Lawn and fertilizer application

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2016 4:05 pm
Feb 10, 2015
395 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Lawn and fertilizer application

I purchased this fertilizer http://tinypic.com/r/3508cvb/9 and already applied it
once 2 days ago.
Would it help my lawn if i apply it again few times
before snow?

Thanks
9 replies
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
the picture at the link is really blurry.
It is not going to help. Do it if you want to destroy your lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
You don't want to overdo it with inorganic fertilizer as too much can burn your grass.

Give it some time to work. Water the lawn to dissolve the fertilizer if necessary.
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Scott's fall fertilizer is an excellent product. One application as per the directions is all that is required. Over fertilizing will damage your lawn. Myself, I keep an eye on the weather and apply closer to freezing temperatures. This way the fertilizer will become active in the spring.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2010
1130 posts
650 upvotes
Greely
Magoo61 wrote: Myself, I keep an eye on the weather and apply closer to freezing temperatures. This way the fertilizer will become active in the spring.
I understand late oct is the recommended time to fertilizer in the fall. I usually fertilize once in late spring and once in August, but I plan on trying a late fall application this year.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
Magoo61 wrote: Scott's fall fertilizer is an excellent product. One application as per the directions is all that is required. Over fertilizing will damage your lawn. Myself, I keep an eye on the weather and apply closer to freezing temperatures. This way the fertilizer will become active in the spring.
Isn't too early to apply fall fertilizer? I thought it's mid oct earliest
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
smartie wrote:
Magoo61 wrote: Scott's fall fertilizer is an excellent product. One application as per the directions is all that is required. Over fertilizing will damage your lawn. Myself, I keep an eye on the weather and apply closer to freezing temperatures. This way the fertilizer will become active in the spring.
Isn't too early to apply fall fertilizer? I thought it's mid oct earliest
I think it all about the weather versus a date. For example, I may be out of luck, we have had 10 cm of snow on our lawns for the last week.
Dec 13, 2008
211 posts
27 upvotes
My front lawn has some weeds in it, Should I still apply fertilizer? if so, should i use a different type
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
A bit off topic question, some people say it is also the best time to put grass seeds in November for a better lawn early spring next year, is it true ?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2576 posts
22 upvotes
Personally, I've applied seeds in the last three weeks, and am seeing great growth. I don't want to wait for a certain date, since the weather here in the GTA has already reached very cold temps (in comparison to grass growth. You want your seeds to germinate with outdoor temperatures between 16-18 degrees Celsius give or take I think. Frequent misting, with the addition of a bit of peat moss to help retain moisture, has done well for me.