Tags:
[OP]
Mar 25, 2003
399 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa

Lawnmowers - What is the difference?

Quick question.

I saw a Toro lawnmower on sale this week at home depot.

What is the difference, besides price, between Home Depot and small engine shops.

The features seem similar but they don't have comparable model numbers.

I need to get a gas mower this year and am looking for any advice.

Thanks,

Paul
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
I saw the Toro's at HD today. I've never bought a mower but I need one for my first house. The big diff between them is gas or electric. The electric is great for small lawns and gas is gas.

I'm getting the self propelled electric start. Its about $570 but my thought is this. I'm likely going to keep it for 20 years and during that time I dont want to have to pull a cord 20 times on a hot day to get it started and the self propelled feature is nice on a hot day too.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
30 upvotes
Sarnia
probably the best bet is to go on the toro website and see what the differences are between the models. Generally speaking though you can have two identical models except that one will have a Honda engine and cost more and the other will have a B&S or similar engine non Hnda engine.

Aluminum decked models cost more than the steel deck version though both might look identical. Personally makes no difference to me. I've never yet had a steel decked lawnmower rust out on me. And if you're getting a self propelled model then the little bit of extra weight in a steel deck mower doesn't matter anyways.

Electric start is nice UNTIL it breaks down and doesn't work then it's frustrating. These new lawnmowers and particularly the better brands like Toro etc are always easy to start on the first or second pull year in and year out.
If you take them in for a yearly or every two year tune up you should never have any problems. Neglect is what kills lawnmowers.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
[OP]
Mar 25, 2003
399 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
I will have another look around. It is hard to find a non self propelled mower these days.

I am just look for a good gas mower, not self propelled, that is very good at mulching.

Thanks for the replies

Paul
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8082 posts
346 upvotes
pbenish wrote: I will have another look around. It is hard to find a non self propelled mower these days.

I am just look for a good gas mower, not self propelled, that is very good at mulching.

Thanks for the replies

Paul

costco's got a Poulan Pro one with a 160cc Honda engine for $299. (the self-propelled is $399)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)