Home & Garden

Lawn Mower Keeps Shutting Off after 2 secs...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2016 12:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
946 posts
79 upvotes
London

Lawn Mower Keeps Shutting Off after 2 secs...

My lawnmower used to run fine but now when i start it, it runs for 2 seconds and shuts off. I've replaced the spark plug and air filter but no go.

I checked YT for a few links on cleaning the carburetor but, from the photos below, it isnt designed like any of the lawnmowers shown. There is no nut to clean out or floater that i can see.

Do you have any recommendations on how to get my lawnmower to to start and remain on? In the 3rd pic below there is a spring system. I've tried swiveling it but it does nothing. In fact the end opposite the swivel end doesnt even move; it seems there is no tension in the spring at all. I believe this is the throttle for the engine and from i can see it is default to maximum throttle bc when i tried to assist and pull back the other end that doesnt move i noticed the engine ran slower.

Thanks!

15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1933 posts
713 upvotes
Kitchener
Had the same issue as you one year. Your carb is junked up. I didn't know how to remove it either so all I did was I put in carb cleaner in the gas tank. Then I pulled the cord and immediately after it starts start pumping air in by pressing the choke, ie red rubber ball. Keep pressing it and you should be able to keep it running, probably a but rough. Do this for about 30secs or so and shut off and see if it starts and remains on. This worked for me without having to remove the carb and the carb cleaner did the rest. 25 year old mower starts on 1-2 pulls.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2711 upvotes
ON
This is my foolproof first-start method after winter storage. It would do exactly what you describe as the carb needed cleaning. Start it, run for 2s, then sputter out, dead.

Step 1 - bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Give half a bottle (or half a dose if multi dose type)
In a small amount of gas. You want high concentration of FIC to start, then fill your tank once it is running well.

Step 2 - start engine normally. As soon as it is started and begins to slow down, use the prime bulb to keep it running manually. Keep pumping until it can sustain itself.
Eventually it will run longer and longer between priming and then it will stay on by itself forever.
Give a it another min to burn through and then do your mowing. By the time you finish mowing you should be good for the season.

Is it as good as a proper carb cleaning? Probably not. But it gets the job done and worked fine for the rest of the season.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8887 posts
5928 upvotes
Kootenays
peelhic wrote: Had the same issue as you one year. Your carb is junked up. I didn't know how to remove it either so all I did was I put in carb cleaner in the gas tank. Then I pulled the cord and immediately after it starts start pumping air in by pressing the choke, ie red rubber ball. Keep pressing it and you should be able to keep it running, probably a but rough. Do this for about 30secs or so and shut off and see if it starts and remains on. This worked for me without having to remove the carb and the carb cleaner did the rest. 25 year old mower starts on 1-2 pulls.
The "red rubber ball" is actually a primer bulb (tickler) that pumps gas manually into the carb. The choke is a lever that closes off the carb throat and makes the gas/air mixture richer in gas.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1933 posts
713 upvotes
Kitchener
My bad...yes primer, not choke.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
946 posts
79 upvotes
London
ok will try that. thx. will get back to you tomorrow
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
try new gas? pump out the old gas, I have a 20 year old lawn mover it starts up the the same the first day I bought it from sears. could be the engine is a honda....
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
946 posts
79 upvotes
London
SO far tried the carb cleaner approach by pouring it into some gas/ The mower did start up but yes i had to keep pressing the bulb. It then remained running for 15 mins but suddenly stopped. Im going to try starting it up again. I have replaced the gas with fresh gas and also replaced its oil.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13814 posts
8503 upvotes
Markham
smitty9999 wrote: Seafoam
+1

and going forward, add it to the gas before you put it into the tank. It's a stabilizer and it'll help keep things cleaner.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1173 posts
621 upvotes
GTA
More pictures of the mower might be needed.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1167 posts
657 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
If and when you get your mower going. Start using Shell 91 gas which contains NO ethanol... That's all I use for my snow and lawn equipment! Ethanol gums up the carb, especially if the old gas is left in the machine(s) over winter.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2683 upvotes
Vancouver
I had that problem with my mower. Turned out that a gasket had come loose from the underside of the gas cap and was floating around at the bottom of the tank, occasionally blocking the fuel pipe. Check the inside of your tank with a flashlight.