Tags:
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
46 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Lawn advice

Advice please

I know this isnt the best time. But im going yo do it anyways. I got time and money to burn.

Im going to pluck all weeds with a fiskar, dethatch the dry/dorment areas, then aerate lawn. Then not sure if this correct, broadcast spread some top soil, then scotts green max, then some scotts seeds then broadcast spread peat moss all over lawn, then water twice a day.

Does this above process seem right??

Green max vs turf builder for above process?
Images
  • IMG-20200621-WA0006.jpeg
  • IMG-20200621-WA0008.jpeg
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2332 posts
302 upvotes
North York
Looks like you don't have much shade, prepare to water more then twice a day in this heat. We have a moderate amount of shade, and I'm out 3x/day right now.

Plan to do the weeding a couple of times, do it now, and then again in a couple weeks. Some will always grow back if you didn't get the entire root.

Personally, I'd skip the dethatching, few lawns actually have a meaningful amount of it. Spend the time you'd were planning on the thatch, on doing a double/triple pass aeration imo. I'd also pass on the fertilizer if you are doing it now, it'll be a little slower, but you'll have a greater margin of error. Otherwise looks like a good plan.
Jul 12, 2013
163 posts
98 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
PinkMonkeys wrote: Advice please

I know this isnt the best time. But im going yo do it anyways. I got time and money to burn.

Im going to pluck all weeds with a fiskar, dethatch the dry/dorment areas, then aerate lawn. Then not sure if this correct, broadcast spread some top soil, then scotts green max, then some scotts seeds then broadcast spread peat moss all over lawn, then water twice a day.

Does this above process seem right??

Green max vs turf builder for above process?
My two cents... You got it right but I would recommend to leave green max at least 3-4 weeks after you seed. You need to wait after seeds germination and have visible grass on your lawn, then apply that green max to help boost the growth. Applying too early will weaken the roots. Daily watering is absolutely key. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2742 posts
1299 upvotes
Mississauga
Too hot
Too late
Wait until sept
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
46 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: Looks like you don't have much shade, prepare to water more then twice a day in this heat. We have a moderate amount of shade, and I'm out 3x/day right now.

Plan to do the weeding a couple of times, do it now, and then again in a couple weeks. Some will always grow back if you didn't get the entire root.

Personally, I'd skip the dethatching, few lawns actually have a meaningful amount of it. Spend the time you'd were planning on the thatch, on doing a double/triple pass aeration imo. I'd also pass on the fertilizer if you are doing it now, it'll be a little slower, but you'll have a greater margin of error. Otherwise looks like a good plan.
Thanks for reply, so I went out and but a fiskar and yanked some weeds out my front lawn and gave it another mow. Looks like the the greenmax i used 2 weeks ago did something to my lawn it looks much better. The backyard has TOO many of something, not sure what kind of weed they are, but it looks like littler leaves, if i cut my grass it kinda looks like grass. How should I go about getting rid of these problem areas?

Should I spray it with something like Tenacity - https://amzn.to/2x4Io0v ?

Also, what about the dry/dorment areas in my backyard, they arent budging or going green, thats why i was considering aerating and seeding again just to give some life into my lawn for the summer. We like spending time in the back yard bbqing, and green grass is much more appealing.
Images
  • IMG-20200625-WA0012.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1014 posts
440 upvotes
apply par3/equivalent or tenacity, if you can find it (wait 3-4 weeks to seed: refer to label)

then,

i would mow really low

aerate/scarify or/and use a grass seed spreader (rent it from HD) - not required but nice to do

triple mix thin layer

spread seed if not done already

cover with peat moss

water lightly like a mist - moist but not wet every few hrs if in full sun - expect 4-5 times a day in summer, 3-4 in Sept

apply starter fertilizer 3-4 weeks after

This is better done in late Aug/early Sept.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
46 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
iwells wrote: apply par3/equivalent or tenacity, if you can find it (wait 3-4 weeks to seed: refer to label)

then,

i would mow really low

aerate/scarify or/and use a grass seed spreader (rent it from HD) - not required but nice to do

triple mix thin layer

spread seed if not done already

cover with peat moss

water lightly like a mist - moist but not wet every few hrs if in full sun - expect 4-5 times a day in summer, 3-4 in Sept

apply starter fertilizer 3-4 weeks after

This is better done in late Aug/early Sept.
Thanks this is pretty much what I have planned. I just went out and bought everything.

Would it not be beneficial to at scotts starter turfbuilder witht he overseed, its like 24-45-5
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1014 posts
440 upvotes
if only top soil - wait a week

if you use triple mix - soil, manure or compost and peat moss then you can delay it a bit - maybe 2-3 weeks

no point adding it when dropping the seed - you want the seedlings to get the nutrients not the seed.

moist soil, sun and lots of water - don't allow the soil to dry out

it might be better to to smaller areas as one big area is harder to keep soil moist - unless you have a sprinkler system
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1253 posts
411 upvotes
Probably too late now but at this time of year I would have just hit the yard twice with par3 and wait till spring to do the rest.. that would kill 95% of the weeds leaving you with a clean slate to work with next year. Anyways hope you get a great lawn!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16503 posts
6647 upvotes
If time and money is not a concern, you can try more all-in-one products like Scotts 9-1-1:
https://www.scotts.com/en-ca/products/g ... se-9-1-1tm

Or an overseeding mix:
https://www.scotts.com/en-ca/products/t ... d-starting

I am not sure what temperatures are like where you are, but overseeding like you are looking to do is generally done in the spring. That's why you might need a more all-in-one product if, as you say, money is no concern.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2005
46 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: If time and money is not a concern, you can try more all-in-one products like Scotts 9-1-1:
https://www.scotts.com/en-ca/products/g ... se-9-1-1tm

Or an overseeding mix:
https://www.scotts.com/en-ca/products/t ... d-starting

I am not sure what temperatures are like where you are, but overseeding like you are looking to do is generally done in the spring. That's why you might need a more all-in-one product if, as you say, money is no concern.
I'm in Vaughan, ON, it gets relatively hot/humid here mid summer. Shortly after I posted initially, I went ahead and aerated the lawn, reseeded etc etc....My lawn has come along quite nicely. Going to add some scotts green max to it now to add some more iron, to make it more green.

Any suggestions, how to get some bald spots more full? I keep reseeding top soiling them and watering, they seem to be getting smaller from the outside in, but still not quite filling it. Bothers me when I look at my lawn lol.

https://ibb.co/fdVH4Kp
Images
  • d2dcafef-5e9b-42cb-86e5-cf5844965cd0.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1116 posts
283 upvotes
London
Where's the best place to get par3?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16503 posts
6647 upvotes
PinkMonkeys wrote: I'm in Vaughan, ON, it gets relatively hot/humid here mid summer. Shortly after I posted initially, I went ahead and aerated the lawn, reseeded etc etc....My lawn has come along quite nicely. Going to add some scotts green max to it now to add some more iron, to make it more green.

Any suggestions, how to get some bald spots more full? I keep reseeding top soiling them and watering, they seem to be getting smaller from the outside in, but still not quite filling it. Bothers me when I look at my lawn lol.
What you're doing is working. You can accelerate by going with products like Scotts 911 if you want it just comes with a higher cost. What I like about what you're doing is that you will achieve a consistent look - sometimes people start mixing grass seed types and you can see varying colours.

Lawn care is unforunately something that takes time. You can speed it up with those expensive products if you like but you'll be maintaining this lawn for years to keep it up.
Nov 17, 2014
921 posts
714 upvotes
Ontario
Just as a reminder for you [...]....

Banned for cosmetic use
By law, you cannot use certain pesticides to kill weeds and insects on:

lawns
vegetable and ornamental gardens
patios
driveways
parks
schoolyards
You cannot use pesticides that contain certain ingredients, including:

2,4-D
Diazinon
glyphosate

These pesticides are banned for cosmetic purposes because they may pose an unnecessary risk to human health, particularly children’s health.

Would love to report each and every one of you. Hopefully some of your neighbours feel the same.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 1st, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude