Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
483 posts
17 upvotes

Lawn Mower vs. Weed Trimmer

Hello, a newbie question here:

Does anyone have any experience using a grass/weed trimmer to cut the entire lawn instead of a traditional lawn mower?

Reason Im asking is because I saw a contractor for my neighbour used a gas trimmer and was able to wiz through the yard in 5mins. He then used a leaf blower to suck the grass away. :razz:

Seemed extremely fast and easy so I wanted to get some opinions from fellow RFDers here. Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8310 posts
1894 upvotes
Ontario
ao_tenshi wrote: Hello, a newbie question here:

Does anyone have any experience using a grass/weed trimmer to cut the entire lawn instead of a traditional lawn mower?

Reason Im asking is because I saw a contractor for my neighbour used a gas trimmer and was able to wiz through the yard in 5mins. He then used a leaf blower to suck the gas away. :razz:

Seemed extremely fast and easy so I wanted to get some opinions from fellow RFDers here. Thanks!
I've seen that too, but typically in areas on the side of the road (e.g., perfect cut not necessary). Since you are hand holding the trimmer, and a slight angle with the spin will create an uneven cut (or worse, cut to the root), I would not advise to do that. If you have a very steady hand and good eye, be my guest. Personally, if I have to be THAT careful when cutting the lawn, I'd rather it take twice as long with a traditional mower and not think about the level I am cutting.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3621 posts
96 upvotes
Its humorous in the new developments, the size (smallness) of the yard. We've got 2 mowers to do our lawn so it doesn't take about 1.5h to do! And a gas string trimmer for the edges.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
You can do it just make sure you have an extra spool of string handy if you have a really big area to cut :)
May 17, 2006
539 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
I think you'll be better off getting a mower. One of our neighbors cuts his entire lawn with a trimmer and it looks like complete crap - he also looks completely ridiculous when he's doing it (tries to go in straight lines instead of a sweeping motion).
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4353 posts
182 upvotes
Interesting post. I wonder if somebody can recommend a good trimmer for a reasonable price. Thanks
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
483 posts
17 upvotes
sungfra wrote: Interesting post. I wonder if somebody can recommend a good trimmer for a reasonable price. Thanks
Yea, this will be my next question as well :)
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21948 posts
536 upvotes
Newmarket
Just get a reel mower.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8310 posts
1894 upvotes
Ontario
Or you can hack an existing trimmer and add training wheels onto it! Now you have a mowing trimmer!

Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6840 posts
1381 upvotes
Wow, I've never seen someone cut the entire lawn with just a trimmer. I guess unless you have a townhouse with very small yard, I wouldn't bother handholding it all the way.