Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7679 posts
2047 upvotes
multi city dweller
John47 wrote: Thanks for sharing, guys!

I have an issue I realized today :
- I have a TD credit card that I maxed out by doing a BT to another card;
- I noticed today that a one-time annual subscription purchase went through on that card;
- I wasn't expecting this at all, I didn't remember that I subscrived to this service and that I had registered this TD card.

Given that I now have a purchase on the card, does this jeopardize my promotional interest rate for the rest of my balance?
When I call in, can I expect csr to allow me to pay off the purchase and keep intact the BT promotional rate on the rest of the balance?
I think the only possible way out of this is to somehow "reverse" the new charge. But I highly doubt it will work though because the way refund is treated as a payment to your account.

All payment will be used to pay down the principal with the least interest charge, ie., the bt amount, after all interest have been paid in full... so the new charge will remain in your account accumulating the regular purchase interest rate.
Aug 5, 2007
807 posts
248 upvotes
Got another CIBC BT offer: 0%/1%/10 until April 2021. But still paying off the last promo that's ending in December. Am I allowed to stack these on the single card that gets referenced in the offer? Or could I get a new card and use the offer on that?
May 21, 2008
93 posts
30 upvotes
Surrey
John47 wrote: Thanks for sharing, guys!

I have an issue I realized today :
- I have a TD credit card that I maxed out by doing a BT to another card;
- I noticed today that a one-time annual subscription purchase went through on that card;
- I wasn't expecting this at all, I didn't remember that I subscrived to this service and that I had registered this TD card.

Given that I now have a purchase on the card, does this jeopardize my promotional interest rate for the rest of my balance?
When I call in, can I expect csr to allow me to pay off the purchase and keep intact the BT promotional rate on the rest of the balance?
We have probably all done something similar. Unless your charge is for a large amount, just don't worry.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13455 posts
10866 upvotes
Leask
mrelusive wrote: Got another CIBC BT offer: 0%/1%/10 until April 2021. But still paying off the last promo that's ending in December. Am I allowed to stack these on the single card that gets referenced in the offer? Or could I get a new card and use the offer on that?
If you wish to jump on the new offer, you'd have to pay off current balance first to avoid any interest past December. You won't be able to move the new offer onto another card, either.

My recommendation is to hit up MBNA or PCF. BT your current balance with CIBC, then BT again on CIBC (if it's worth it for you).
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1460 posts
476 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
alanbrenton wrote: Usually the banks have a rule about prorating payments. Give TD a call to see what they can do about it.

Reversing the charge is best especially if you have enough time on the billing cycle. Talk to magazine to reverse the charge first.

Your promotional BT rate won't be affected but worst case, you will pay the max interest on that subscription, which should still be a pittance.
LOL808 wrote: I think the only possible way out of this is to somehow "reverse" the new charge. But I highly doubt it will work though because the way refund is treated as a payment to your account.

All payment will be used to pay down the principal with the least interest charge, ie., the bt amount, after all interest have been paid in full... so the new charge will remain in your account accumulating the regular purchase interest rate.
BCNeil wrote: We have probably all done something similar. Unless your charge is for a large amount, just don't worry.
Thanks guy, appreciate it!
It's only a $15 purchase, so I'll leave it as is, and should be charged the regular interest rate on it, which will come to $3 basically over the course of the year.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1460 posts
476 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
mrelusive wrote: Got another CIBC BT offer: 0%/1%/10 until April 2021. But still paying off the last promo that's ending in December. Am I allowed to stack these on the single card that gets referenced in the offer? Or could I get a new card and use the offer on that?
Nice offer --- how did you get it?
Aug 5, 2007
807 posts
248 upvotes
John47 wrote: Nice offer --- how did you get it?
Like my last promo this was a physical mail offer, did not see this in my account online. Both of these were targeted to my Aerogold Infinite card.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1460 posts
476 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
John47 wrote: Thanks guy, appreciate it!
It's only a $15 purchase, so I'll leave it as is, and should be charged the regular interest rate on it, which will come to $3 basically over the course of the year.
As an update, TD csr said I can't pay off the charge specifically and the promotional BT interest rate remains unchanged.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18957 upvotes
John47 wrote: As an update, TD csr said I can't pay off the charge specifically and the promotional BT interest rate remains unchanged.
Good thing it wasn't a $10k subscription to a nightclub. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1460 posts
476 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
alanbrenton wrote: Good thing it wasn't a $10k subscription to a nightclub. :)
Haha yeah!
Aug 9, 2017
194 posts
732 upvotes
GTA
Got a similar offer from them, but its a 2% fee for 10 months. I was wondering if its possible to convert my credit limit from my cibc line of credit to my cibc credit card (increase limit on credit card, lower limit on my line of credit) so I'm able to make a larger balance transfer?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13455 posts
10866 upvotes
Leask
ashven288 wrote: Got a similar offer from them, but its a 2% fee for 10 months. I was wondering if its possible to convert my credit limit from my cibc line of credit to my cibc credit card (increase limit on credit card, lower limit on my line of credit) so I'm able to make a larger balance transfer?
sadly it's not possible at CIBC...only BNS does it.
No solicitation in sigs
Feb 2, 2007
822 posts
683 upvotes
GTA
mrelusive wrote: Got another CIBC BT offer: 0%/1%/10 until April 2021.
Same offer here, through snail mail.

It mentioned a # to call to get convenience cheques, but before calling I checked my account on the website and the offer was there too, with the added feature of asking for the convenience cheques by a clicking on a box + button.
May 20, 2017
694 posts
548 upvotes
ON
EddySaver wrote: Looks like the 0%/10 months/1% Fee/FYF is back on the CIBC Select Visa (50% of CL): https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html

This balance transfer offer is only available at the time of your online application‡. Simply tick the checkbox to select the balance transfer option when you’re filling out your application
I assume we can balance transfer to another bank's chequing account?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11858 posts
10788 upvotes
Elec2016 wrote: I assume we can balance transfer to another bank's chequing account?
No. CIBC does not allow BT to bank account.
Correct me if I am wrong, only MBNA allows BT to bank account.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!