• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 7:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9641 posts
1101 upvotes

Lawn is all yellow this seaon

Does anyone find the lawn is more yellow than previous year? I have been watering it every day, it is still turning yellow.........
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
When are you watering? Watering after sun down or very early morning is more effective than during the day. We water every day except when it rains and grass is green.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9641 posts
1101 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: When are you watering? Watering after sun down or very early morning is more effective than during the day. We water every day except when it rains and grass is green.
Evening
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4486 posts
1702 upvotes
GTA
I water every other morning at 5:00am and it's quite green, as are many of my neighbors. Some are certainly not being watered enough but they're not yellow. Maybe try watering early in the morning instead?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1141 posts
1874 upvotes
Canada
rdx wrote: Does anyone find the lawn is more yellow than previous year? I have been watering it every day, it is still turning yellow.........
It's been very hot this July. When it rained 2 times in a week, the lawn turned greener for us. We keep the grass fairly tall, if this helps any. We don't water the lawn. Ever.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9641 posts
1101 upvotes
kimmelite wrote: It's been very hot this July. When it rained 2 times in a week, the lawn turned greener for us. We keep the grass fairly tall, if this helps any. We don't water the lawn. Ever.
I notice it is not just our lawn, all my neighbours' lawn are pretty yellow...... even I have seen most of them are watering the lawn in the evening while I was doing....

Honestly, the last time I mowed the lawn was 2-3 weeks ago and the grass isn't tall at all. I am worried lawn is dying......
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15078 posts
1483 upvotes
Markham
Our whole street is yellow except for that one corner lot that's got an inground sprinkler system
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2333 posts
2975 upvotes
West GTA
When it's hot like this water your lawn twice a week, but fairly deeply - 3/4 inch or so each time. Best time to water is early morning as during the day a lot evaporates (and sometimes leaves can be burned), and evening leaves grass wet all night which promotes fungal disease. Watering more often can keep it looking good, but also leaves grass roots shallow and the turf prone to drought damage if you ever miss a day, and frequent watering encourages fungal disease.

Also cut it long - most people cut their grass WAY too short. On typical northern lawns you're looking for about a 3 inch cutting height. This drastically improves the heat and drought tolerance of your grass (and reduces weeds and improves lawn evenness). On my basic Honda mower it's the second highest level.

Cut with fairly sharp blades - most people don't sharpen their blades very much, and it'll leave grass with brown tips, vulnerable to fungal disease and water loss. Sharpen them in the spring and fall, it's an easy five minute DIY with a drill attachment or you can take them off and use a file if you're picky.

Typically don't fertilize in the heat of summer unless you're really dialed in on the watering - the growth it pushes stresses the grass.

In heat like this though the grass won't grow much (unless you're watering a ton). Enjoy the break ahead of fall mowing season.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
873 upvotes
London, On
SizzleChest wrote: What does it mean to water 3/4" deep?
It would be like if your yard was a big tray that you could see all the water you are putting on, and none drained out or ran off, it would be 3/4 inch deep. I have no idea how you figure that out though. The city always says to water the boulevard tree an inch deep of water once per week all the way around it and out as far as the branches overhang, but I can only guess at that too.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: What does it mean to water 3/4" deep?
Just means that you want to lay down approx 3/4” of water on the lawn. Some people use a tuna can placed in the middle of the lawn and then check when 3/4 of water collects in it - take also a time measurement so that in the future you know how long you need to water to get to that level. Also move the can around every time you water to ensure all areas of the lawn are getting 3/4
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
rdx wrote: Does anyone find the lawn is more yellow than previous year? I have been watering it every day, it is still turning yellow.........
How much water are you laying down? I’ve seen a lot of people water 15min during windy days in the middle of the heat wave which is ineffective. Early mornings, deep infrequent waterings to develop strong roots and leave the grass at a high height eg 3in to let it protect itself. Also cut it frequently, looping off high grass in one pass puts stress on it.

Do you know what type of grass you have? Some prefer the shade more while others can tolerate full sun. Maybe the developer put in whatever was cheaper.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
djeffery wrote: It would be like if your yard was a big tray that you could see all the water you are putting on, and none drained out or ran off, it would be 3/4 inch deep. I have no idea how you figure that out though. The city always says to water the boulevard tree an inch deep of water once per week all the way around it and out as far as the branches overhang, but I can only guess at that too.
It’s not an exact science but you could also always cut out a small patch of earth and see how moist and it is and to what depth level.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1186 upvotes
My lawn turn yellow in spots every year . It comes back in the fall or when we get heavy rain.
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2513 posts
1491 upvotes
Edmonton
Okay folks, a great deal has to do with where you are.
In Alberta, cool and wet spring, cool and wet July = great grass.
In Ontario, different story - less rain and more heat.

Your grass could be going dormant, which is nothing to worry about. Was it green in the spring? Has this happened before? Is it an overall yellowing?

Some rules of thumb...
Dethatch in the spring, fertilize in the spring - try to time just before a long, gentle, soaking rain.
Leave the grass long, raise the mower as high as it goes.
Do not cut in the same direction every time.
Mulch! Please do not bag.
Cut regularly, try not to take more than 1/2 inch off at a time. When it’s growing, you might cut every other day.
Don’t water..... you won’t have to.
Getting the grass tall and mulching will give the roots a moist covering, you’ll only have to water if you get into a drought situation.
Fertilize again in the fall, just before a good rain if you can.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5753 posts
1326 upvotes
rural ontario
Or you have a grub infestation. They eat the roots causing the grass to slowly die.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5087 posts
2594 upvotes
I think in my area it's the heat, it has gotten a bit better with the rain we've had lately but still not looking great
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9561 posts
2179 upvotes
Somewhere
Watering every single day is not great for grass health.

Of course, there's allowances for when it's extremely hot like recently in Ontario, but generally speaking, you should water an inch to inch and a half twice a week. If you water too much, you're not encouraging roots to grow deeper, which would protect it during hotter/dryer times.

If you're willing to water every single day, then sure. But miss a week or two, and it'll go yellow much faster than someone who waters twice a week, but deeply each time.
:confused: