• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 8:41 am
[OP]
Jun 3, 2007
723 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto

Latex Foam Mattress

I am looking to buy a Queen size foam mattress and from reading some information latex seems to be the best choice. Would anyone have any suggestions on a decent price latex foam mattress?

Thank you
20 replies
Mar 17, 2015
576 posts
961 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Make sure you review the materials of composition listing--many companies try to call their mattress' latex simply because one layer is comprised of latex.

We purchased a 100% pure latex mattress from Sleepers Mattress for about $1800, IIRC, approximately 4 years ago. Still in excellent shape & we expect to have in 20+ years. Variety of densities/firmnesses (we chose a mattress that had one side slightly firmer than the other so, yes, flippable). Great for heavy people or those with a bad back (me). Ours has a 25-year warranty but the bed frame must meet certain support criteria (we custom-made our own using ideas from www.instructables.com) but one can find lower-priced (but quality), properly supporting frame online. 100% pure is very heavy so don't cheat or sagging will void the warranty.

ps, My spouse was skeptical initially but wouldn't look back at a non-latex now. Previously we were replacing a mattress every 5-ish years.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1986 posts
1777 upvotes
Ottawa
Read up on the different materials and specifications at The Mattress Underground. There are noticeable differences between dunlop and talalay latex.

Mattress Underground recommends a couple of Canadian manufacturers:

Dormio Organic Beds in the GTA

Memory Foam Comfort, who's online only. His foam factory is in BC, and he lives in Gatineau. We ordered a bed frame and a memory foam topper from him and they're superb quality. His prices are great, but it's because it's all direct from factory; he doesn't have a showroom, and doesn't offer satisfaction guarantee type returns (returns if the product arrives damaged, and there is a warranty). This allows him to have lower prices, but it means you better know what you want.

The Mattress and Sleep Country in Calgary and Edmonton.

There are also a few US manufacturers that ship to Canada.

When we were mattress shopping, we toured Obasan and they were also great. They're full configurable. The most expensive option allows customization of 6 comfort zones (3 per side) on a king or queen, allowing different comfort levels for each sleeper, but you're looking at a $4k+ mattress for their cheapest 9" option ($6k+ for their most configurable 12" option).

Essentia in the GTA might come up in your searches, but from my past research they aren't very transparent about their materials.

Generally, look for local, small companies that make their own mattresses and are transparent with material specifications. I grew up in Saskatoon, and Sleepers mentioned by @Wheatboy is where I'd shop if I were in Saskatoon. We ended up buying a pocket coil from Matelas Dauphin in Gatineau. We also shopped at Matelas Lapensée. Both offer pocket coils with latex comfort layers, but I don't think they've made it to the GTA.

If you're looking for a frame that will support a latex mattress, we paid ~$1100, tax and delivery included, for a solid wood made in Quebec (by Triomphe Bed and Futon in Sherbrooke) slatted queen frame through Memory Foam Comfort. It was custom made (the manufacturer actually asked for our mattress height so they could customize the height of the headboard) and shipped directly from the manufacturer. Dormio also sells their frames under the heading "Dormio Platform Beds". We also saw them carried at Matelas Dauphin. Memory Foam Comfort's price on it was by far the cheapest, though. If you purchase a slatted frame made by Triomphe, make sure you ask for a 2nd set of slats, which only added ~$60 when we purchased late 2019 (might be higher now). The default slat spacing is a bit too wide for many mattress manufacturers' sag warranties.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
4838 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Bumping this as I have the same question as the OP. Looking for a King, Queen and single mattresses. There was a guy who sold seconds and factory reject mattresses in Etobicoke many years ago, though I cant seem to find him now.

Does anyone have any info to share for mattress deals in the GTA? 1 of the mattresses I'm buying is for someone with severe back issues so any info on high quality mattresses, suggestions (we will be discussing with a physiotherapist a well), or mattress stores in GTA would also be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Heatware PEPSI IPOD MINI WINNER (JUNE 2005)
[OP]
Jun 3, 2007
723 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the responses to this thread, for some reason I did not receive notification that you had replied so I didn't see until I happened to pass by this page today.

I still have not purchased a mattress but will look into the links provided now that I have found this page again.

I have been a side sleeper for most of my life but after a shoulder injury last year it is no longer comfortable. I am going to try to sleep on my back which is not easy to start doing after so many years. I am hoping with the adjustable remote control bed frame if I can elevate my upper body it will be easier to sleep. I have seen that the frames are about a $1000 or so and very heavy but it is something I want to try.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1371 posts
166 upvotes
Markham
Another option that is more cost friendly is to make your own hybrid mattress . After research I purchased 2 2" latex foam layers from Sleep on Latex through Amazon.ca (one in firm and one medium).Prices have rocketed since I last saw but i believe you can get something similar from Natures Embrace Latex or Memory Foam Comfort in Canada. I layered these two latex foam on top of a basic spring mattress from IKEA the HAUGESUND model. Finally I wrapped this up with a waterproof mattress protector and a deep pocketed matttress fitted sheet from Wamsutta I got from bed bath and beyond.

This ended up being more economical than a full Latex mattress and offers several advantages. I can rotate the foam layers every year or so for spreading out the wear of sleeping on one side and if the bed ever sags due to the spring base I can replace it easily with another spring mattress with minimal cushioning.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1982 posts
1084 upvotes
Kyle_87 wrote: Another option that is more cost friendly is to make your own hybrid mattress . After research I purchased 2 2" latex foam layers from Sleep on Latex through Amazon.ca (one in firm and one medium).Prices have rocketed since I last saw but i believe you can get something similar from Natures Embrace Latex or Memory Foam Comfort in Canada. I layered these two latex foam on top of a basic spring mattress from IKEA the HAUGESUND model. Finally I wrapped this up with a waterproof mattress protector and a deep pocketed matttress fitted sheet from Wamsutta I got from bed bath and beyond.

This ended up being more economical than a full Latex mattress and offers several advantages. I can rotate the foam layers every year or so for spreading out the wear of sleeping on one side and if the bed ever sags due to the spring base I can replace it easily with another spring mattress with minimal cushioning.
I was thinking about doing this until I saw how much a King topper would cost me. Maybe Ill just need to swallow the cost.

What Im also unsure about is how does it look like with the sheets on? My mattress is already 11in and I may have to buy deeper sheets if I put another 2 in in it. Have a picture of your mattress with the topper?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1371 posts
166 upvotes
Markham
Here's a photo of the mattress. You can see the top layer of two latex foams and the base which is coil spring mattress. The layers may not line up perfectly as you can see but for purpose of sleeping on its fine. Yes it ended up being pretty tall at 14 inch so I needed to pickup two new deep pocketed fitted sheets from bed bath and beyond to rotate between washes . Wamsutta® 525-Thread-Count PimaCott® Wrinkle Resistant Queen Fitted Sheet in White cost me around 32 plus tax each.

Price Breakdown

Queen haugsund firm -300 around 339 after tax
Sleep on latex Queen latex layers - 2 inch medium and 2 inch soft - 468 after tax and import from US fees.

Total mattess setup was around 870 all in for a Queen size.

Love the setup and would do it again for a King if we ever move out of a condo.
Images
  • 20210708_151718.jpg
  • 20210708_152425.jpg
Last edited by Kyle_87 on Jul 8th, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 15, 2017
504 posts
553 upvotes
^ that is what i would do given the choice today. I got a full king latex from memory foam comfort in the spring for about 1850 delivered which consists of the 6" firm base, 2" medium and 2" soft layer in a zippered cover. I think you could get mostly the same comfort with the ikea mattress and a 3" or 2x2" toppers and it would be loads easier to move. We recently moved our latex mattress and it was a real struggle, we had to roll up the layers and shrink wrap them, and fold the base up like a taco and wrap that too. Our movers also struggled with it for about 30 mins to get it up/down stairs.
Nov 27, 2009
673 posts
7 upvotes
any thoughts on buying a medium mattress direct from the "Sleep on latex" site? Queen mattress looks about 1000 usd + 100 usd shipping, which works out to about 1400 cad, still probably much cheaper than Dormio or other latex sellers.
Jun 24, 2021
21 posts
12 upvotes
ovechkin1 wrote: any thoughts on buying a medium mattress direct from the "Sleep on latex" site? Queen mattress looks about 1000 usd + 100 usd shipping, which works out to about 1400 cad, still probably much cheaper than Dormio or other latex sellers.
Dormio is expensive and they only sell dunlop latex mattresses.

We prefer talalay over dunlop after having both. However, talalay in Canada is hard to come by.

Zenhaven sells talalay mattresses in Canada. Our first for our son is really nice and is our favorite mattress. However, when we ordered one for ourselves there were serious quality issues as they changed manufacturer (company that assembles it) in Ontario.

Best options are Sleep EZ and Arizona Mattress in the US, Arizona is cheaper but both sell talalay mattresses. Sleep Ez is the more expensive of the two. You may have to make your own arrangements for shipping.

Whatever you do avoid Naturelle. Ours smelt funny for three years before we got rid of it and was not impressed by the owner.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1982 posts
1084 upvotes
ovechkin1 wrote: any thoughts on buying a medium mattress direct from the "Sleep on latex" site? Queen mattress looks about 1000 usd + 100 usd shipping, which works out to about 1400 cad, still probably much cheaper than Dormio or other latex sellers.
Memory Foam Canada
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1982 posts
1084 upvotes
Kyle_87 wrote: Here's a photo of the mattress. You can see the top layer of two latex foams and the base which is coil spring mattress. The layers may not line up perfectly as you can see but for purpose of sleeping on its fine. Yes it ended up being pretty tall at 14 inch so I needed to pickup two new deep pocketed fitted sheets from bed bath and beyond to rotate between washes . Wamsutta® 525-Thread-Count PimaCott® Wrinkle Resistant Queen Fitted Sheet in White cost me around 32 plus tax each.

Price Breakdown

Queen haugsund firm -300 around 339 after tax
Sleep on latex Queen latex layers - 2 inch medium and 2 inch soft - 468 after tax and import from US fees.

Total mattess setup was around 870 all in for a Queen size.

Love the setup and would do it again for a King if we ever move out of a condo.
What is that inner casing you have? Did you buy that separately?

How does Latex sleep? Cool or hot? Im a hot sleeper

Im on my 3rd mattress trial. I may just have to go this route if I dont end up liking this one. It supposedly has a latex layer albeit 1in only.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1371 posts
166 upvotes
Markham
Hello the inner casing is a separately purchased mattress protector from ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/grusnarv-w ... -70462101/

Overall I would say the mattress still tends to sleep a bit hotter as the 4 inches of foam latex retain heat. It does not sleep as hot as the 12 inch all foam mattress I had from Costco prior (novaform memory foam comfort deluxe . We are still using a winter goose down comforter so that maybe why lol.

There are most likely bed sheets that will help with temperature control as well as using a lighter summer weight duvet.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1982 posts
1084 upvotes
Kyle_87 wrote: Hello the inner casing is a separately purchased mattress protector from ikea.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/grusnarv-w ... -70462101/

Overall I would say the mattress still tends to sleep a bit hotter as the 4 inches of foam latex retain heat. It does not sleep as hot as the 12 inch all foam mattress I had from Costco prior (novaform memory foam comfort deluxe . We are still using a winter goose down comforter so that maybe why lol.

There are most likely bed sheets that will help with temperature control as well as using a lighter summer weight duvet.
Thank you for all your feedback

Here's to hoping I land on something suitable soon
Nov 27, 2009
673 posts
7 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Memory Foam Canada
comparing their prices it seems that "sleep on latex" is still cheaper even with exchange and delivery
Nov 27, 2009
673 posts
7 upvotes
Kilarney2021 wrote: Dormio is expensive and they only sell dunlop latex mattresses.

We prefer talalay over dunlop after having both. However, talalay in Canada is hard to come by.

Zenhaven sells talalay mattresses in Canada. Our first for our son is really nice and is our favorite mattress. However, when we ordered one for ourselves there were serious quality issues as they changed manufacturer (company that assembles it) in Ontario.

Best options are Sleep EZ and Arizona Mattress in the US, Arizona is cheaper but both sell talalay mattresses. Sleep Ez is the more expensive of the two. You may have to make your own arrangements for shipping.

Whatever you do avoid Naturelle. Ours smelt funny for three years before we got rid of it and was not impressed by the owner.
thanks I'll look into these 2 retailers as well. Agreed on Naturelle based on the the mattress underground forum it seems that their certifications are quite suspect and may not even be valid. Although with any certifications for these mattresses they would be hard to verify, this company in particular has an especially bad rep online.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1982 posts
1084 upvotes
ovechkin1 wrote: comparing their prices it seems that "sleep on latex" is still cheaper even with exchange and delivery
Not really sure about this. Maybe for the toppers?

I made a sample shipment for a Medium 8in King mattress. Exchange is at 1.25 which works out to be $1875, then add HST only assuming it's duty free + shipping and youre pretty much paying more to a comparable mattress at MFC.

BTW, the sample mattress shipment wont even allow me to ship to Ontario, only the topper was ok to ship

Plus Mario is highly regarded on MU
Jun 24, 2021
21 posts
12 upvotes
ovechkin1 wrote: thanks I'll look into these 2 retailers as well. Agreed on Naturelle based on the the mattress underground forum it seems that their certifications are quite suspect and may not even be valid. Although with any certifications for these mattresses they would be hard to verify, this company in particular has an especially bad rep online.
I went with SleepEZ because the talalay blend is 95% natural. The Arizona mattress is 90%. For sleepez you need to pay extra and make a special request to have all layers talalay otherwise they have 100% organic.