30pm. They only had 2 people on staff. Didn't get our car until 12am.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1784 posts
290 upvotes
I had a bad experience with Budget at LAX. We arrived on an evening flight and it was pretty quick to get our luggage. LAX is really busy though and the traffic was brutal so it took about 30 or so minutes on the bus to get to Budget. For some reason they didn't have my reservation under Fastbreak so I had to wait in line which was around 90 minutes. It was an awful experience. If my reservation had been properly assigned as Fastbreak we could have been in and out without any issues.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4704 posts
4235 upvotes
LAX being such a busy airport, those rental agencies will all be busy pretty much 24/7 and they are efficient. In my numerous trips through there (always renting a car) never had any issues. This doesn't mean I'm giving them all glowing recommendations, just that every time I've rented out of LAX (and I have used all of Avis, National, Budget, and Hertz) I was never disappointed. I was always on my way within a reasonable time with no surprise charges tacked on (and often a free upgrade of a level or 2 depending on availability). And the agencies are all consistently good about putting more staff out at the check-in desks when the place gets busy. I had never gone into an LAX rental agency and found myself in a long lineup with just 1 or 2 agents working the desk. Same with returning the car...it won't be more than 5 minutes from when you park the car to when you're dragging luggage to the bus stop.