Shopping Discussion

Lawnmower class action lawsuit

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 10:51 am
Nov 4, 2009
80 posts
113 upvotes

Lawnmower class action lawsuit

Please be gentle as this is one of my first posts.

There is a class action lawsuit that has now been settled so some of us are entitled to some money. The claim period is January 21, 2019 and will run until May 22, 2019. If you purchased a lawnmower between the period of January 1, 1994 and December 31, 2012 and it was under 30hp you can file a claim. See below for proof of purchases that they will accept. The claim amount varies depending on the HP on the purchased unit.

16. Proof of purchase may include but is not limited to:
a. receipts;
b. invoices;
c. purchase records;
d. manuals;
e. warranty documents;
f. product registration documents;
g. rebate documents;
h. repair invoices;
i. geotagged photographs; or
j. comparable verification that is acceptable to the Claims Administrator.

Let me know if I need to add or modify anything,
Thread Summary
http://www.lawnmowersettlement.ca/

From the FAQ:
9. What information do I need to provide with my claim?

A simplified claim for $15 per person can be completed in approximately 5 minutes. You will need to complete a short claim form containing some basic particulars of your lawn mower purchase. This information includes the lawn mower make, engine make, and the year of purchase.

To be eligible for increased compensation, you will need to complete a standard claim form supported by proof of purchase and/or proof of horsepower. This type of proof includes receipts, invoices, photos, purchase records, serial numbers, warranty documents, product registration documents, rebate documents, repair invoices, or any other comparable verification that is acceptable to the Claims Administrator. These claims will be evaluated and compensated on a per lawn mower basis.

Proof will be flexibly evaluated by the Claims Administrator with a view to enabling claims while deterring unmeritorious claims.
222 replies
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
Don't really think this is a Hot Deal....
Mar 6, 2018
35 posts
11 upvotes
thanks OP, i doubt i would've found this info if you hadn't posted it.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1393 posts
1496 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: How much compensation?
Had to click on the itty bitty link and read a big old .pdf but ctrl+f is the best, lol.

"If an Eligible End User is able to provide proof of the horsepower rating of their Lawn
Mower Purchases, they will be provided compensation for their Lawn Mower Purchases
as follows, subject to the terms as set out in paragraphs 21 and 22:
a. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines under 5 horsepower – $20;
b. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines 5 horsepower or more – $35;
c. riding Lawn Mowers with engines under 18 horsepower – $45; and
- 9 -
d. riding Lawn Mowers with engines 18 horsepower or more – $55."
Sep 30, 2015
641 posts
882 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
ar2020 wrote: How much compensation?
Looks like most will get $15

Eligible End Users who provide a declaration without further proof of purchase or proof of
horsepower will receive $15 per claimant subject to the terms of paragraphs 21 and 22.

If an Eligible End User is able to provide proof of the horsepower rating of their Lawn
Mower Purchases, they will be provided compensation for their Lawn Mower Purchases
as follows, subject to the terms as set out in paragraphs 21 and 22:
a. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines under 5 horsepower – $20;
b. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines 5 horsepower or more – $35;
c. riding Lawn Mowers with engines under 18 horsepower – $45; and
d. riding Lawn Mowers with engines 18 horsepower or more – $55.
Nov 4, 2009
80 posts
113 upvotes
Sorry, I should have included the very basic information.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1442 posts
1065 upvotes
YYC
Looks like it's only for gas engines. Diesel and electric are excluded. Too bad for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
FYI, Yardworks & Yard Machine mowers sold by CanTire, Rona, Home Hardwere (and others) are made by MTD. First manufacturer on the list.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
should RFD have a category for:
class action lawsuit and manufacturer callbacks ?
would be kinda cool to check what i'm entitle to get $ for or free repairs

not a 'hot deal' but still cool ...
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
brghunter wrote: FYI, Yardworks & Yard Machine mowers sold by CanTire, Rona, Home Hardwere (and others) are made by MTD. First manufacturer on the list.
Yea I was specifically looking for Yardworks but you're correct MTD covers that. Thanks for posting
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Free money is free money! For reference, Remington mowers are also manufactured by MTD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
Most Craftsman mowers have Briggs and Stratton motors, so they're in I assume.

Luckily I bought mine online so have electronic receipts. Over 5 hp too! Yay me!

Thanks OP!!

Why is this thread being moved??!! 99% of RFDers read the Hot Deals thread!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I wish i had some of those proofs but no dice :(
Obviously they don't want free riders but who could have known to keep things form various products (i speak beyond this class action)
Last edited by Quentin5 on Jan 7th, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jul 4, 2016
43 posts
37 upvotes
Ok, those documents look like Klingon to me... I'm curious as to why is there a lawsuit? Just don't want my lawnmower to blow up in my face this summer. I would expect that to be clearly explained in the first few lines, but it's all mumbo-jumbo stuff.
Dec 21, 2012
509 posts
827 upvotes
Winnipeg
The lawsuit is for overstating the actual horsepower of the mower, nothing wrong with them. They just put different horsepower labels on the same engine and sold them for more.