• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 7:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
88 posts
17 upvotes

Lawn mower recommendations..

Looking for a lawn mower for a small size yard. Budget is 200-400$.
Yard is about 1000 sqft max.
Leaning towards cordless electric but open to other options as well.
Please provide me your suggestions..
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
If its a small lawn, I would probably just go with a reel mower. Lots of good choices out there, I had a Lee valley one and Fiskar one in the past, worked great.

For cordless I'm probably going to recommend dewalt. Its usually $400 on sale, $500-600 regular price. There are cheaper options, but I just like the dewalt for size, build quality, etc.

For Gas go with Honda or Toro. The cheaper ones will probably push your budget a bit, or maybe be right at the upper end, but are well worth it.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
88 posts
17 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: If its a small lawn, I would probably just go with a reel mower. Lots of good choices out there, I had a Lee valley one and Fiskar one in the past, worked great.

For cordless I'm probably going to recommend dewalt. Its usually $400 on sale, $500-600 regular price. There are cheaper options, but I just like the dewalt for size, build quality, etc.

For Gas go with Honda or Toro. The cheaper ones will probably push your budget a bit, or maybe be right at the upper end, but are well worth it.
Thank you... will look into reel mowers...
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
YEGDealSeeker wrote: Thank you... will look into reel mowers...
Shameless lee valley reel mower promotion
Images
  • E8298628-76DC-473A-9452-775C07C822EE.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-lawnmower-leaf- ... 1565879658

If in Toronto theres a 40v Ryobi you can probably buy for 150, if mower looks good and runs watch Home Depot for a sale on a new 40v battery. Spend 15 minutes trying to fix self propel on the old gas mower and Kijiji it for $50-100 quick.

This guys in his 70's, some of you guys want him to push a reel mower? Its about time he shingled his roof also!
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Zamboni wrote:
This guys in his 70's, some of you guys want him to push a reel mower? Its about time he shingled his roof also!
A properly adjusted reel mower should be easier to push then an electric/cordless.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14261 posts
9029 upvotes
Markham
Reel mower is a good option for smaller yards...used one [Gardena] for quite a while in my previous house.

With reel mowers => you should cut grass more often as it doesn't work as well with longer grass.

If you're lazier getting out there to cut grass, I'd probably suggest these newer cordless electric models...quiet, no fumes, faster than reel and no issue with battery running out as your run time should be relatively short.

If you're unsure, consider buying a used reel mower and try it for a season to see if it works for you. At worst case if you don't like the reel mower, it should be relatively easy to sell and you probably won't lose hardly any money with the experiment if you buy at a decent used price.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Mar 5, 2017
88 posts
17 upvotes
Thank you for the suggestions guys... I am leaning towards reel mowers.. thinking of getting a good used one if I find it otherwise the new ones seem reasonably priced for my needs as well...
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
YEGDealSeeker wrote: Thank you for the suggestions guys... I am leaning towards reel mowers.. thinking of getting a good used one if I find it otherwise the new ones seem reasonably priced for my needs as well...
My 20" Lee Valley was $50 off Kijiji. Do you research on cut heights - some are quite low. Lee Valley stocks 3 different sizes - only the 20" gives a 3" max cut height. The smaller mowers from them are much lower.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4395 posts
4565 upvotes
GTA
Do reel mowers work well on average bumpy lawns? I though they were better suited to well-maintained, level lawns. But maybe that just the super fancy gas powered ones.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
derass wrote: Do reel mowers work well on average bumpy lawns? I though they were better suited to well-maintained, level lawns. But maybe that just the super fancy gas powered ones.
I think that depends on cut height. You most often see them used for sports facilities such as professional playing fields and golf courses. Much tighter cut there. My reel is as high as it will now (3” for the 20”width lee valley) and I can’t say my lawn is terribly level