LAX to cruise ship terminal transport

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2011 10:32 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
121 posts

LAX to cruise ship terminal transport

Hello fellow RFD'ers,
We (4 of us) are going on a Princess Cruise out of LA. Our travel agent says that Princess offers a transfer service from LAX to the ship terminal for $48 pp return (i.e. $192 for all of us). Does anyone here have any experience with alternatives? How much would a taxi be? Are there other shuttle services?

TIA,
Simon
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5895 posts
2731 upvotes
Markham
2 years ago was $90 for 4 of us in a taxi. ;) oneway
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3816 posts
1090 upvotes
I suggest booking with Express by Execucar and their Business Express service... you'll get a private minivan for the four of you cheaper than a taxi ($55 flat rate each way last time I did it) or upgrade to the regular Execucar sedan or SUV for a bit more (the Shared Ride service which shows up on the wbesite is just SuperShuttle, don't book that)

I've used them personally from the Cruise Ship to the Airport in LA (the van was waiting for us when we got off the ship), but i'm sure they work well both ways. I've also used other Execucar services in other cities. Never had an issue.

http://www.execucarexpress.com/

Never take the cruise line transfers. You get off the plane, get on a bus, sit on the bus until they fill it up, and then go. Same on the way back. Way overpriced for what you get. SuperShuttle is even worse because not only do you wait for the bus to fill up, but then you often get a long tour of the city too!

Are you sailing out of San Pedro or Long Beach?
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5404 posts
2112 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just rent a car and do a one way drop off...

Hertz 555 E Ocean Blvd, Suite 111, Long Beach, CA, United States

Avis
249 E Ocean Blvd, Ste 104
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8761 posts
3209 upvotes
Toronto
airmail wrote: Just rent a car and do a one way drop off...

Hertz 555 E Ocean Blvd, Suite 111, Long Beach, CA, United States

Avis
249 E Ocean Blvd, Ste 104

That's actually not a bad option. But remember to drop everyone off at the cruise terminal first, then one person go to return the car, and still have to catch a taxi from the dropoff place to the cruise terminal, maybe $12 taxi cost (including tip).

I had dropped off at the Avis location before, no problem. They have a small flip type of opening for the key to be dropped in. Had also dropped off at the Budget location not too far from Avis, and had problem.

At Budget, it was a drawer type of setup, where you put the key in a small box-hole, then need to slide that in, but it was stuck. Could not slide anything in, even if no key nothing in the slot/hole. I ended up leaving the car at their parking lot and next morning after I had to leave the hotel early, asked the hotel to call Budget to come and pick up the key. They came late to pick up the key, and charge me for 1 extra day. So don't do key drop off at Budget.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8761 posts
3209 upvotes
Toronto
Had done the Supershuttle twice. The first time was good. The second time the guy just kept driving to different places to pick up/drop off people, even to opposite direction of where we were supposed to go, making the trip way longer than necessary.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2010
5895 posts
2731 upvotes
Markham
The taxi goes by meter but you can ask for a flat rate like I did. $90 included a stop at Walmart to pick up 2 case of water/ sunscreens and othe stuff :) . the wife was in walmart for 30mins :facepalm:
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
121 posts
Interesting idea, but time is a little limited for the transfer and what you have suggested below contains a (potential) PITA factor I am not willing to deal with.

Arrgh wrote: That's actually not a bad option. But remember to drop everyone off at the cruise terminal first, then one person go to return the car, and still have to catch a taxi from the dropoff place to the cruise terminal, maybe $12 taxi cost (including tip).

I had dropped off at the Avis location before, no problem. They have a small flip type of opening for the key to be dropped in. Had also dropped off at the Budget location not too far from Avis, and had problem.

At Budget, it was a drawer type of setup, where you put the key in a small box-hole, then need to slide that in, but it was stuck. Could not slide anything in, even if no key nothing in the slot/hole. I ended up leaving the car at their parking lot and next morning after I had to leave the hotel early, asked the hotel to call Budget to come and pick up the key. They came late to pick up the key, and charge me for 1 extra day. So don't do key drop off at Budget.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5404 posts
2112 upvotes
Winnipeg
Its pretty simple...Get off the plane at LAX pick up rental car drive to long beach car rental site drop off car...Key drop off is only used after hours...Then call a cab and takes you right to the front of cruise terminal. around 10 bucks..
Jun 25, 2008
576 posts
258 upvotes
airmail wrote: Its pretty simple...Get off the plane at LAX pick up rental car drive to long beach car rental site drop off car...Key drop off is only used after hours...Then call a cab and takes you right to the front of cruise terminal. around 10 bucks..

+1. We were able to swing by a couple of stores for supplies / booze (if sneaking in luggage using rumrunners), plus we had spare time so we also stopped for lunch at El Burrito Jr.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5404 posts
2112 upvotes
Winnipeg
MikeMontrealer wrote: +1. We were able to swing by a couple of stores for supplies / booze (if sneaking in luggage using rumrunners), plus we had spare time so we also stopped for lunch at El Burrito Jr.

Or if you make homemade wine, instead of wine, bottle it with your choice of alcohol, then seal it and label....Most cruise ships allow a few bottles of wine on board.