None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1375 posts
441 upvotes
Vaughan

Laying Patio Stones - Question about the base

I'm working on a small area of patio stones (6ft by 2.5ft). When I put my shed up, the doors scrape the grass so I'm placing extra patio stones in front of the doors.

I've already excavated and placed about 3-4 inches of HPB. I've read that normally you can just put the patio stones on top of the hpb but I've already purchased limestone screening.
Can I add another 2 inches of limestone screening on top of the HPB, tamp down and then put the patio stones and finish off with polymeric sand? or is better to just to place the stones on top of the HPB? I find that the limestone screening is easier to work with to level the ground. I'm ok if this is just a bit overkill but wondering if there any negative ramifications from doing it this way.

Another question I have is, when excavating space to plant trees/shrubs, is it necessary to throw away the sod? There are sections of my backyard that I plan on planting trees/shrubs in next summer. Thinking about excavating the area now so that there'll be less work next spring. I've already placed the excavated dirt including sod from the patio stone project on top of the grass in the area that I plan on planting.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3551 posts
908 upvotes
To answer your question:

- The use of the limestone screenings is fine on top of the HPB. I would call it overkill but you already purchased it and there is no harm in using it.

- Not sure I understand the sod question. You don't necessarily have to throw sod out. It can be laid down where you want and reused. Up to the homeowner's discretion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1375 posts
441 upvotes
Vaughan
azn_dan wrote: To answer your question:

- The use of the limestone screenings is fine on top of the HPB. I would call it overkill but you already purchased it and there is no harm in using it.

- Not sure I understand the sod question. You don't necessarily have to throw sod out. It can be laid down where you want and reused. Up to the homeowner's discretion.
Thanks for the #1. I was thinking it's overkill but don't mind that so long as there are no ramifications/harm to the foundation.

For #2, I'm not planning on reusing the sod I pulled out. I'm simply dumping it in an area where I plan on planting some trees or shrubs next year. In my neighbourhood, sod cannot be disposed via brown bags and it may actually cost me money to throw it out. So I was just wondering if I can repurpose it as dirt for the trees/shrubs next year. I was just wondering whether the sod will eventually dry up and can act like dirt for the the base of the trees/shrubs or if I should actually dump it out.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3551 posts
908 upvotes
In terms of sod for when I do any landscaping, you want to remove as much weight from it as possible, via taking any excess dirt off. It is what adds the majority of the weight to it. Cut it sod down to manageable strips and knock the dirt off. From there it should be fairly light, which you can then throw into your garbage bag. Depend on how much quantity you need to get rid of I guess. There also isn't any harm in using it as dirt. I will just decompose on its own.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)