None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9793 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham

Lawn Mowers Recommendation

For the yard about 70*120, which Lawn Mower is good for that? Dont need very fancy(I actually prefer simplicity) , just need cut the grass and make yard neat(front and back). Prefer I can buy from homedepot.

Thanks
29 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Do you want electric or gas powered?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9793 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham
Used neither of them. If electric is good for my yard size, I am open to it.
Apr 30, 2004
271 posts
76 upvotes
Get a gas one, less trouble.
Lot of discussion recently here
May 15, 2015
223 posts
64 upvotes
North York, ON
Bought a EGO electric lawnmower. A little more expensive but it's the only model comparable to gas on the market. Love love love it so far. So quiet and easy to use. Quick to charge. Battery works for their trimmer and blower as well. There are several threads on this on R&D as well.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
My honda is going on 12 years . Oil change once a year . They go on sale all the time at sears .
Jul 4, 2012
211 posts
49 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
pfbmgd wrote: My honda is going on 12 years . Oil change once a year . They go on sale all the time at sears .
+1 for Honda. I have my parents old one which is going on 25 years old. It hadn't had an oil change for years since I was the one who would do it and thus my parents didn't when I moved out. Got it from them 3 years ago, oil change, started on first pull. Everything is original except the blade.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
My father was fixing the transmission on a self-propelled lawnmower with a Yamaha engine recently; I've taken apart a lot of small engines, and the Yamaha was right up there with Honda for build quality. I'd say those two would be my recommendations, but you're going to pay considerably more for them.

Having given that recommendation, I have a "Yardworks", and I don't know what engine it has; starts every year, handles the wettest grass, and never stalls. The way the engine handles loads is not as awesome as a higher quality engine, but it keeps running. Got it at a garage sale for $25; needed a new spark plug, and new gas.

I'd avoid self propelled lawnmowers; the assistance the drive system provides isn't really all that helpful IMO, and when the drive system dies, you might end up with a lawnmower that can't be moved without replacing the expensive transmission.
Feb 14, 2008
261 posts
39 upvotes
Scarborough
Honda or Lawn Boy, both are great brands.

I've been using my Lawn Boy gas mower for 21 year with minimal maintenance.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1718 posts
978 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I am in the same boat. I think I am just gonna get the cheapest gas one from crappy tire for $199
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16263 posts
17742 upvotes
Oakville
I use a $100 electric corded mower from Lowes. Simplest mower, just an electric motor directly mounted to the blade. It's great if you don't mind the cords (easy to manage) and have power nearby. Nice and quite and you don't come out smelling of oil/gas. Your lawn is a bit bigger so you might want a wider blade to cut faster.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9793 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham
brobinsoncc wrote: I am in the same boat. I think I am just gonna get the cheapest gas one from crappy tire for $199
There is Canadian tire gift card on sale, you can get it even cheaper
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9793 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham
jabela wrote: I use a $100 electric corded mower from Lowes. Simplest mower, just an electric motor directly mounted to the blade. It's great if you don't mind the cords (easy to manage) and have power nearby. Nice and quite and you don't come out smelling of oil/gas. Your lawn is a bit bigger so you might want a wider blade to cut faster.
Can you share the brand and model? I an not sure whether mower has that long cords. How long is your cords, did you buy extra cord from store
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16263 posts
17742 upvotes
Oakville
smartie wrote: Can you share the brand and model? I an not sure whether mower has that long cords. How long is your cords, did you buy extra cord from store
It was the Duramaxx 8amp, 14inch wide mower https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx?sku=12455578
It was on sale a couple weeks ago for $99 with no tax.

They don't come with cords, but you can get a 100ft 10amp cord from Canadian tire for $24.
Or this one from Lowes https://www.lowes.ca/extension-cords-ac ... tdoor-cord
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9793 posts
4965 upvotes
Markham
I have another question: I need drain the gas tank before winter, is this necessary maintenance?
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
pfbmgd wrote: My honda is going on 12 years . Oil change once a year . They go on sale all the time at sears .
+1. Craftsman with the Honda engine.. Oil changed every year.. This spring I also changed the spark plug, and air filter.. Starts up like a champ every single time
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
smartie wrote: I have another question: I need drain the gas tank before winter, is this necessary maintenance?
Top off the tank with supreme gas that has stabilizer. Done, and done.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1928 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just got the EGO 56V Cordless electric mower and couldn't be happier! Was able to mow 4000 square feet of lawn with at least 25% battery left.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
169 upvotes
traderjay wrote: Just got the EGO 56V Cordless electric mower and couldn't be happier! Was able to mow 4000 square feet of lawn with at least 25% battery left.
Did you get the self propelled version? If you can mow 4000 sq ft with 25% battery left on this version then this would be a worthy successor to my 8 year old Honda if it ever dies.