• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 2:50 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 11, 2005
858 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
CalgaryBen wrote: For me, if there was an offer for the month, it would appear like clockwork starting from the 2nd of the month when I woke up and logged into the CIBC app or website.  It would then be available to be accepted until the end of that month.
  • Dec 2 - None

Historically, right around billing cycle 8/9 (i.e. "now"), I'd be getting pretty good BT offers showing up, but they seem to have dried up. Guess I'll see if anything shows up in month 10 (Jan 2)!
Update -- to my delight, a 0%/10m/1% fee offer has appeared in my CIBC Visa account (12/09, although it may have been 12/08 but I didn't log in to check)! It's appearing later in the month than I'm accustomed to.

Last time, it took 1 business day for an agent-assisted transfer to my CIBC chequing account (which would be the main reason I'd consider keeping the account, which I opened for a cash WB). This time I'll try having them transfer to a Simplii chequing account, to see how well that works. If it's near/equal, then maybe I should just close the CIBC chequing account to reduce redundancy. More to come... I'll report back once everything's done. It'll take a few days as I juggle and move things around, pay off the current BT, etc.
Aug 9, 2017
204 posts
742 upvotes
GTA
CalgaryBen wrote:
Last time, it took 1 business day for an agent-assisted transfer to my CIBC chequing account (which would be the main reason I'd consider keeping the account, which I opened for a cash WB). This time I'll try having them transfer to a Simplii chequing account, to see how well that works. If it's near/equal, then maybe I should just close the CIBC chequing account to reduce redundancy. More to come... I'll report back once everything's done. It'll take a few days as I juggle and move things around, pay off the current BT, etc.
I did a CIBC BT earlier this year to my simplii checking and the funds were in my account within 24hrs.
Oct 11, 2005
858 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
ashven288 wrote: I did a CIBC BT earlier this year to my simplii checking and the funds were in my account within 24hrs.
Thanks! Same experience here. Agent-assisted BT was initiated yesterday around noon, and funds were already in my Simplii chequing account when I checked this morning at 5:30am (shows up as EFT CREDIT TRANSFER FROM CIBC CREDIT CARD), despite agent saying 2-4 business days.

Had to provide transit and account numbers (whereas with my CIBC chequing account they could see the info), but otherwise comparable for BT either way.
Oct 11, 2005
858 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
embguy wrote: You want to get the BT fund in your account as close to your next billing date. If your billing date is on the 10th of each month, you want BT fund in your account by the 9th latest.
By doing so, your first payment will be the BT fee + interest charge for a few days between the date you received fund and the end of billing period.
Pay your next statement as soon as your next statement is showing online to stop interest from accumulating.
Oops! I forgot about this strategy/timing. My billing cycle actually is the 10th of each month, and I did the BT on the 16th, so I'm exposing myself to a fair bit of interest on the fee (25 days or so). But since the offer expires 12/31, and with reduced business days due to holidays this month, I guess it would've been hard to navigate this much better (unless I could've been guaranteed another 0%/10m/1%fee offer in January early). If my offer had shown up on the 2nd of the month like it normally has historically, I might've been able to squeeze the BT in on the 8th or so... but my offer showed up on Dec 8/9... I think CIBC got smart!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: Oops! I forgot about this strategy/timing. My billing cycle actually is the 10th of each month, and I did the BT on the 16th, so I'm exposing myself to a fair bit of interest on the fee (25 days or so). But since the offer expires 12/31, and with reduced business days due to holidays this month, I guess it would've been hard to navigate this much better (unless I could've been guaranteed another 0%/10m/1%fee offer in January early). If my offer had shown up on the 2nd of the month like it normally has historically, I might've been able to squeeze the BT in on the 8th or so... but my offer showed up on Dec 8/9... I think CIBC got smart!
It is only a few dollars for the 1% fee.

Next time ask CSR to move the billing date a week ahead of your BT date.
I cannot remember which bank did that for me - MBNA or CIBC.
But always ask while you are on the phone doing BT.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Apr 26, 2017
28 posts
18 upvotes
0.00%/10 months/3% fee offer appeared on my existing TD CC. P2 got a 0.99%/12 months/3% fee.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13939 posts
11566 upvotes
Leask
User258441 wrote: 0.00%/10 months/3% fee offer appeared on my existing TD CC. P2 got a 0.99%/12 months/3% fee.
Pretty typical for TD CT. OMG I miss their mediocre offers :lol:
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1498 posts
829 upvotes
Got one for rogera plat
4% and 2 $ down
I got two ploc with lower rates than that
Jan 28, 2019
290 posts
153 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: It's no surprise. Your first MBNA card today should be Amazon MC, Best Western, or the Alaska cards for churning. Heck, even the Rewards basic or WE with GCR bonus. Just churn your way up. They're pretty strict about the six months rule in general.

A thick history with MBNA will definitely reward you generously for big ballers CL's for BT's. Until then, they throw you in kindergarten, with all the other rookies. TD/MBNA knows they're being heavily utilized under the MBNA banner for BT's (because they told us that's what MBNA is good for and many of us listened), so they are making it happen within their risk tolerance (which is obviously lower across the board given the pandemic). That said, thank you for the DP on the $3.5k CL, but I wouldn't keep my hopes too high on CLI's these days.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I get approved for one next month from CTFS (nearly maxed out my CL on Cash Advantage three times in the Sept-Oct cycle at $8.5k CL).

Sorry for the disappointment but ya we're all itching for the pandemic to be over.
if I apply for the Amazon credit card, will that result in a credit pull of transunion or equifqax?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13939 posts
11566 upvotes
Leask
Sternchen30890 wrote: if I apply for the Amazon credit card, will that result in a credit pull of transunion or equifqax?
Probably TU.
No solicitation in sigs
Feb 17, 2015
941 posts
348 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Sternchen30890 wrote: if I apply for the Amazon credit card, will that result in a credit pull of transunion or equifqax?
MBNA always pulls TU at least for me also they will deny for excessive inquires in the past 6 months it is suggested to not have a single one in the last 6 months on Transunion before applying
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13939 posts
11566 upvotes
Leask
Got a $6k CLI via pre-approval from CIBC. Took it.
No solicitation in sigs
Aug 5, 2007
834 posts
276 upvotes
Has there been any DPs of people getting a BT from TD with a fee lower than 3%? Have only seen the interest rate being variable so far.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
2074 posts
1194 upvotes
mrelusive wrote: Has there been any DPs of people getting a BT from TD with a fee lower than 3%? Have only seen the interest rate being variable so far.
I have a 0%/10m/2% offer from TD at the moment.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4409 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
For the 3rd month in a row, received a 0%/10month/1% fee, BT offer in the mail from CIBC.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
1770 posts
2487 upvotes
Toronto
bubak wrote: I have a 0%/10m/2% offer from TD at the moment.
Same here!
Oct 11, 2009
398 posts
741 upvotes
BC
ROYinTO wrote: For the 3rd month in a row, received a 0%/10month/1% fee, BT offer in the mail from CIBC.
Same here.
May 21, 2008
104 posts
42 upvotes
Surrey
Got my 0%/10m/1% from CIBC, third month in a row, only have $10 eligible to transfer right now.

Got 0%/12m/3% from TD. First ever offer from them n a card I have used maybe twice in the last 12 months.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
BCNeil wrote: Got my 0%/10m/1% from CIBC, third month in a row, only have $10 eligible to transfer right now.

Got 0%/12m/3% from TD. First ever offer from them n a card I have used maybe twice in the last 12 months.
TD knows that they are not making any money if you are not using your credit card.

If you do BT paying 3% fee, TD is making more money than by charging transaction fee paid by the merchant when you are using your TD CC.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
1770 posts
2487 upvotes
Toronto
Like clockwork I got another CIBC BT offer. 0%, 10M, 1% BT fee. It's always happened around this time of the month for me - the letter comes in my mailbox, then magically the prompt on online banking comes the next day.