Students

Laurentian University files for creditor protection

25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
3391 posts
3050 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
shoot... Will employers still accept my MBA?
Still trashy.

Better get CFA, the guy in your profile pic has it and he gets superior returns.
To the moon
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13063 posts
3875 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
UrbanPoet wrote: shoot... Will employers still accept my MBA?
An MBA who is putting money into lotteries?
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur United Nations IPCC Report 2021

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6517 posts
3541 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: woah! 2 ball busters in 1 thread. ok ok guys.
is there going to be a third? lol

just pm'd the mod to change thread title to 'urbanpoet roast'
Typical MBA, gets a piece of paper and all of a sudden he thinks he's the big boss and can change other peoples thread titles. ;)

Kidding, I think you'll be fine. Not like they got closed down for being a diploma mill.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1808 posts
518 upvotes
colleges and universities are on the way out , become a tradesmen lol . All Ontario does is build houses and Condos lol My foreman buddies raking in 120,000 a year building condos and such. Earn while you learn baby
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3536 upvotes
Burnaby
Let it go bankrupt and close it, then.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Sr. Member
Aug 24, 2005
799 posts
22 upvotes
Wow can't even making money running a school. Let me guest they want a bailout b/c LU is so important to Sudbury's economy.
Member
Nov 27, 2020
238 posts
484 upvotes
Turn it into a 100% foreign student institution. RFD membership soars. Win, win.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3002 posts
1490 upvotes
aviador wrote: Let it go bankrupt and close it, then.
Having graduated from Laurentian with a B. Eng....this school holds a special place in my heart.

Now, that being said, I am not surprised it is in the state it is financially.

I do, however, believe they can restructure and get things going to turn it around.

For my family....I'd like to see my kids attend LU as both the wife and I did....and its super close to home.

Time will tell, however.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
48685 posts
12111 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
kanewtz wrote: Having graduated from Laurentian with a B. Eng....this school holds a special place in my heart.

Now, that being said, I am not surprised it is in the state it is financially.

I do, however, believe they can restructure and get things going to turn it around.

For my family....I'd like to see my kids attend LU as both the wife and I did....and its super close to home.

Time will tell, however.
Is it just a lack of enrolment?
I know the reality is that any university is high level learning.

Reputation and public perception on the otherhand... i remember back then L.U. Was known as the school to go to if no one else would accept you... same with ryerson. It is even affectionally known as “rye high”. Lol.

Im no better as a York U alumni... we kinda have that rep too. Albeit slightly better than ryerson... its got a bad wrap for perverts and crime though.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3002 posts
1490 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Is it just a lack of enrolment?
I know the reality is that any university is high level learning.

Reputation and public perception on the otherhand... i remember back then L.U. Was known as the school to go to if no one else would accept you... same with ryerson. It is even affectionally known as “rye high”. Lol.

Im no better as a York U alumni... we kinda have that rep too. Albeit slightly better than ryerson... its got a bad wrap for perverts and crime though.
I'm not sure to be honest. Perhaps.

I graduated LU in 2009 and there were seven people in my class....mind you Engineering isn't exactly the easiest degree to get...trust me...I worked hard for it.

The joke too when I applied was that LU would take you...regardless of your grades.

I will say this however...at the end of the day, does it matter which university you graduate from? a B. Eng is a B. Eng!

Heck...when I wrote my P. Eng...is just got a Pass...no percentage, etc...and you only need a 50 to pass......I could of got 50...I could of got 90!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
36972 posts
5060 upvotes
Winnipeg
Never heard of this school, regardless it is time for higher education to reinvent themselves like the rest of us. Most of the knowledge can be obtained from the internet, why do we need to go to a physical building? One can make the case that we can't do lab at home, but how much lab does most people do? Campus can be a lot smaller to handle things like labs that must be done in a specialized facility.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4432 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: One can make the case that we can't do lab at home, but how much lab does most people do?
By about the third year of any science or engineering degree, time spent in the lab easily exceeds time spent in lectures. Very common to have 2-3 hrs of lecture in the morning and 4-5 hrs of lab in the afternoon every day.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)