Home & Garden

Lawsuit over B.C. condo owner's overflowed toilet highlights danger of flushing floss

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 1:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8817 posts
5781 upvotes
Kootenays

Lawsuit over B.C. condo owner's overflowed toilet highlights danger of flushing floss

#1, #2, toilet paper and nothing else! (Not even Kirkland wipes!)

"VANCOUVER -- A legal dispute between neighbours at a B.C. condo building that began with an overflowed toilet highlights one of several reasons people should never flush dental floss.

The case was decided this week in the province's small claims court, which ordered condo owner Robin McLean to pay $1,270 for water damage caused to his downstairs neighbour Xiangfei Kong's home.

McLean's toilet overflowed on July 20, 2020, spilling water that ultimately left Kong with a hefty bill for ceiling repairs.

A plumber later found a blockage eight feet deep in McLean's drain made up of floss and toilet paper, according to an invoice presented to the Civil Resolution Tribunal."
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lawsuit-over-b-c- ... -1.5453564
5 replies
Aug 22, 2009
581 posts
139 upvotes
Guelph, ON
How is it not common sense that you shouldn't flush dental floss down the toilet? How stupid are people? Do they think that toilets are some magic portal to another dimension or something?
Feb 22, 2017
342 posts
239 upvotes
VifferFun wrote: How is it not common sense that you shouldn't flush dental floss down the toilet? How stupid are people? Do they think that toilets are some magic portal to another dimension or something?
Well if the extended lore on Pottermore is anything to be believed, that’s how the wizards did it pre-toilets
XD
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, really hate stupid ppl....I can't even...why is floss going down there, was he flossing while doing a #2??
Doesn't everyone have a trashbin near the toilet?
My past condo I've heard stories of similar crap throw in there, there was even some JEANS(!) found in the water reservoir collector thing. Don't ask me how/why.

Like OP said, only human waste and TP. I don't even do those supposed 'flushable' stuff, that's bs and I don't trust them at all.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3293 posts
2661 upvotes
Toronto
The real question is how and why did they let it keep overflowing so much so to cause so much damage lol
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1542 posts
1309 upvotes
Winnipeg
People need to stop treating toilets like trash bins. Even on TV...if I see one more show with someone flushing pills down the toilet...

That said, I had to laugh at this from the article:
Part of his argument was that his son, who "only has six teeth and has never used dental floss," was living in the unit at the time, according to the tribunal's decision.