Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 10, 2008
468 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills

lawn seed... is it too late?

My lawn is brownish and patchy. I might have some grub damage. Is it too late in the season to seed and topsoil? I'm in the gta.
17 replies
Dec 19, 2008
284 posts
132 upvotes
It's not ideal but never too late. This time of year (anytime of year for that matter) you need to keep the seed watered regularly. Failing that you will just be throwing money out the window
Mar 16, 2008
222 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
Reading instructions on my bag of grass seed, it says seed germinates best when temperatures are consistently 15°-26°C. I'd probably lay down the grass seed by July before its gets too hot.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
612 upvotes
Elgin, ON
You can certainly improve your lawn this time of year. You will just need to use a lot of water to keep it moist - water every day, multiple times a day, until it is established.
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
277 upvotes
It is never too late. But, it is not ideal this time of year because of the heat. Your grass seed is probably for a cool season grass that grows faster in cooler temperature (spring or fall).

If u want to go ahead, u need to keep the soil cool and moist, with frequent watering daily, esp during hot days.

If u have grub (or chinch bugs), get rid of them first.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1834 posts
1051 upvotes
Durham
But our evenings/nights are still cool, so wouldn't that work in favor? A good morning soak and cooling in the evening will help get it going before the consistent hot days come?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
I put a bunch down yesterday morning to take advantage of the rain we've been having. Will just water it where needed between mother nature helping out and any grass I get is a win. I need it now, not in the fall.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We just planted some more seeds on our patchy parts of the lawn. It's nice and cool at night. Usually just water a lot at night, and tiny bit during morning.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1110 posts
79 upvotes
Ajax
As others have said, it's not too late.
The above poster has it right with watering - keep those seeds as moist as possible.
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
277 upvotes
foodyforlife wrote: We just planted some more seeds on our patchy parts of the lawn. It's nice and cool at night. Usually just water a lot at night, and tiny bit during morning.
It is not a good idea to water at night, as that attract bugs to the lawn. Best time is before the sun comes out, less evaporation and the grass and soil can dry out by evening.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1834 posts
1051 upvotes
Durham
Beefeater wrote: It is not a good idea to water at night, as that attract bugs to the lawn. Best time is before the sun comes out, less evaporation and the grass and soil can dry out by evening.
Good tip! Never thought of that. I will need to buy a timer.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12254 posts
6807 upvotes
Brampton
AS long as you're willing to keep the seeds moist you're not too late. You don't need to top soil but if your lawn's a disaster it can't hurt. Might want to fertilize too if you haven't done it.
Oct 1, 2011
205 posts
126 upvotes
I just started a good sized completely bare patch last week and already have grass sprouting up. If you're going to do it get started asap, just make sure you water every day. If possible water 2-3 times a day for the first few days (without soaking the seeds). That will help keep them moist initially. I threw down some soil, then seed and peat moss overtop and have had good success with that recipe. Keeping the seeds wet is key though.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote: But our evenings/nights are still cool, so wouldn't that work in favor? A good morning soak and cooling in the evening will help get it going before the consistent hot days come?
When it gets really hot, you may have to water multiple times throughout the day to ensure the top soil doesn't dry out.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8079 posts
343 upvotes
You don't want to completely soak it...to the point water is pooling....cause the seeds will just drain away from where you had it if there's a slope
Just enough to get it moist
Sep 20, 2013
432 posts
107 upvotes
GTA
Do you know how long it takes for seeds to germinate and how long we have to keep watering them? We'll be away for three days during the July 1 long weekend. We had planned on seeding this weekend but wondering whether we should seed now knowing that we will not be able to water for those three days.
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
Oct 1, 2011
205 posts
126 upvotes
GTAian wrote: Do you know how long it takes for seeds to germinate and how long we have to keep watering them? We'll be away for three days during the July 1 long weekend. We had planned on seeding this weekend but wondering whether we should seed now knowing that we will not be able to water for those three days.
Probably about 7-21 days depending on what type of grass/mix you have. If you seed this weekend and keep watering during the weeks leading up to that weekend, I think its likely the seeds would be established enough to hang on for a couple days at that point.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe try some better seeds like Scott's or these promix.

http://www.promixgardening.com/en/produ ... aQodUwwN8Q

I would use lots of organic material to help keep seeds moist.

Many lawns in poor condition I have passed by are compacted and have really dusty soil and no water holding capacity.

Almost like clay and winter salt.

Amending soil is very important to an already intensive job of keeping a fully healthy lawn.

I personally would not embark on lawn renovation just before the highest heat of the summer unless I was willing to do it properly.

Slit seeder, Tilling up the soil and adding lots of organic material before reseeding,resodding etc.

Keep in mind it will take lots of water to keep those fragile grass shoots alive during July and August.

I've always thought of planting grass in seed boxes inside and then transplanting to the lawn once it's established.