[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2377 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto

Are lawn care services worth it?

Hi folks,

I recently moved to a new house (Winter 2018). The previous owner took good care of the lawn and last year I did basic maintenance (fertilizer, watering, aeration).

My question is if these lawn care services that include fertilizer, soil report, weed control, etc. are worth the $300 price tag?

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2284 posts
452 upvotes
I personally have done my own lawn since day 1, as above it depends on if you have the time/no how and resources to do it yourself.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15940 posts
13189 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Agree with the replies above
Only you know what your homeowners budget & personal time will allow

We tend to be DIYers here
Not afraid of hard work

That said, every once in awhile I find the lawn could use a hand
(Grass tends to be a cycle sort of thing ... some years good, some medium, some poor)

So when the going gets tough, I’ll call in a lawn service for a year or two to get things back on track

Lol, joke around here is they get the lawn hopped up on drugs ... and looking good
So much so that after I let them go the “Positive side affects” wear on for another year or 2 afterwards

So there seems to be a natural rotation for us
Lawn Service for years 1 & 2
No Lawn Service for years 3 & 4 ... lawn still looks ok
No Lawn Service for year 5 ... thinking I can still maintain
Finally realize it’s not going so well, and
Lawn Service for years 6 & 7
Rinse & Repeat ...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2816 posts
1050 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Agree with the replies above
Only you know what your homeowners budget & personal time will allow

We tend to be DIYers here
Not afraid of hard work

That said, every once in awhile I find the lawn could use a hand
(Grass tends to be a cycle sort of thing ... some years good, some medium, some poor)

So when the going gets tough, I’ll call in a lawn service for a year or two to get things back on track

Lol, joke around here is they get the lawn hopped up on drugs ... and looking good
So much so that after I let them go the “Positive side affects” wear on for another year or 2 afterwards

So there seems to be a natural rotation for us
Lawn Service for years 1 & 2
No Lawn Service for years 3 & 4 ... lawn still looks ok
No Lawn Service for year 5 ... thinking I can still maintain
Finally realize it’s not going so well, and
Lawn Service for years 6 & 7
Rinse & Repeat ...
Lol that’s actually a very good point. It also sounds like a very good strategy.

I like yard work, but it’s hard to find time, so I pay ppl to do mine. When the time comes and I have time on my hands, I’ll do it myself again.

Unless, like for PointsHubby, things don’t go well and the lawn needs help, then I’ll get some help for a season or two and then go back and do my own.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33566 posts
7249 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I did my own for 9 years before I finally gave up and hired a lawn care company.

I don’t have any green thumbs. I just cut the grass now.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
I'm in a similar boat. I don't have a green thumb at all. I just do a basic cut/trim every 2 weeks and that's about it. I've tried reseeding and it's been a complete waste of resources.

I hired a company called TruGreen for a season in the hopes that things would improve and unfortunately they didn't. Not sure if it was due to the company or not giving it enough time.

As a side note, I would not recommend TruGreen to anyone for the simple fact that they have hounded me since I left to rejoin. I get about one call per day, frequent letters in the mail, etc. and I've told them several times to take me off their mailing list and to stop calling.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1360 posts
1472 upvotes
West GTA
It depends on the person. In general, lawn care services are known to often be a bit sketchy - like they'll say they did a treatment and not actually do it, etc. This means that you still have to keep an eye on things.

In most of Canada the most effective herbicides are banned, which was historically a big value-add fro these firms. By using those, they could ensure a weed-free lawn. Now the only real tool they have is Fiesta (chelated iron), which can knock back some weeds but isn't as effective and requires repeated treatments. They'll still come to aerate, dethatch, fertilize on schedule and spray Fiesta (which you need to be licensed to use as it's a stronger formulation than consumer products), so there's still value, but if you're okay skipping the Fiesta and using a door-to-door aeration guy then DIY is cheaper and pretty easy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2377 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the responses. I tend to do things like mowing, fertilizing, pulling out weeds, watering (sprinkler system). However, I do hire someone for annual aeration.

I am just unsure if their services are any better than DIY.