• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2009 7:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
2 posts

Lawyer cost for adding another name to the House Deed

Like the title said, I need to add another person to the deed of the house as a second title owner of the property. My question is how much will the lawyer charge me for that type of service?
4 replies
Oct 28, 2007
634 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
We called our lawyer to get that done and it was 125$.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19177 posts
1669 upvotes
I looked into this when I got married, and most people I talked to said it is rarely useful and unless you have special circumstances just a waste of money (for a spouse anyway). Was told it is more important to have a proper legal will and power of attorney, to make sure *everything* gets handled, not just the property.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23442 posts
5165 upvotes
where I belong
brunes wrote: I looked into this when I got married, and most people I talked to said it is rarely useful and unless you have special circumstances just a waste of money (for a spouse anyway). Was told it is more important to have a proper legal will and power of attorney, to make sure *everything* gets handled, not just the property.
I agree

Also, keep in mind, when you want to REMOVE the new person, it'll cost another lawyer fee again, and more importantly, a disposition of that person (and probably land transfer tax)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4169 posts
16 upvotes
We got it done when we renewed our mortgage (switching lenders in the process.) In fact they required it because I was between jobs at the time so the approval was based on my wife's salary. It cost us nothing because the lender covered all the legal fees. The paperwork is mildy amusing because it says I sold my wife a 1/2 share for $1 plus natural love and affection.

In BC I think you can add a person to the title yourself for a nominal fee by visiting the land title office, but from what I understand, Ontario's land title system is a disaster so the same probably does not apply in your case.