• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 9:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes

Lawnmower recommendations?

Hi, my old black & decker 2003 model corded lawnmower is on it's last legs. It works but i honestly hate the cord.

Any recommendations? i'm prepared to pay between $500-$700. I've been eyeing a honda gas powered or toro. It seems there are some good battery powered options too but i'm on the fence as my past experience with battery powered tools wasn't good. The battery would be dead after 5 years and replacements are expensive. Thoughts? Recommendations?
9 replies
Dec 3, 2003
323 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
eXmark Commercial 21, it will likely out last you.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18634 posts
6033 upvotes
London
Temujin1 wrote: Hi, my old black & decker 2003 model corded lawnmower is on it's last legs. It works but i honestly hate the cord.

Any recommendations? i'm prepared to pay between $500-$700. I've been eyeing a honda gas powered or toro. It seems there are some good battery powered options too but i'm on the fence as my past experience with battery powered tools wasn't good. The battery would be dead after 5 years and replacements are expensive. Thoughts? Recommendations?
GTA ?

costco-elgin-mills-location-troy-bilt-2 ... 16/#unread
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes
JMWarren wrote: eXmark Commercial 21, it will likely out last you.
Sure, all I need is $1200.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2792 posts
1942 upvotes
If you want something that will last get a gas one. If the warranty goes out any small machine shop should be able to fix it

Batteries will die and perhaps will be phased out, but gas motors dont.

Personally I dont like inhaling fumes so I have a corded mower. Nothing to maintain, but also a PITA to work with but it is what it is
Sep 15, 2017
805 posts
924 upvotes
In before someone whines about gas being noisy or smelly. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes If you want longevity and power, there is no other choice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7407 posts
3147 upvotes
Cheapest, simplest gas mower. I bought 150cc Briggs and Stratton 11 yrs ago, I think it was $150. It is super light and easy to maneuver. I haven't added a squirt of oil or changed a spark plug since I've owned it. It starts first pull every time.

Something like this one.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210826_152859_com.android.chrome.jpg
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2021 posts
887 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I recently needed to buy a new push mower after the deck of my old Craftsman lost its battle with rust. My lawn takes about 1 hour to mow.

I did not have a lot of time to mess around, so I just walked into the Canadian Tire I was nearest, and bought what was available. The Perth location had fairly poor selection, but I walked out with a Troy-Bilt powered by a 160cc Honda, at a 10% discount. I had $350 in Triangle rewards to put towards it as well. It has more plastic than my old Craftsman, but it runs smooth, and does seem lighter. It appears the same mower is also sold under the Craftsman, Cub Cadet, and possibly other brand names. I believe it's made by MTD.

I did consider battery powered. I have a 60V DeWalt string trimmer that I really like, as well as a few 20V DeWalt power tools. The DeWalt 2x20V mower kit would have cost me about $100 more before tax. The Troy-Bilt was on sale, the DeWalt was not. Also, I was not near a Home Depot. Additionally, I too was not sure what lifespan I would truly get out of the batteries before they would need replacing. I think the answer is "it depends." I'd guess somewhere in the 4-6 year range would be most likely. The current style of DeWalt battery has been on the market for quite some time. That means a lot of people have tools that rely on that style battery. So, you would think that it would still be available for some time, otherwise a lot of tools would become obsolete. However, change will come eventually, and the older something is, the closer you are to the "next generation" solution, which may or may not be backwards compatible. While I feel that the DeWalt 20V line is well established in the market, their 40V line did get discontinued after a fairly short run, rubbing some customers the wrong way.

I would not count on some other brands to stick with the same battery interface as long as a major tool company with a large, and well established lineup.

Yes, I realize gas is not free, and its cost needs to be weighed against the cost of batteries. I also understand there are environmental / health concerns with small gas engines. I don't really care about any noise difference. I always wear ear plugs when using a gas mower, and they don't bother me. I'm not particularly concerned about maintenance either, based on my previous gas mower experience. I gave the old Craftsman almost no love for the last 50% of its life, and the deck rotted out before the engine quit. An added bonus of the Troy-Bilt is that is has a wash port to connect a hose to the deck for an easy cleaning.

I tend to overthink things, but this time, I just pushed myself to make a quick decision.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes
Bought the Costco Troy-bilt listed. $399, so not as good a deal as GTA. Calgary Deerfoot meadows. 3 left in stock.

Edit. > posted in a rush from the store in case anyone wanted to make the trek before they sold out. Thanks to all the posters here for your helpful comments. The battery life comments were taken to heart. I have old drills from Sears where when the battery died the replacements cost more than new drills. And yes before they died they slowly lost performance. Gas isn’t perfect but it’s the best option for a self propelled.