• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2016 3:08 pm
[OP]
Jul 9, 2012
72 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa

Lawn fertilizer

I am new home owner have never used fertilizers before. Can some on tell me which fertilizer product to use at this time ? I know there are three numbers to look at .. but have no idea which numbers are good for current month/season. can some one guide me please?

P.S: We got our new grass in JULY. They are in good shape right now and I have mowed it once in early Sept. I was thinking of buying this one... is this a good product to use right now? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scott ... p.html#srp
19 replies
Nov 17, 2014
762 posts
218 upvotes
I think that cdn tire fertilizer (32-0-10) should work. They key is to have a large 3rd number (#10 in your cdn tire fertilizer bag) which is Potassium (K) that is considered important for overall plant health. This is primarily due to its ability to help build strong cells within the plant tissue. In turn, the plants withstand various stresses, such as heat, cold, pests, and diseases. For example, winterizer fertilizers will have a high component of potassium.

A common way of describing the purpose behind each chemical is to think “up, down, and all around.” Applying this simple phrase will help you remember that Nitrogen (N), the first chemical listed (#32 ), helps with plant growth above ground. Nitrogen does a great job of promoting the green leafy growth of foliage, and provides the necessary ingredients to produce lush green lawns. Spring lawn fertilizers will frequently have a high first number for this purpose.

Phosphorus (P), the middle number (#0), is very effective at establishing growth below ground, in the form of healthy root systems. It is also the component most responsible for flower blooms and fruit production. You’ll notice that fertilizers designed for flower production, or starter-type fertilizers for your lawn, have a high middle number. I dont think u need P this time of year.

[OP]
Jul 9, 2012
72 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the info.. exactly what I wanted to know. Any recommendation what product to use? and should I water it after fertilizing?
May 7, 2016
295 posts
213 upvotes
Might be a bit too late to fertilize now. Ideally it should be done in late September to mid October. Go to Home Depot, Rona, CDN Tire... and look at the instructions of the fall fertilizers.
Nov 17, 2014
762 posts
218 upvotes
urssohail wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 9:01 am
Thanks for the info.. exactly what I wanted to know. Any recommendation what product to use? and should I water it after fertilizing?
You cannot go wrong with fertilizers made by Scott or CIL, although they are a bit more expensive than lesser known brands.

Regarding watering, you should read the product label. Generally, a "slow release" fertilizer is recommended and will less likely burn your grass. For me, I apply the spring or winter fertilizers hours before it is forecasted to rain.

I do think that it is a bit too late for you to apply the winter fertilizer in ottawa now, because the temperature there is forecasted to be 10C and below for next 14 days and lawn grass generally remain dormant at temperature 10C and below for 10 days in a row. You may wish to wait till next spring to apply the fertilizer.
Nov 7, 2012
806 posts
307 upvotes
TORONTO
The weather has been pretty mild lately. You can still fertilize it with the Fall mix. Its mainly Nitrogen and its in a slow release formulation. So watering it wont do much to it.

I've fertilized my lawn twice since early September. My grass grew a lot after the first spreading of fall fertilizer. I did water it and it rained a lot so I'm assuming the fertilizer had melted into the lawn.
Nov 17, 2014
762 posts
218 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 9:43 am
The weather has been pretty mild lately. You can still fertilize it with the Fall mix. Its mainly Nitrogen and its in a slow release formulation. So watering it wont do much to it.
You live in Toronto, and I believe it is warmer there than Ottawa because Toronto has more buildings and heat loss, plus the moderating effect from Lake Ontario.
Nov 23, 2010
876 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
I would go with a winter fertilizer, not a fall fertilizer.

Supposedly the winter fertilizers slowly release nutrients to keep the grass in decent condition until the snow melts. Then when the snow melts you apply a spring/summer fertilizer to help it grow.

The key is you do not want to encourage your grass to grow right now. You want to encourage it to have just enough "food" to stay in good shape under a blanket of snow.

Also, make sure you mow your grass to a shorter then usual length. I think 2 inches?

If you leave your grass tall, the snow will push it down and it will get "matted" down like hair. It could develop snow mold, since it can not breath since its all matted down. And it will have a tough time growing in the spring.

Keeping things short also discourages leaves from staying on your lawn, less things to get caught in.

So rule of thumb around this time is to keep grass short, and to use a winter fertilizer. Next spring your grass will come up really quick - which is extremely beneficial as weeds will also be competing. You want your grass to grow first, not the weeds.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3132 posts
1581 upvotes
Ontario
...I went searching for Fall/Winter fertilizer the other day and had a hard time locating any. Mosts stores have either sold out or moved it to the back room, making way for X-Mas displays and such.

I did find some CIL Fall Fertilizer (with Winterizer) at Rona, and it was marked down 1/2 price to clear out at $9.99 (and is even cheaper in this link)

"Golfgreen" Fall Lawn Fertilizer 12-0-18
Nov 7, 2012
806 posts
307 upvotes
TORONTO
Beefeater wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 9:51 am
You live in Toronto, and I believe it is warmer there than Ottawa because Toronto has more buildings and heat loss, plus the moderating effect from Lake Ontario.
I'm actually just east of Toronto in Ajax. So, yes and no. Yes I'm in the GTA and no, we don't have the tall buildings near us to heat us up.

That being said, it's still pretty mild regardless in Southern Ontario. And from the weather network it's still around 10 degrees during the day. You can still lay down Fall fertilizer without any issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4441 posts
456 upvotes
Markham
akswun wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 9:43 am

I've fertilized my lawn twice since early September. My grass grew a lot after the first spreading of fall fertilizer. I did water it and it rained a lot so I'm assuming the fertilizer had melted into the lawn.
Quick question: I use Scott fall fertilizer in mid October . Can I apply again say now? Will it be good for lawn or burn them?

Thanks
Nov 7, 2012
806 posts
307 upvotes
TORONTO
smartie wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 12:45 pm
Quick question: I use Scott fall fertilizer in mid October . Can I apply again say now? Will it be good for lawn or burn them?

Thanks
Did your grass grow a lot more? You're supposed to cut it a little lower and then fertilize. I put some more down because my grass grew a lot more since the first time I laid some fert. down in the middle of Sept. We had a lot of rain and my grass was longer than 3". I didn't heavily fertilize it. Nitro will burn your lawn but the fall stuff is slow release so it avoids it.

If your grass needs one more cut and the weather is in the teens, then go for it. Just don't lay tons of fertilizer down. I had overseeded and topsoiled the first week of Sept. And my lawn grew nice and long. I didn't cut a lot at first because I wanted the grass to get a little more mature. But since then I had to cut it twice because the weather was perfect for grass germination and growth. Plenty of rain and temps below 20C above 15C.
Nov 17, 2014
762 posts
218 upvotes
OP:
I also live in Ottawa like you. My last fall/winter fertilizer application is around late sept or early october. You may also notice that, per lawn signs, many ottawa lawn care companies apply the fall/winter fertilizer around that time of year too for their customers.

I guess that the rule of thumb is not to apply the lawn fertilizer when the grass is hardly growing or dormant, which may encourage the grass to grow resulting in stress, as in hot summer days or in fall days below 10C. I apply the fertilizer twice a year: spring and fall.

THE FOLLOWING ARE EXCERPTS FROM "EXPERTS":

...temperatures average between 50 and 65 degrees F (10C to 18C) ...the University of California at Davis recommends for fall fertilization.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/temperatur ... 90766.html

Applying nitrogen containing fertilizers to lawns and landscapes in winter can increase cold damage by encouraging growth to begin too early....
https://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/01/up- ... on-plants/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7738 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
Lowes has their Sta Green products on clearance.

This is one of the only granular fall fertilizers I've seen containing phosphorus as most places no longer carry fertilizers with phosphorus.

They also have some liquids that would have worked well for the over seeders a few weeks ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4441 posts
456 upvotes
Markham
akswun wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 1:52 pm
Did your grass grow a lot more? You're supposed to cut it a little lower and then fertilize. I put some more down because my grass grew a lot more since the first time I laid some fert. down in the middle of Sept. We had a lot of rain and my grass was longer than 3". I didn't heavily fertilize it. Nitro will burn your lawn but the fall stuff is slow release so it avoids it.

If your grass needs one more cut and the weather is in the teens, then go for it. Just don't lay tons of fertilizer down. I had overseeded and topsoiled the first week of Sept. And my lawn grew nice and long. I didn't cut a lot at first because I wanted the grass to get a little more mature. But since then I had to cut it twice because the weather was perfect for grass germination and growth. Plenty of rain and temps below 20C above 15C.

Thank you very much

I was wondering whether it's too close to fertilize again just after one month